Four Joburg shop owners arrested after allegedly offering cops R100 000 bribe

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
That's got **** all to do with it. The fact that they turned down 100k in cash (25k for each officer) is something to be recognised for, considering some officers can be bribed with R100

They could have just asked for another 100k and left it there.
Now they can share the R500k.

AdrianH

Expert Member
That's got **** all to do with it. The fact that they turned down 100k in cash (25k for each officer) is something to be recognised for, considering some officers can be bribed with R100

I disagree with them being recognized for not taking a bribe. I don't get recognized at work for not stealing stationary, or not abusing the internet. Unfortunately SA has become so corrupt we feel we need to recognize the people that don't steal or are not corrupt.

blah99

They would if the entire station wasn't aware of it. As alluded to above, they could've asked for additional R100k or 2 but they chose not to.
And how do we know it was really 500 000 and not 800 000? Like said above, the police should not be praised for not being corrupt, it just shows how corrupt the police really are.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
And how do we know it was really 500 000 and not 800 000? Like said above, the police should not be praised for not being corrupt, it just shows how corrupt the police really are.
How do you know they're honest about the amounts? I'm just glad they turned in 4 people who tried to bribe them.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Yes, it's great that 4 Pakistani money launderers are locked up for a few days, FWIW well done (see caveat below).

Where in that article does it say that there were 4 officers being offered a bribe?

Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department Chief Superintendent Wayne Minnaar told News24 that the suspects had offered officers a large bribe to prevent them searching their premises.

"Officers followed up information today of suspects who were doing money laundering at their shop," Minnaar said.
"At arrival at the shop, four suspects offered officers R100 000 bribe. The officers also discovered over R500 000 in money at this location and the suspects were detained at Johannesburg Central Police Station for money laundering, as well as for bribery and corruption."
Since when are JMPD tasked with combating money laundering (as opposed to SAPS), shouldn't JMPD be doing their traffic troll thing with a camera under a bridge somewhere (and refusing to take bribes in the bushes behind the camera)?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Yes, it's great that 4 Pakistani money launderers are locked up for a few days, FWIW well done (see caveat below).

Where in that article does it say that there were 4 officers being offered a bribe?

Since when are JMPD tasked with combating money laundering (as opposed to SAPS), shouldn't JMPD be doing their traffic troll thing with a camera under a bridge somewhere (and refusing to take bribes in the bushes behind the camera)?
Crime prevention is part of their mandate. If they discover something that falls oitside that, they call for SAPS backup. No?

j4ck455

Executive Member
Crime prevention is part of their mandate. If they discover something that falls oitside that, they call for SAPS backup. No?
Maybe they did call SAPS, maybe SAPS didn't answer their phone (bloody likely).

When it comes to procedure, I have to wonder if JMPD obtained a search warrant before conducting the search.

Anyway ra ra JMPD and all that, even though I agree that not taking a bribe is not something that deserves praise.

I would be far more impressed by JMPD officers that arrested corrupt JMPD officers and caught them in the act of taking bribes.