Fortnite: Raging teenager

schuits

Expert Member
So my teenage son is addicted to fortnite. Fine, I guess, I play games too.
The problem is he's constantly shouting at the computer and his friends, like way too loud.
The SO and I are getting tired of reprimanding him.

So I'm writing a system app that will monitor the microphone input levels. When it exceeds the limit I deem acceptable the program takes action. Now at first I thought it would give him 1 warning, and then kill the Fortnite executable. But this will probably just fuel his rage. So instead I have now written it to play back his own microphone input when he starts getting loud. Creating a sort of feedback loop. Any thoughts?

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Yea...or you know...... you could unplug and send him to The Outside to catch a glimpse of the real world.

Maybe suggest he goes to talk to the neighbours that way for an hour.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Just uninstall the game. Sounds like he needs a time out. Its annoying little brats like this that make online games cancer at the moment.
Exactly why I've stopped doing online racing. It's gotten seriously out of hand.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Agreed with most of the above. When I was at home, my parents didn't use corporal punishment, but in no uncertain terms were their wishes to be respected. Many, many privileges were forfeited by stroppy teenagers, who figured out quickly it was better not to be stroppy.

Edit: re the app - I'd just kill the executable. You don't want to troll your teenager, you want to discipline him.

gamer16

Honorary Master
The problem is he's constantly shouting at the computer and his friends, like way too loud.

So I'm writing a system app that will monitor the microphone input levels. When it exceeds the limit I deem acceptable the program takes action. Now at first I thought it would give him 1 warning, and then kill the Fortnite executable. But this will probably just fuel his rage. So instead I have now written it to play back his own microphone input when he starts getting loud. Creating a sort of feedback loop. Any thoughts?
That's a good idea that is, do it. A belt is a better idea but yeah you know.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator

Or bluescreen\reboot the PC.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
You're treating a symptom, not a cause. It's simple - 1 hour of gameplay a week during the week. He can pick the time. Weekends he gets double that - again, he can pick the time. If he rages, his session is expired and you pull the plug on the PC. I don't see how the hell you as a parent is afraid of "fueling his rage".

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
Your son sounds like a arsehole. He needs some sorting out. I would hate to see what type of adult he is going to become.

I would pull the plug on the PC as soon as he gets loud and he can then use it again the next day. If he does it again, in two days time etc etc