Free Internet Access through WiFi Network

Big kudus to Neology, TheRoDent, regardtv :).

PS: I do know how how to spell kudos correctly, but I'm not keen on the the 'big ups' expression, so it's big kudus instead :).

What equipment does one need to get started?
[edit]:
OK, I see u just need a 802.11b or g wifi device. The range is 30-50m depending.
What do u need to be in range of to connect to the wifi mesh?

Last edited:
YES ! YES ! YES !

Now how is that .....64kb/s for free unlimited.

YES ! YES ! YES !

O I forgot to mention That I Bought a house in Mountain View.... Now that is some coincidence hey !!!

The Tshwane Community Network is a free IP service for the community of Tshwane. This is a best effort service with no service level guarantees. The current specified available speeds will be for users is the following:

Speed :

The community network will be limited to 64kbs per user. This limit may be changed without prior notice.

Please note:

* This service has generally has NO Internet Access Available
(Currently a free, rate-limited service is available but this will change)
* No technical support available to end-users on the community network.
* No servers of any type (gaming, FTP, VOIP, etc) are being provided by The City of Tshwane. If users decide to "host" such servers, there is no liablity associated with Tshwane.
* This is an open network. Users of this service are advised to have a secure firewall and virus protection if using this service.

Not really free internet access, but I am not being negative. Kudos to Tshwane Council and Neology for starting what could be the beginning of very affordable access to all.

Not really free internet access, but I am not being negative. Kudos to Tshwane Council and Neology for starting what could be the beginning of very affordable access to all.

"What is MetroFi?

MetroFi is a joint Proof of Concept(POC) between the City of Tshwane and Neology, to provide connectivity and services to the People of Tshwane. The aim of this is to prove the value and benefits of an "Open Access" network using a variety of "Last Mile" connectivity layers to provide services. MetroFi is being launched using a WIFI Metromesh as well as a WIFI Tower Network.

The services offered on this network will start with Internet connectivity as well as a closed Community IP Network. Additional services may be added over the period of the POC, and additional technologies may be integrated."

While this basic Internet access only allows for web-surfing, email and related services, and users have to share a limited bandwidth pool, it is an exciting development in the quest to provide low cost access.
Um, how is the any different from a telkom account, something we are paying over R700 a month for?

Bad to be a cynic but nothing is ever 'free'. Somewhere, somebody is paying. Um, must be us.

I read the same thing but i think you quoted it wrong as the no part is not in there.

I read the same thing but i think you quoted it wrong as the no part is not in there.

"What is MetroFi?

MetroFi is a joint Proof of Concept(POC) between the City of Tshwane and Neology, to provide connectivity and services to the People of Tshwane. The aim of this is to prove the value and benefits of an "Open Access" network using a variety of "Last Mile" connectivity layers to provide services. MetroFi is being launched using a WIFI Metromesh as well as a WIFI Tower Network.

The services offered on this network will start with Internet connectivity as well as a closed Community IP Network. Additional services may be added over the period of the POC, and additional technologies may be integrated."

Neology Prices

Internet Access is not free, although the closed Community IP Network is. Does not really equate to free internet.

Pitbull said:

Yep, it is > Metrofi

Neology Prices

Internet Access is not free, although the closed Community IP Network is. Does not really equate to free internet.

Yep, it is > Metrofi

KK i'm sorry missed that part. However there is a section that says internet is free for now but that WIL change... Probably sort of a promo period.

But who know... might even be cheaper then TelScum.

KK i'm sorry missed that part. However there is a section that says internet is free for now but that WIL change... Probably sort of a promo period.

But who know... might even be cheaper then TelScum.

Clearly Pitbulls have bad eyesight;) :D

At this point ANYONE is better than Telskommel

LMAO @ RVFmal

True that !!!!!

/ off to go check what neology charge for internet.....

MetroFi Internet Access 3Gig R350.00

Metrofi Account Internet Access

3 Gigabyte of traffic (Up and Down Combined)
Traffic is shaped (priority for browsing etc)
Instant *ACTIVATION*
Speed 128kbps Download 64kbps Upload
Connection Fee and Bandwidth all INCLUDED
No hidden Line or Access Costs

Top-up gig @ R 120 ..... Not that bad - 128kbs download for that price
Someone pinch me !!!!

SCREW THIS!!

WHAT
ABOUT
JOHANNESBURG!! :(

So when they have this set up, they can use the network for last mile access, can they not? So in theory neotel will be able to provide them internet access to give to the community.. So in essense bypass telkom...

SCREW THIS!!

WHAT
ABOUT

So when they have this set up, they can use the network for last mile access, can they not? So in theory neotel will be able to provide them internet access to give to the community.. So in essense bypass telkom...

LMAO @ Tekom !!!!.... exactly

LMAO @ Tekom !!!!.... exactly

Hehe.. So Neotel infact may have various options for last mile access.
Municipalities, GTS with powerlines, these mesh networks, and ofcoarse the hope for all of africa Wimax!!

...So in theory neotel will be able to provide them internet access to give to the community.. So in essense bypass telkom...
Now back to reality: NeOTel has its sights set on a CDMA wireless service, with CDMA modems that NeOTel customers would have to purchase or get "free" with a long-term-lock-in-contract - just like Telkodemonopolies does, as would any company given the opportunity to make money in exchange for some sort of a service.

So, I highly doubt that NeOTel would be impressed with wifi ISPs branching into the NeOTel network [obviously at a cost] and completely bypassing the CDMA lock-in business plan that NeOTel submitted to ICASA.

But only time [a lot of time] will tell...

SCREW THIS!!

WHAT
ABOUT

Now you are cooking with Gas.
And then Iburst teams up with Neotel, and IVY can keep LLU

Back