Free high-speed broadband for all Western Cape schools

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
The Western Cape vision is commendable and shows insight.

What would be useful is for journalists to give regular updates on actual progress (minus the spin) against promises and commitments

Mimen

Systemic based analysis before deployments

As a learning professional I have to add that using technology to distribute learning, like access to elearning and tablets, does not magically improve learning. I'm not saying this solution wont but I hope the solution is well planned and they looked at the impact, and consequences, at a systemic level i.e. teaching learners/ teachers how to use the hardware and the software, having a maintenance program in place, a lightning fast escalation path and help centre for the learners and teachers, instructional designers that can develop outcomes based training, outcomes linked to curriculum expectations and learner ability etc.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
As a learning professional I have to add that using technology to distribute learning, like access to elearning and tablets, does not magically improve learning. I'm not saying this solution wont but I hope the solution is well planned and they looked at the impact, and consequences, at a systemic level i.e. teaching learners/ teachers how to use the hardware and the software, having a maintenance program in place, a lightning fast escalation path and help centre for the learners and teachers, instructional designers that can develop outcomes based training, outcomes linked to curriculum expectations and learner ability etc.
+1

Everyone seems to think that it's a silver bullet - it's not - and if the above items are not taken care of, it soon falls into disuse, misuse and disrepair.

atomcrusher

Expert Member
The Western Cape Government is investing R3.8 billion over the next 10 years to bring high-speed broadband to all residents of the Western Cape – with schools the priority
What is considered to be high-speed broadband?
Telkom replied to a recent question I put to them that they have no plans to up the current 4Mbps max available ADSL connection in the small overberg town where I live.
Hopefully the WC government plans will change Telkom's future plans.

paul5186

Expert Member
Over 300 connected currently. Roughly 1500 in total to be connected. Minimum speeds of 10mbs.

Asha'man X

Expert Member
I happen to work at a large sized (1000 kids) high school here in CT. Don't believe everything that is said in the media. So far, Neotel or their subcontractors from Sonic Wireless have been out to us twice to do a site survey. A 12u cabinet was delivered, then installed. A few weeks later, a pretty high end Cisco switch was delivered, then installed. Since then, one more person rocked up to take a few photos and then vanished again. Initially we were supposed to be given a 10mb/s Wifi link, but we begged them to install fibre instead. They could even branch off that connection to the primary school across the road from us.

I went to a meeting with the number 2 head honcho a few weeks back, where it was mentioned that the strategy had now changed - if you had over a thousand learns, you would get 100mb/s right from the start. A few of my colleagues have managed to get fibre to their schools, since they are near existing fibre. Apparently the connection is pretty heavily shaped, most protocols have been blocked and if any changes are needed, one has to contact SITA in Pretoria. I've also been informed that the technicians installing this services often have no clue how to accommodate existing school network setups.

Overall, I really want this project to succeed. Saving 40k a year in internet costs means that money can be used elsewhere for the benefit of the kids. Unfortunately, my cynical side is saying that this project is not going to be as successful as they are hoping it to be.