Free movie rentals in wake of DStv BoxOffice launch troubles

Bosvark@

Expert Member
mmmm... seems I will have to wait a while before giving this a try. Good idea though.

DefecteD

Expert Member
2 free movies, cool. was never gonna use the service but why not watch my 2 movies

devilfp

Must be a slep if you want to watch a movie and have to wait for it to download. I guess it's only available for a certain time period before it expires and you have to re-rent it. Must make carefull planing when you want to watch it.

Valis

Expert Member
Must be a slep if you want to watch a movie and have to wait for it to download. I guess it's only available for a certain time period before it expires and you have to re-rent it. Must make carefull planing when you want to watch it.
That would be 48 hours.

Vice

Expert Member
+1
Usually people don't rent movies to watch them tomorrow:erm: I thought they said their movies are already available on the PVR in the background:confused:

al360

this is so stoopid because i refuse to pay 700 a month now dstv excludes me from renting movies but they download all the movies to my pvr and i can watch all the trailers WTF just more reason not to use DSTV anymore
keep it coming dstv your day is nier

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
I ordered my first movie on Sunday and within a few minutes it was available (less than 20 min if I have to hazard a wild guess).

Jan

Drifting in the black
The details of how the service works is in an article that was published on MyBB last week when the service launched. The idea is that you don't wait for the movie to download first - they are meant to be available on your PVR and then you just pay to have them unlocked for watching.

In other words, the movie is downloaded whether you request it or not, you just have to pay to unlock it.

Usually people don't rent movies to watch them tomorrow:erm: I thought they said their movies are already available on the PVR in the background:confused:
The issue doesn't seem to be on the download side, but with the billing & unlocking side. So the movie might be on your PVR, but it can't get unlocked for you to watch it.

sualk_10

@Vice - the movies are available immediately (they do download in the background). It's the same setup like DoD a.k.a. Catchup.

@DrYes - the movies are in HD (720p).

devilfp

The details of how the service works is in an article that was published on MyBB last week when the service launched. The idea is that you don't wait for the movie to download first - they are meant to be available on your PVR and then you just pay to have them unlocked for watching.

In other words, the movie is downloaded whether you request it or not, you just have to pay to unlock it.

The issue doesn't seem to be on the download side, but with the billing & unlocking side. So the movie might be on your PVR, but it can't get unlocked for you to watch it.
Then surely there should be a limited selection to chose from as each non HD movie takes around 400 MB minimum hdd space. :confused:

Jan

Drifting in the black
MultiChoice provided us with the following update earlier this afternoon, which has been added to the article.

“One of our core systems in processing Box Office requests malfunctioned this weekend. Our engineering teams are working around the clock to resolve the problem. We have implemented an interim solution to process rental requests to ensure that subscribers can continue to enjoy BoxOffice. We will advise when the problem is resolved,” MultiChoice said.

MultiChoice also explained that the two free movies were offered to subscribers who successfully registered between Friday (22 July 2011) and 02h00 on Saturday (23 July 2011).

Jan

Drifting in the black
Then surely there should be a limited selection to chose from as each non HD movie takes around 400 MB minimum hdd space. :confused:
Yup. There is a selection of 15 movies.