Free calls and movies on free Tshwane Wi-Fi

LPCPT

Would like to know what the whole experience is like. Maybe get a report on it.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Where do you get more information regarding [-]Tshwane[/-]Pretoria wifi networks?

nm, found it.

Last edited:

Pitbull

Verboten
I don't even pick it up near my house. I have seen it at the kids school though.

Luke7777

Executive Member
Wonder if they will lift their 250mb daily limit :) Was streaming World Champs swimming the other day for the kids at the pool and 30min later it refused to go on... at 4.5 mb a min that's about it :) Had to go over to 4G

Last edited:

HumanShield

It's actually not too bad. But after a while it slowed down to a crawl for me. I got gatvol and just reverted back to 4G. But while it did work I could stream iTunes radio without any hassles.

I was contracted there for a short-ish stint and at one of their buildings the service never had a 250mb limit.

joozka7901

But the Wi-fi is not strong enough.You really have to be next to the transmitting pole before you can enjoy the internet and its goodies,and this is literally being outside especially in Mamelodi.

Q-Tech

Is this service accessible to anyone with a wifi capable device ? Any registration required ?

I ask these questions because the provision of these communication services must surely be regulated in the same way as existing Telco operators - RICA is mandatory and the Telco must be able to comply with subpoena requests for call records, location information and court ordered wire taps in extreme cases.

If there is no regulation, this becomes a free, private, anonymous telco network for criminal elements to use and abuse without fear of discovery.