free airtime voda & mtn

On the eve of the government introduction of new legislation controlling phones and sim cards, the networks are discounting sims and giving away airtime. After loading your airtime mtn put an extra R10 on your account and voda will add R12 if you enter *120*771# and press SEND or the CALL button.
{EDITED: mysterious! while mtn are just adding a R10, the othr srvce seems not to work any more!}

Last edited:

4cer

Expert Member
hmmm. what does that number really do??? Bit hard to trust someone on 3 posts.

Last edited:

andres101

Expert Member
4cer said:
hmmm. what does that number really do??? Bit hard to trust someone on 3 posts.
I'm also a bit Skeptik.

probably a premium rated USSD number (if there is such a thing)...

4cer

Expert Member
im thinking it either milks your account, sends ure airtime to someone, or something along those lines. anyone wanna try, im not wasting my R600 i have in reserve.

Highflyer_GP

Honorary Master
i dunno about entering that number, but yesterday when i recharged for R30 on MTN they added R10 for free. so there is some truth in it. does anyone know whats happening :)

nGAGEd55

Expert Member
On MTN that *120*771# gives u the following msg:

Y'ello! Service coming soon
on MTN.Ringtones & Logos
@ R1! Dial *123# free from
a MTN phone & select a
menu option now!
It doesnt use any of ur airtime and neither do u get any.
BTW i donno if it might do smthing on normal PAYG sims, cos im on MyCoice TopUp

Highflyer_GP

Honorary Master
there's no special number to enter, just recharge as normal. i got an sms saying something about giving me R10 free as part of some promotion. checked the account balance and they really did credit it with R10. at first i thought "cool", but now i saw this thread and it makes me wonder what's happening :confused: not that we should be complaining, but does anyone know why they are giving away free airtime?

nGAGEd55 said:
@Skeptik, where did u hear this???
it was word of mouth really and it worked for me. It seems to be something called SmartCall. I tried a second time and got nothing except a small deduction so watch out:-(. OOPS SORRY! Maybe it works office hours only?

adsl3g

Expert Member
Yup, I also got R10 free airtime on a MTM sim i bought the other day to test their edge coverage in my area.

4cer

Expert Member
Hey THaNKS A MILLion Skeptic, i did it on vodacom, and my account has been credited with R12. quite nifty.

nGAGEd55

Expert Member
swordfish1 said:
so what is this gvmnt change thing? are they going to replace all sims?
AFAIK in future u'll have to register ur sim when u buy it and give ID and all that ****, so it'll cost more i guess because of all the extra admin. Then if ur sim gets lost or stolen u MUST report it to the police. thats what i heard, maybe sm1 else can tell us more?

I get "Cell Number not found for Recharge. If you have any questios please call smartcall on (011)5074789"

alchamy

Expert Member
Person said:
I get "Cell Number not found for Recharge. If you have any questios please call smartcall on (011)5074789"
Yup, and you get charged R6 for the pleasure of reading that.

nGAGEd55 said:
AFAIK in future u'll have to register ur sim when u buy it and give ID and all that ****, so it'll cost more i guess because of all the extra admin. Then if ur sim gets lost or stolen u MUST report it to the police. thats what i heard, maybe sm1 else can tell us more?
The reason behind it is for SARS to be able to trace transactions. They initiated the law for that reason. The ultimate aim is to make prepaid much more expensive so that people take out contracts thus enabling traceing to you. At the mo SARS is losing out on billions that simply cannot be traced because the peeps are doing the transactions over pre-paid phones.

alchamy said:
Yup, and you get charged R6 for the pleasure of reading that.
I tried again and I was charged less than R1 so I dont know where you get 6 from? It worked once for me and for the person above but I haven't worked out why. Smartcall is a different service provider and I am on Voda PAYG. It may be an anomaly but if we ask too many questions it may stop!

Last edited: