Free Netflix, Hulu unblocking through Axxess DNS Suite

snobee

So does that mean a subpoena aimed in the direction of Axxess would mean they could cough the names of those subscribed to the service and whether they are accessing so called illegal content? Which company or group in SA would do this if it was the case? Or is this completely unlikely?

krycor

Honorary Master
So does that mean a subpoena aimed in the direction of Axxess would mean they could cough the names of those subscribed to the service and whether they are accessing so called illegal content? Which company or group in SA would do this if it was the case? Or is this completely unlikely?

I think they haven't thought this thru lol.. I wonder what side deals & partners were made for the local streaming company and how kindly they will take to this as it reduces netflix cost to 100zar

kianm

Honorary Master
Going to be a very long way to go for this to really be an alternative to uno. I actually just upgraded my uno sub to gold

Juice

Expert Member
Circumventing region restrictions illegal in SA

Maybe it's time for the people who maintain this kind of carp to either join the 21st century or go extinct. This kind of stupidity is a direct contributor to piracy.

crackersa

Honorary Master
well, I think this is bull***** on axxess part and will be reporting them directly to the US authorities. what axxess doesn't realize is they have now just updated their travel status to prevent them from going to any countries that have an extradition treaty with the US...

remember a couple years ago about the guys trying to get around the online gambling and funds leaving the US?

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
if it's illegal to pay for it, then we might as well get it for free elsewhere. why pay for something when it's equally illegal to get it for free?

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Naspers fancy lawyers are going to rip them a new one.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
well, I think this is bull***** on axxess part and will be reporting them directly to the US authorities. what axxess doesn't realize is they have now just updated their travel status to prevent them from going to any countries that have an extradition treaty with the US...

remember a couple years ago about the guys trying to get around the online gambling and funds leaving the US?
SA has had a signed extradition treaty with the US since 2001. ;)

You're assuming of course that services like Unotelly are illegal in the US - why?

crackersa

Honorary Master
SA has had a signed extradition treaty with the US since 2001. ;)

You're assuming of course that services like Unotelly are illegal in the US - why?

only for certain things, mainly violent criminals.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill

lol. Much hysteria. So wow.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
only for certain things, mainly violent criminals.
Mainly for crimes punishable by one year or more incarceration which is typical of countries with extradition treaties with the US.

But you didn't say why you think these services are in fact illegal.

furpile

Expert Member
In the article they linked about i being illegal to bypass regional restrictions they have the following scenarios:
1. License holder (studios) starts a civil case against you for copyright infringement (license fee per movie or series watched)
2. Platform (Netflix) suspends your service due to breach of terms (no penalty)
3. Local providers (Multichoice etc.) take legal action for copyright infringement (Same penalty as 1)

Now they way I see it, and a lot of this has been mentioned in that article:
1. Highly unlikely that any studio will try and lodge a civil suit against someone in a different country for a few thousnd bucks.
2. Netflix don't really care as long as you pay (They haven't really tried hard to block unotelly and hola etc.)
3. According to the article this is most likely. However, how will they know you've been watching netflix? According to SA law (ECA or some act, can't remember) it is illegal to monitor someone's online activity without their consent. This point was also raised when "SA's first online pirate" was caught. It is illegal for them to monitor your internet traffic to determine what you are downloading or streaming.

So there really is nothing anybody can do to you for streaming content from overseas.