Former student uses killer USB to destroy over R800,000 worth of college computers

eg2505

Honorary Master
well its at least less than the damage caused by the riots at UJ and wits.

avk

Just on a side note....and yes, I know I'm being pedantic...but here goes anyway.

Regarding the article heading, 'Killer flash drive'.....not 'killer USB'. :rolleyes: USB is the industry standard, not the actual device, which uses USB.

Suspect99

Executive Member
Just on a side note....and yes, I know I'm being pedantic...but here goes anyway.

Regarding the article heading, 'Killer flash drive'.....not 'killer USB'. :rolleyes: USB is the industry standard, not the actual device, which uses USB.
Exactly. It pisses me off when people call a flash drive a usb. Flash drive is even shorter to say. 2 syllables vs 3

gamer16

Honorary Master

eg2505

Honorary Master
potato, potato, tomato, tomato...

being very pedantic there @avk.
kind of like these grammer nazis, who honestly cares? am I writing a theses on interstellar wormholes and Eisenstein rosen bridges?

reactor_sa

Executive Member
potato, potato, tomato, tomato...

being very pedantic there @avk.
kind of like these grammer nazis, who honestly cares? am I writing a theses on interstellar wormholes and Eisenstein rosen bridges?
Well I also came here to see what a "killer USB" is

SmuGS

Akuthota inserted the “killer USB” device into 66 computers on the New York college campus, and reportedly recorded himself doing so – which helped the FBI to catch him.

Moron...

Daruk

Honorary Master

Yes, pedantic.

Swa

Honorary Master
Akuthota is an Indian citizen who was in the US on a visa after having earned his masters degree in business from the college in 2017.
But it's the Muslims that should be watched.

P924

Expert Member

No, the device is not a flash drive. The original article calls it a "USB killer" - as in USB port killer, which it is (I am pretty sure everybody understands what it is without adding port). It's our local article-rewriter that screwed it up.