Former France Telecom CEO to stand trial over employee suicides

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist

Didier Lombard, the former chief executive officer of France Telecom, will stand trial for moral harassment, a decade after a wave of employee suicides coincided with the restructuring he led.

The onetime monopoly, now known as Orange SA, and six of its executives have also been indicted on charges of moral harassment or abetting moral harassment, according to a statement from the company’s telecommunications workers union, CFE-CGC.

[Bloomberg]

Executive Member

Didier Lombard, the former chief executive officer of France Telecom, will stand trial for moral harassment, a decade after a wave of employee suicides coincided with the restructuring he led.

The onetime monopoly, now known as Orange SA, and six of its executives have also been indicted on charges of moral harassment or abetting moral harassment, according to a statement from the company’s telecommunications workers union, CFE-CGC.

[Bloomberg]

In those years, most of its workers had protected status that made it difficult to fire them, so the company gave some employees meaningless jobs to force them out, driving some to take their own lives, the union said.

When I see this (and it happens) the employees usually wake up to it and either ride it out doing as little as possible. AKA free money. Or they move jobs.

To suicide over this seems extremely odd. It'd be interesting to know the details of this when it comes out, there has to be more to it.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
When I see this (and it happens) the employees usually wake up to it and either ride it out doing as little as possible. AKA free money. Or they move jobs.

To suicide over this seems extremely odd. It'd be interesting to know the details of this when it comes out, there has to be more to it.

Basically the company was giving jobs completely under their competencies (I exagerate but like putting an engineer to open the mail) to make you depressed and push you to resign since they could not fire you.

It backfired and 24 committed suicide in a short period.

Pitbull

Verboten
Basically the company was giving jobs completely under their competencies (I exagerate but like putting an engineer to open the mail) to make you depressed and push you to resign since they could not fire you.

It backfired and 24 committed suicide in a short period.

Wait, so the French would rather die than resign? Jirre...

Arthur

Honorary Master
Outrageous to blame him for suicides. Quite sick, in my view. Never knew French workers were so afflicted by entitlement and impotence. Makes the Huguenot blood in me boil.

Last edited:

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Outrageous to blame him for suicides. Quite sick, in my view. Never knew French workers were so afflicted by entitlement and impotence. Makes the Huguenot blood in me boil.

Actually 60 suicides, not 24.

He reduced the headcount by 22000 jobs in 3 years and the shift of 10000 employees.

All of this done without:
- meeting the unions even once,
- without strategic workforce planning (which is a legal requirement in large enterprises), and
- without any employment restructuration plan as is compulsory legally when large enterprises shed over 50 jobs.

Managers were telling the people targeted: “we’ll do everything for you to leave, otherwise we’ll destroy you”. Managers had training on how to humiliate employees and demoralize them.

Managers had to shed the staff without firing people (too costly), otherwise the managers would get fired.

For example, a guy had a mother dying of terminal illness, his manager knowing it moved him 400kms away overnight...

A BTS technician was moved overnight as a salesman in a shop without any training on sales, products...

People were frequently moved to another office 100kms away.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Work work these guys often and chatting to my colleagues who did when when all this was going down it’s some pretty crazy stuff.

Like being moved to new offices and upon arriving there is literally nothing but an open office space.

Literally getting paid to do nothing. As in nothing at all because there is nothing.

But when today it’s near bloody impossible to get anything done with them. Compared to other clients they are hands down the most painful and most of it is purely unnecessary complication.