Four farmers accused in the murder of Coka siblings

Benedict A55h0le

The circumstances don't help. Many people who are employed in the municipal district lives in those communities. People are angry, a mother lost her children and I believe the one Coka was engaged.

What happened on that day is irrelevant, all the community know is that two brothers died, and they support their plight by evoking prior grievances. Add the land question, add the political meddling, etc. The circumstances are explosive.

The state will give their support to the communities in those areas as they always do, other than evicting them...

Think about Yende the security guard, he may have also lived in those communities. Where is he going now, innocence won't help him, he is ostracised, what about his relatives in those communities?

This is a pot boiled over because the state allowed it.
Its easier to steal while citizins are fighting each other over something. It is also very nice for clinging to power by having an enemy for the majority. It does not look like the farmers can get a fair trial, and if they are innocent and let free they will not be safe. The question is what will other farmers do?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Big Daddy Liberty will be hosting a podcast deliberating over the political narratives vs. contested truths @ 19h00. Please note, disclaimer alert, BDL is IRR or a Daily Friend contributor.

rambo919

Honorary Master
Big Daddy Liberty will be hosting a podcast deliberating over the political narratives vs. contested truths @ 19h00. Please note, disclaimer alert, BDL is IRR or a Daily Friend contributor.
TBF he is one of their more sensible personnel.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

AFRIFORUM APPOINTS ATTORNEY TO MONITOR PIET RETIEF COURT CASE​

BY AFRIFORUM | APR 22, 2021

AfriForum has appointed an attorney to closely monitor the court proceedings in Piet Retief to ensure that justice prevails. This case relates to the five men who were recently arrested in the Dirkieskop area in connection with an incident in which two men died. The five suspects are being charged with murder.

The formal bail application has started this week. AfriForum has personnel in Piet Retief who are monitoring protests in the town. They also provide AfriForum’s head office with real-time information.

“AfriForum condemns the ideological opportunism with which groups are protesting without knowing all the facts about what happened during the incident. These groups are inciting people to protest. AfriForum will continue to watch this case closely,” says Marnus Kamfer, AfriForum’s Legal and Risk Manager for Community Safety.

The court proceedings have been postponed until Monday 26 April 2021.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

Government calls for peace in Mkhondo following protests linked to Coka brothers’ murder​

Government has called for calm in Mkhondo, formerly Piet Retief, in Mpumalanga after violent protests following the killing of two brothers on a farm last month. Protestors shut down the town ahead of the five accused’s bail hearing set down for next week.

The five men face two counts of murder and one of defeating the ends of justice.

Briefing the media on last night’s Cabinet meeting, acting Minister in the Presidency, Khumbudzo Ntshavheni, told the media in Pretoria that cabinet would like to see the law take its course.

“Cabinet condemns the recent senseless killing of two brothers Zenzele and Amos Coka on a farm in Mpumalanga. The siblings were part of (the) locals seeking for employment in the farm. Cabinet commended police for the quick response in arresting the alleged offenders who have since appeared in the Piet Retief Magistrate’s Court. Cabinet called for calm in the community to allow justice to take its course and for the arrested face the full might of the law,” says the Minister.

On unemployment, Ntshavheni says the government is determined to continue to seek ways of creating jobs particularly for the youth. This comes as many people lost jobs during the coronavirus pandemic.

“The employment stimulus has supported the livelihoods of over 60 539 beneficiaries through the transfer of support, including production vouchers for subsistence farmers. Over 300 000 of these opportunities came from placing young people as assistance in schools across the country through the basic education initiative. This has played an important role in strengthening the learning environment in schools,” she says.

Cabinet has committed to improve the state of all ports in South Africa in an effort to improve the country’s economy.

Ntshavheni says President Cyril Ramaphosa’s recent visit to the Port of Durban and the Transnet Headquarters is a sign that the government is serious about alleviating congestion at the ports.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Oh my... the investigator is arguing in the court the public urgency. Uhm, he is not supposed to make that argument.

A police officer/investigor/judge/nobody in that court is qualified to discuss matters pertaining to threats to national security. Not even Cele himself is authorized to make decision on what is or is not a threat to national security. Any decisions or public broadcasts must go through Ayanda Dlodlo or Zizi Kodwa.

This officer could be suspended as he has potentially leaked classified information on what could be or is considered a threat to national security. But I suspect this is nothing more than the usual juvenile political coercian and infantile opportunism tactics from an officer looking to score some points.

This is what happens when politics enters a court room; facts fly out of the window and the air gets polluted with hyperbole, fear mongering and shameless thumb sucking.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
A police officer/investigor/judge/nobody in that court is qualified to discuss matters pertaining to threats to national security. Not even Cele himself is authorized to make decision on what is or is not a threat to national security. Any decisions or public broadcasts must go through David Mhlobo and SACIA.

This officer could be suspended as he has potentially leaked classified information on what could be or is considered a threat to national security. But I suspect this is nothing more than the usual juvenile political coercian and infantile opportunism tactics from an officer looking to score some points.

This is what happens when politics enters a court room; facts fly out of the window and the air gets polluted with hyperbole, fear mongering and shameless thumb sucking.
I think some context is missing from this article but the officer as an expert witness can give opinions that relate to the case and make observations. If he is out of line objections would be made and ruled on accordingly, so he wasn't really "arguing" as Fulcrum29 puts it, but merely giving evidence and opinions.

Solarion

Honorary Master
I think some context is missing from this article but the officer as an expert witness can give opinions that relate to the case and make observations. If he is out of line objections would be made and ruled on accordingly, so he wasn't really "arguing" as Fulcrum29 puts it, but merely giving evidence and opinions.

I see what I see and I'm sticking with. Call me a stubborn git or a pessimist. I am also nortoriously difficult to gas light. Talking about threats to national security is blatantly trying to persuay the court room with political fear mongering. To think that politics is not at play here is unrealistic considering the shoot the boer and the current status quo and what happened with the Coligny farce I mean trial.

Sollie

Honorary Master
I think some context is missing from this article but the officer as an expert puppet witness can give opinions repeat cues that relate to the case political climate and make observations. If he is out of line objections would be made and ruled on accordingly, so he wasn't really "arguing" as Fulcrum29 puts it, but merely giving evidence and opinions.
FTFY to be more factual. Objections were made.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I see what I see and I'm sticking with. Call me a stubborn git or a pessimist. I am also nortoriously difficult to gas light. Talking about threats to national security is blatantly trying to persuay the court room with political fear mongering. To think that politics is not at play here is unrealistic considering the shoot the boer and the current status quo and what happened with the Coligny farce I mean trial.
I wasn't trying to gas light you, whatever that means, I don't have any intentions to call you names. We are allowed to have different opinions and you are also allowed to stick with yours.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Daily Friend / IRR podcast:

Gabriel Crouse talks about his experiences and what he has learned, he is the IRR reporter whom was attacked in town, well, his car was stoned,

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore

He did the same with the Coligny trial, hedged all bets on them being guilty and never once commented on how much of a farce that was then vanished after it was made apparent it was a farce. Save your breath ;)

skimread

Honorary Master
All these opinions and discussion are useless. Even the court case will be useless. Farmers will be painted as having a common cause rather than defending themselves. That having gun proves intent rather than self-defence.

What farmers need to do is wear body cameras like the police do in the US. Only then can the world see that it is self-defence. Otherwise, the world sees it as racist.

Why was the Marikana massacre whitewashed? Those protestors didn't bring guns to the meeting. Like Piet Retief, they were also protesting unemployment, working conditions and the owners being wealthy but the local community poor. The significant difference between Marikana and Piet Retief is the availability of video cameras. Video cameras let us see how murderously violent protestors were in Marikana and that the ones with guns acted in self-defence.

People put cameras in their cars because pedestrians claim the car hit them to get money. Surely in the reparation narrative world you should also have body cameras if you own something that a poor local community member wants to take for themselves by justifying it using victimhood, racism, correcting the wrongs of the past or it is reparation.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

Mpumalanga Agri urges restraint in farm shooting case​

Mpumalanga Agriculture has expressed concern about some government leaders and members of the public pre-judging the five accused who have appeared in the Piet Retief Magstrates’ Court in connection with the killing of two men on a farm in the district earlier this month.

A statement issued on Wednesday, 21 April by the association’s executive committee called on politicians, community leaders, civic organisations, the media, and members of the public to refrain “from making provocative and polarising allegations that incite tensions among communities”. This would ensure that the correct suspects responsible for the “tragedy” on 9 April be charged and prosecuted for the offences.

Monica Nyuswa, spokesperson for the National Prosecuting Authority in Mpumalanga, told Farmer’s Weekly that while the suspects had not yet been asked to plead, the bail hearing that took place on 18 April and 19 April had been set for continuance on 26 April.

She added that more arrests were imminent in the matter, but declined to reveal the identities of those who would be arrested. No charges had to date been brought against any of the surviving job seekers.

Mpumalanga Agriculture’s statement said that following the fatal shooting incident on Pampoenkraal Farm, the organisation had received a complaint from a farmer in the Dirkiesdorp area that 1 500 bales of fodder had been burned in what was suspected to be arson stemming from heightened tensions in the local community.

Robert Davel, CEO of Mpumalanga Agriculture, told Farmer’s Weekly that he had received unconfirmed reports that a number of farmers not involved in the shooting incident had been victimised or threatened on social media, with their names and photographs allegedly published alongside.

Davel also highlighted a 12 April statement made by Mpumalanga’s premier, Refilwe Mtshweni-Tsipane, in response to the Pampoenkraal Farm deaths in which she said, “It is extremely unacceptable that such incidents are occurring in our communities. The law must take its course and justice must be served. We cannot tolerate any acts of criminality and or racism in the province”.

Mpumalanga Agriculture’s statement said: “The present culture where certain groups are consciously declared guilty or not guilty without [first] confirming the facts and without trial, as in the case of the Pampoenkraal incident, contributes to increased tension, polarisation, and lawless behaviour.

“To prevent a repeat of the incident on 9 April at Pampoenkraal, the SAPS is requested to stop [these] lawless and intimidating acts by criminals immediately by applying the law without fear or favour.”

Davel added that Mpumalanga Agriculture and other industry organisations had recently held a constructive meeting with leaders of Mpumalanga’s Department of Agriculture and Land Administration, in which it was agreed that they should all work towards restoring calm in the Piet Retief area and surrounds.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I don't know who have listened to the Daily Friend podcast I have posted above, but it adds a lot more detail to the events than what is being reported on by mainstream media which seems to avoid this more so than to report on it.

I am disappointed in News24 that they don't have an article which reports on the proceedings as it happens. Everything as reported needs to be pieced together...

Gabriel Crouse said in the podcast that when the investigator gave testimony that he was discreetly being shown notes during his procedure. It is mind-boggling as to what is going on.

Nqindi

Expert Member
I hate cases like these because they are never about the underlying legal merits of the criminal case - mostly political agendas. People have already made up thier mind based on thier prior political convictions.