Free fibre speed upgrades - When you can expect yours

Nerhzelok

Expert Member
Well As per Vuma the line speeds for 20mbps should have been done by now - guess what? Still 20mbps...

All good. Just don't promise things and then it doesn't happen.
I don't recall seeing promises. Did they?

To my knowledge, they said it'd be a phased approach. It's only 3 days in, there's probably a lot of coordination required for this, and we're current experiencing a pandemic + a lockdown. *shrugs*

Reactions: air

Deandbn

I'm a little confused all the complaints about openserve / Telkom.
I have a 20mb/s fibre adsl line using openserve /Telkom and generally get the speeds I pay for.
Last night I tested with ookla Speedtest and got 6ms / 19.74 down / 9.5 up. This is fair speed in my opinion.
What are other member's thoughts on my speed?
I run 2 copies of Netflix quite happily at this speed. I don't think more speed will make any difference.

Last edited:

nemisiz

Can bet you when it is time to roll back it won't take 3 days :)
most users 1 minute after roll back date will be doing speeds test and getting original speeds.

DailyTech

come on Vumatel, it's the weekend now, I need to run 3 streams and also download stuff
:ROFL::ROFL::)

wingnut771

Executive Member
received an sms from afrihost: looks like it will only be done by the 6th for vuma 10/20 lines.

Last edited:

Temujin

Executive Member
Mine is done... vox/vumatel

Also received a mail from them talking about credit to account over this lockdown period or something? No sure if anyone knows what thats about?

detritus

Went through in the last hour or so. On Webafrica/Vumatel in Durbanville/WC, up from 50/5Mbps

entrepr

Expert Member
Why is it weird? It's not like they're the same company or anything?
The video providers are battling to keep up with the extra demand so they are slowing down the video codecs. That would reduce the demand on the lines, not increase it.

Also, there's no benefit to a customer having a link of twice the speed if their video streams are reduce. I can understand someone with a large-screen UHD TV celebrating a faster line speed if they are getting full-rate codecs, otherwise what's the point.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
The video providers are battling to keep up with the extra demand so they are slowing down the video codecs. That would reduce the demand on the lines, not increase it.

Also, there's no benefit to a customer having a link of twice the speed if their video streams are reduce. I can understand someone with a large-screen UHD TV celebrating a faster line speed if they are getting full-rate codecs, otherwise what's the point.
Only in Europe, not here, and for e.g. YouTube that's just lowering the default quality, not actually removing the option, and definitely a "slowing down" of a video codec. Netflix is just increasing the speed of its AV1 rollout I think (or timing coincides).

BlackSnow88

Voice and Data has been giving me the run arounds about the upgrades, they probably milking the situation. Pocketing the free bandwidth from vumatel and not passing it down to consumers.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

Oh.

I didn't know the increase in line speed from the FNO's in SA was only for video streaming.

In my house for example, there are now two of us working from home, accessing VPN and company resources. The extra capacity on the link certainly helps.