Fortuner, Everest or ...?

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
So for all the Forester pundits, are we talking about the CVT gearbox, what is it like? Have driven an ASX and CR-V and I disliked their CVT gearboxes a lot when driving long distances that I could never buy one.

I see no mention of a Rav4 - is this a viable option? Seems safe (Euroncap 5*...) and less of a hijacking threat than the Fortuner - obviously a lot smaller?
If you not in a hurry, a cvt box is great drove the eclipse 2.0 N/A CVT as a rental in JHB, it does a really good job of sucking up potholes, but it sluggish as hell. The CVT does not know what to do half of the time, all I wanted was POWER, all it was doing is revving up the engine and nothing really happened. It felt like I was waiting for a turbo to kick in, but it has no turbo and it was allready screaming 5000 rpm!

Sinbad

Honorary Master
If you not in a hurry, a cvt box is great drove the eclipse 2.0 N/A CVT as a rental in JHB, it does a really good job of sucking up potholes, but it sluggish as hell. The CVT does not know what to do half of the time, all I wanted was POWER, all it was doing is revving up the engine and nothing really happened. It felt like I was waiting for a turbo to kick in, but it has no turbo and it was allready screaming 5000 rpm!
I suspect that's more an asthmatic 2 litre NA engine lugging a big body around, than the gearbox.

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
So if you had a R400k budget and could choose between the two, what would you go for?
I sold my 14 month old Everest yesterday (25,000 km), to the Ford dealership that I bought it from, for what I paid for it. Granted I did get a R50,000 discount when I bought it. I had actually had another, slightly less, offer from another person and they ask that I get proof of warranty and service plan. On contacting the dealer I bought it from he offered what I paid for it.

Not sure what the resale on 4 tunas are.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
224c0d20c2bfd79ded6b4bcc3165a170.jpg

My first tank
Mainly freeway to be fair.

I have dual zone climate control, reverse camera, huge sunroof, Bluetooth audio (missed android auto by 1 year), satnav, auto lights and wipers, USB and aux sockets. Not sure what other bells and whistles you'd need...
Is yours the 2.0, 2.5 or 2.0T?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I sold my 14 month old Everest yesterday (25,000 km), to the Ford dealership that I bought it from, for what I paid for it. Granted I did get a R50,000 discount when I bought it. I had actually had another, slightly less, offer from another person and they ask that I get proof of warranty and service plan. On contacting the dealer I bought it from he offered what I paid for it.

Not sure what the resale on 4 tunas are.
Did you enjoy the Everest while you had it?
From looking at Autotrader they both hold similar values with the tuna being slightly better, Saffas has an unnatural obsession with Toyota for some reason.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Fortuner!!! That said, all the advice about a Subaru isnt off the mark. I have a 2016 XT Forester and it is absolutely amazing to drive, especially offroad.

In fact I prefer driving it offroad to my v8 4x4 truck :p Equal fuel usage hahaha

That said, the fortuner is really good, spacious, powerful and its a toyota build to go offroad. But at 400k budget, you need a used option. I recommend taking one for a test drive.

And as a fairly large person (tall), the Ford is going to be inadequate. I've tried them all, including the latest explorers and well definitely not the right size for somebody 6ft 4 and up. Everest is the same.

There is a reason why people here in North America dont really use Fords as overlanding vehicles... go figure...
Yeah look Im not quite at your 7 foot Jolly Green Giant level :D But I'm not short at 6ft 7 either.
I guess when I start test driving then I will see how it all fits.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I'm in exactly the same scenario. Looking for a 4x4 SUV for between R400k and R450k.

Actually bought a Fortuner 2.8GD-6 4x4 2016 model with 100k on the clock, but the wife worried so much about it being stolen (on holiday), so I cancelled the deal near the end. Her sister (who camps a lot) told us stories about stopping at a pub in the middle of nowhere, and the Toyotas have to stop behind a special barricade with an extra guard to prevent them from being stolen. I've seen this myself in Pretoria (where they had the Toyotas drive into Rademeyers instead of letting them stop outside on the street.

The resale value on these are incredible. The guy who bought that Fortuner in 2016 bascially lost R100k of the value of the car! Same for reliability: My neighbour has a 2012 Fortuner with 320,000 km on the clock and they've never had major engine problems with it.

I also like the fact that you can remove the third-row seats of the Fortuner with a spanner -- yes, it looks sucky, but it gives you the space back. Not possible with the Isuzu MUX, the Ford Everest or the Pajero Sport.

Pajero Sport btw has a smaller boot than the rest, which is kinda a bummer.

I'm supposed to go and test-drive a couple of Everests next. I'm also not that trustworthy of a Ford doing 200,000+ km but people seem to love them.
Yeah man, the theft/hijack aspect isnt ideal but its far less of an issue in East London than other places. Pretty much every second car on our streets is a tuna and I havent heard of any being hijacked.
I think it will really boil down to what the best deal I can find is, Im buying 2nd hand so will be looking very carefully.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
You know the Fortuner and Everest are built on the same platform (ladder frame chassis) as the Hilux and Ranger? :unsure:

I stand by the Forester recommendation then. It will feel more like your car, compared to the Fortuner feeling like that bakkie in Namibia. The boot is a bit smaller and you don't get 7 seats, but still...

Thank me later :p
Yeah Its something I was worried about, having a bakkie based SUV makes it pretty tough but not the most comfortable.
I have always been a massive Subaru fan, but their resale - and sometimes bizarre styling - is putting me off a bit. I know for general comfort they will be better.
I will give one a test drive, more options is always a good thing.