Fortuner, Everest or ...?

Leo_

So my wife has decided that due to Covid and international travel being out for a while, that we should really explore SA instead.
I like the idea and there are tons of little towns and random places we would like to see.
My 3 series isnt really going to cut it for cruising 100km+ dirt roads which are fairly common to some areas.

So I have been looking, Im not really interested in the smaller SUV's like the X-trail, CR-V, Kuga etc. Those all just seem like hatchbacks with a bit more ground clearance.

Enter the Fortuner and Everest, which are a lot more solid and have a lot more space.
So if you had a R400k budget and could choose between the two, what would you go for?
Is there anything else obvious that Im missing that I should consider?

Not really interested in a double cab, those things are horrible to live with on a daily basis.
For me the Fortuner is a bit of an off-shoot when compared to Toyota's other SUVs. I feel like the SUV progression is something like CH-R -> RAV4 -> Land Cruiser 150 (Prado) -> Land Cruiser 200 (300). The Fortuner is just a Hilux with 7-seats and a SUV body (albeit slightly better suspension).

I feel the Everest almost competes with the Land Cruiser 150 rather than the Fortuner (however they do fall in the same category).

The Everest feels bigger on the road. It feels heavier, and wider. However it does feel more well put together and more luxurious. It has more features and creature comforts. Objectively the Everest is the better vehicle - It trumps the Toyota in almost all aspects.

That being said, if I got a Fortuner at a good price, I would for that over the Everest. It just feels rugged and utilitarian. It almost has a drive-anywhere attitude about it. It creaks, it rattles, NHV isn't the best and the engine isn't the most powerful - But you can throw it at anything and it will survive. As long as you know it's not a 'Sandton SUV' it will be great.

Go test drive both, and request if you can take it on some off-road paths - and see which one you most resonate with. Be subjective about your decision and choose the one you will really enjoy waking up to and driving to the middle of nowhere with.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
So my wife has decided that due to Covid and international travel being out for a while, that we should really explore SA instead.
I like the idea and there are tons of little towns and random places we would like to see.
My 3 series isnt really going to cut it for cruising 100km+ dirt roads which are fairly common to some areas.

So I have been looking, Im not really interested in the smaller SUV's like the X-trail, CR-V, Kuga etc. Those all just seem like hatchbacks with a bit more ground clearance.

Enter the Fortuner and Everest, which are a lot more solid and have a lot more space.
So if you had a R400k budget and could choose between the two, what would you go for?

Not really interested in a double cab, those things are horrible to live with on a daily basis.
Duster diesel 4x4. 5.1-6l/100km fuel economy. Reliable engine (Merc use it). More affordable, less crying if someone keys it or you damage it. Cameras all round (front, left, right, rear). Go look at one and make up your mind. Don't write it off. My 5c.

JohnMao

Executive Member

Fortuner without a doubt. Good resale value too.

PS: I had a double cab for years. They're easy to get to live with. The newer models are also comfortable in their daily drive like our current one.

JohnMao

Executive Member

PS: I had a double cab for years. They're easy to get to live with. The newer models are also comfortable in their daily drive like our current one.

JohnMao

Executive Member

JohnMao

Executive Member
I haven't heard of the Everest yet, but did some reading.

it looks like it's based off the Ranger chassis...which would mean that the Everest is to the Ranger like what the Fortuner is to the Hilux.

Sounds decent, looks decent. Hope the price is decent. Biggest benefit is it's not a Toyota - so less of a hijack risk.
Er, what? It has been out for years now.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I ended up buying a 2019 Isuzu MU-X 4x4 with 12,000 km on the clock for a very good price.
The front looks good on those, but man I just cant get used to the back end.
I havent really looked at the apart from external appearance, but Im sure they are good cars.

ebendl

Expert Member
The front looks good on those, but man I just cant get used to the back end.
I havent really looked at the apart from external appearance, but Im sure they are good cars.
Really? Looks quite "standard" to me:

1622664878664.png

You're not thinking about the Pajero Sport?

1622664939208.png

mrmrrza

Thinking maybe this and the old XT (turbo) make some difference.

Drove the 2021 2.0 and 2.5 Forester this weekend and when the pedal is pushed they remind me a bit of back in the day when you phoned the Telkom call center and were on-hold for an age before something happened. I need to get one onto the highway with some hills to see what that is like. Lots of nice gadgets and comforts on the ES models but the motor/CVT gearbox - not fully sold!

@Rocket-Boy - have you driven the Forester yet/ any closer to a purchase?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Thinking maybe this and the old XT (turbo) make some difference.

Drove the 2021 2.0 and 2.5 Forester this weekend and when the pedal is pushed they remind me a bit of back in the day when you phoned the Telkom call center and were on-hold for an age before something happened. I need to get one onto the highway with some hills to see what that is like. Lots of nice gadgets and comforts on the ES models but the motor/CVT gearbox - not fully sold!

@Rocket-Boy - have you driven the Forester yet/ any closer to a purchase?
Yeah I have driven a Forester, they are great cars. The local dealership on the other hand is not great and the two colleagues who owned Foresters both got tired of dealing with their poop and sold their cars.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Thanks everyone for the advice, I ended up going with an Everest 3.2 limited from 2018.
It has just under 120k on it but I have extended the warranty with an original Ford extended warrant, so should be fine on the mechanical side for a while.
I really didnt want the 20" wheels that come with it but they will be fine until I replace them with something a bit more AT focused.
I have done a bit of off roading and its a remarkably capable car, great clearance and does all of that while feeling like you are sitting in a lazy boy!