Foxconn finds underage workers in factory

HammerDown

Expert Member
I know there is more involved, but what I respect about the Chinese?

They WANT to work.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Yeah, I doubt whether it's a problem for the Chinese, as much as it is for the West.

jikajoe1

eish Apple why don't you take 00,1% of your profits and give back to those kids to go back to school? This will make me look differently at Apple products.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Yes, because only Apple products are made by Foxconn. :wtf:
Well, it wouldn't hurt Apple's image one bit to help in some visible way to help sort out all the problems at all their factories using some of their massive profits. We all know it's not just Apple that is implicated but they are the big brother in the family and the world looks upon them to take the lead. It's just how it is perceived to be (rightly or wrongly). Apple stated that they have these very stringent audit processes at Foxconn. How did that not pick up this? There is much skepticism around the company Apple uses for these audits. If I was their PRO manager/director I would urge the company to do more visible interventions. It will be cheap and easy to do but with huge profits in sentiments/perceptions.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
A clear - credible media disseminated - ultimatum from Apple to Foxconn will really help things improve for all those affected. Apple could start a joint front with other OEM's to fight the evils together ... create a jointly funded watchdog body. Where there is a will there is a way. Not enough is done at present.

chris_meier

Apple stated that they have these very stringent audit processes at Foxconn. How did that not pick up this?
Possibly because the factory in question does not manufacture anything for Apple.

The Yantai facility has “no association” with any work Foxconn does for Apple Inc. (AAPL), it said in another e-mail.
Every single company that uses Foxconn needs to take a tougher stance - just because Apple happens to be their largest customer does not excuse any of the other customers from getting more involved. Foxconn employs over a million people in MULTIPLE factories, and their other customers have been awfully quiet on Foxconn's policies.

Last edited:

timmie23

Still don't see why this is Apple's fault.
I wasn't blamed for the Cell C worker who committed suicide, even though I am a Cell C customer.

Apple is just a customer of Foxconn. It's not like they own them or are partners.

You guys should maybe do some proper investigation and read reports. Like this one. http://www.chinalaborwatch.org/pdf/Samsung Report 0904-v3.pdf

In it you will see how in most Samsung factories, they are forced to work 100 hours overtime a month. Sometimes only getting 1 day off a month. Go do some proper research for a change.

GreyBush

Executive Member
Foxconn is Apple's largest manufacturing partner and makes products for Dell, Sony and Hewlett-Packard among others. It said the Yantai factory was not making Apple products. It made the announcement after investigating Chinese media reports of underage interns among its Chinese workforce of 1.2 million. It said it had found no evidence of similar violations at any of its other plants in China.
From the wiki page...