Fortuner, Everest or ...?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
The suspension is way different though, especially on the Everest.
Still feels like a bakkie because of the chassis.

Some of the more premium SUVs mentioned here drive like actual cars and have far more features...

Jaws677

Expert Member
Do you drive like a ****?

If "yes", then get the Fortuner. If "No", get the Ford.
Do you wear a bomber jacket and live in Boksburg? Do you drink Brannas and listen to Worsie Visser ?

If yes then get the Ford

Crowley

Executive Member
Do you wear a bomber jacket and live in Boksburg? Do you drink Brannas and listen to Worsie Visser ?

If yes then get the Ford
What should you drive if you answered yes to 50% of those?

ebendl

Expert Member
Test drove a 2018 Ford Everest LTD tonight with 97,000km on the clock.

Unfortunately the previous owner messed up the interior a bit (looks like he transported raw wood on a dusty red dirt road somewhere) so I gave it a pass, but wow the thing is packed with features.

I guess this is where my practicality part comes in -- while it is great to have the third row seats collapse automatically at the push of a button, I can't help but worry that it will break at 150,000km with the seat halfway collapsed and unable to move by hand :p

Sayf777

Expert Member

Some of the more premium SUVs mentioned here drive like actual cars and have far more features...
Far more features?

I've driven a ranger and everest and they quite different.

I've driven a fortuna and it honestly feels like a bakkie way more then the everest which was actually quite comfortable.

If you look at a 2017 everest limited you'd get Lane keep assist (the steering auto adjusts), adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring when changing lanes and when reversing, park assist (parallel parking)android auto, navigation, ambient interior lights, electric front seats, heated front seats.
That's the useful extras which for safety are very useful

TheChamp

Honorary Master

It does not feel like a unibody SUV or car but it also does not feel like a bakkie, it's somewhere in between, I feel Ford has done well with the suspension, coils instead of leaf springs make it more compliant, plus the shorter wheelbase makes things even more balanced.

The only thing that works against it is the ground clearance, but you need that for proper offroading.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Enter the Fortuner and Everest, which are a lot more solid and have a lot more space.
Don't know how you're comparing, but in my experience, the Fortuner feels much more cramped compared to a CRV. I feel like I'm crammed into a small coffin, when I'm sitting in a Fortuner, my knees is pressed from the center column. Where with the CRV, there's just space all around. Even the luguage space in the CRV is like a 100liter plus, larger than the Fortuner.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

If yes then get the Ford
If that's your criteria he needs to get a sooooped up Focu ST wif personalised plates. Something like DRPD GP or similar.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Don't know how you're comparing, but in my experience, the Fortuner feels much more cramped compared to a CRV. I feel like I'm crammed into a small coffin, when I'm sitting in a Fortuner, my knees is pressed from the center column. Where with the CRV, there's just space all around. Even the luguage space in the CRV is like a 100liter plus, larger than the Fortuner.
I think people gets confused by the huge exterior, the ladder frame chassis, solid diff and prop shaft takes up a lot of space, that's why there's even no room inside for the spare wheel.

ebendl

Expert Member
So this is something that might simply be a sampling bias (I've only looked at two 2nd hand Everests and ~5 Fortuners), but is the interior of the Fortuner a little bit more rugged and can take a better beating?

Also -- which boot is bigger? :p

Everest LTD -- the back of the 2nd row literally had holes in the fabric. 2017 model with 100,000km on the clock.

1622038308142.png

Everest XLT: fabric at the back also looked a bit worn. See imprints on the back of the 2nd row seats. 2018 model with 100,000 km on the clock.

1622038349357.png 1622038366290.png

2018 Fortuner, ~60,000km on the clock. You can see some scuff-marks on the plastic guards where the 3rd row seats clip in, but the fabric doesn't look bad. And the back of the third row is the same leather (or pretend leather, but still, better than fabric).

1622038501418.png 1622038690136.png

Craig_

Honorary Master
So this is something that might simply be a sampling bias (I've only looked at two 2nd hand Everests and ~5 Fortuners), but is the interior of the Fortuner a little bit more rugged and can take a better beating?

Also -- which boot is bigger? :p

Everest LTD -- the back of the 2nd row literally had holes in the fabric. 2017 model with 100,000km on the clock.

View attachment 1077889

Everest XLT: fabric at the back also looked a bit worn. See imprints on the back of the 2nd row seats. 2018 model with 100,000 km on the clock.

View attachment 1077891 View attachment 1077893

2018 Fortuner, ~60,000km on the clock. You can see some scuff-marks on the plastic guards where the 3rd row seats clip in, but the fabric doesn't look bad. And the back of the third row is the same leather (or pretend leather, but still, better than fabric).

View attachment 1077895 View attachment 1077901

Depends on how the car was looked after, I've seen cars (same model than mine as an example, with way less kilometers on) that are completely fcked inside for no apparent reason.

mrmrrza

So for all the Forester pundits, are we talking about the CVT gearbox, what is it like? Have driven an ASX and CR-V and I disliked their CVT gearboxes a lot when driving long distances that I could never buy one.

I see no mention of a Rav4 - is this a viable option? Seems safe (Euroncap 5*...) and less of a hijacking threat than the Fortuner - obviously a lot smaller?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
So for all the Forester pundits, are we talking about the CVT gearbox, what is it like? Have driven an ASX and CR-V and I disliked their CVT gearboxes a lot when driving long distances that I could never buy one.

I see no mention of a Rav4 - is this a viable option? Seems safe (Euroncap 5*...) and less of a hijacking threat than the Fortuner - obviously a lot smaller?
I have the CVT. On long distance cruising it's no different to any other gearbox. You hit top ratio and the RPMs sit at just over 2000 at 120km/h.
It's a pretty relaxing drive, to be honest. It just feels like you have a hectically slipping clutch when you accelerate - but you get used to it.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master

It's still a CVT, but much better than it used to be. Multiple reviews cite it as being one of the best CVTs.

Moving on to interiors, how does the Fortuner and Everest compare?
03_28.jpg

Arzy

Honorary Master
Personally on to my 2nd Everest now and absolutely love it. The Limited is nice but the XLT really doesn't leave you wanting.

Only advice would be to avoid the old 2.2 engine. I moved from that to the 2l bi-turbo and the improvement is amazing.

Arzy

Honorary Master
On the resale point, think I posted in the Everest thread.

I bought my previous one new at the end of 2018, registered in 2019. Sold it a month or so ago with just shy of 70000 km's done.

Got R400k for it where I originally paid R456k.

So just over 10% decrease for 2 years and 70k km's.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The OP is from East London
You need a SUV there with all the potholes.

Except the ones they’ve “fixed”

b7b87ece900d6ca9a733940e2fb475ee.jpg