Free Internet speed upgrades for lockdown in South Africa – All the details

insect

Unsure if vox is doing something or if its a mistake or error.

Reached 100% of my 300GB cap last night plus the roll over from previous months - it currently shows : Data Available 0.00 GB

But I haven't been capped. Instead of 300GB base cap, it now shows 1000GB base cap. Data Allocated 428.06 GB

Are they giving capped customers extra data?

BobSA

South African Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and fibre network operators are working together to upgrade Internet speeds for free during the national lockdown in South Africa.

Vumatel first announced that it would upgrade the line speeds of existing users on its fibre network at no additional cost from 1 April until 31 May 2020.

To further assist ISPs, Vumatel and its interconnect partner have agreed to increase the bandwidth capacity of Network to Network Interface (NNI) at no additional charge for March, April, and May.
Looking at Afrihost's current situation I very much doubt any of their customer will benefit from this.

Afrihost cant even get paid for upgrades right let alone free upgrades.
I upgraded line line days ago now but still have my original speeds, Afrihost is very quick to take the upgrade fees but not provide the service.

Trying to get support and answers is the next challenge,

Their Client Zone support is non existent with no response in days.
Their online help chat services are all offline.
Their call center has a 80+ minute hold time.

Good luck if you with Afrihost.

@Afrihost-Gian
@AfriGuy

Wasp!

What a poor show from Metrofibre!!!
They have indicated that this promotion is not open to ISP's. This is only for customers are directly signed with Metrofibre.

jakehawk

Octotel not coming to the party I see. No reply on Twitter about this either. When this crisis is over, I'm moving to another FTTH provider.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Thanks for the 200Mbps WA...very handy indeed when it kicks in on 1st April.

EADC

Executive Member

South African Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and fibre network operators are working together to upgrade Internet speeds for free during the national lockdown in South Africa.

Vumatel first announced that it would upgrade the line speeds of existing users on its fibre network at no additional cost from 1 April until 31 May 2020.

To further assist ISPs, Vumatel and its interconnect partner have agreed to increase the bandwidth capacity of Network to Network Interface (NNI) at no additional charge for March, April, and May.
Might want to double check Metrofibre speeds where it doubled they just increased it by like 10mb

cavedog

Honorary Master
Looking at Afrihost's current situation I very much doubt any of their customer will benefit from this.

I upgraded line line days ago now but still have my original speeds, Afrihost is very quick to take the upgrade fees but not provide the service.

@Afrihost-Gian
@AfriGuy
They are indeed doing the free upgrades for both Vumatel and FrogFoot.

Franna

Expert Member
And what about DFA Business Fibre?

Now all employees working from home with faster internet using a VPN will cause a bandwidth bottleneck!

Pho3nix

The Legend

@Afrihost-Gian
@AfriGuy
Go into WhatsApp support and ask them to refresh your session. I’m on Vuma and did the above. Sorted in 8 minutes

BobSA

Go into WhatsApp support and ask them to refresh your session. I’m on Vuma and did the above. Sorted in 8 minutes
Thanks for the tip but it would help if their WhatApp service worked,

All users get is the below.

Thanks for reaching out to us on WhatsApp. Our team is currently offline. Please visit the Afrihost Help Centre (https://help.afrihost.com) for immediate help.