Found your religious home? Try The Force!

Leitmotif

Expert Member
Oh, I fully support their right to prance about in robes and pretend to be part of an intergalactic peacekeeping organisation. Nothing sad about that, worse things happen. See for instance scientology. Hell, I'd join the Jedi order in preference to any other religion.

However, a couple of points:

1. The U.N. has no authority over intergalactic space. Thus, calling an occasion 'Intergalactic tolerance day' would be outside of their scope.

2. According to the 'canon', in this case a movie series*, not every follower of the Jedi religion was a Jedi Knight. Knights were supposedly exceptional enough to be singled out at or soon after birth. Claiming that sort of status for every member of your religious sect seems a little presumptuous.

* Why not? Looked at objectively, the Bible is a rather deep novel.

Alan

Honorary Master
My sister said the Sky presenter asked the guy if he was a Jedi Knight and he said no because he didn't have "powers". :(

Bummer

Leitmotif

Expert Member
Ah. Well done to the interviewee, then. Wonder what the official term for a Force believer is in the canon. Then again, their faith literally manifests itself, so I suppose it's a matter of acceptance, rather than belief... it'd be a bit like 'The Church of Gravity'.

Alan

Honorary Master
I would love to see there "Jedi Knight's Training Camp"

1. Hours meditating to get in touch with the force.:cool:

Then
2. Two hours trying to get a small object to move off a table with out
physically touching it. :mad:

Or maybe

1. Hours of the Jedi Knight 2 P.C game to hone lightsaber reflexes. :cool:

Then
2. Trying to stop bullets with their lightsabers. :eek:

No wonder there aren't any Jedi Knights around

Leitmotif

Expert Member
Always wondered how a Jedi would block a .50 BMG DU with a lightsaber... one Ma Duece might've been all the Empire needed :)

Edit: their whole point is that there are Jedi Knights around... and a lot of them. More than Bhuddists and Sikhs, anyway.

Alan

Honorary Master
Always wondered how a Jedi would block a .50 BMG DU with a lightsaber... one Ma Duece might've been all the Empire needed :)
Who knows they might be more effective then our current "peace keepers".
Even the most hardened fighter would have a problem shooting a nutter waving a lightsaber from ten meters away with an AK. Either that or he will be scared off by the guy desperately trying to "force push" him over.

Alan

Honorary Master
Edit: their whole point is that there are Jedi Knights around... and a lot of them. More than Bhuddists and Sikhs, anyway.
"Hollywood Education" taken to extremes. I can't see any problems with it though. Interested to see was George Lucas thinks about it.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

I bet they would stop them Neo style...

Leitmotif

Expert Member
I bet they would stop them Neo style...
Fascinating how a moment's thought after writing something down seems to condense your thinking processes. Assuming Jedi powers existed, I don't believe that they would be able to block kinetic projectiles. However, with procognitive reflexes, they might well be able to dodge faster than a speeding bullet... or at least, a hasty trigger finger. :p