Free or Open Source alternative to HyperTerminal?

Saajid

Expert Member
Hi all. Does anyone know of a free and/or open source alternative to HyperTerminal?

I am currently using the following program to access certain features on our PBX: HyperTerminal Private Edition ver. 7.0. This was installed for me by our service provider, but it is a 30 trial version, and is about to run out.

Is this just a Telnet client application? Why are these guys charging 60$ for it? Anything special about it?

Anthro

Expert Member
Download PuTTY and plug in the host and port..

Putty.png

PuTTY is an SSH and telnet client, developed originally by Simon Tatham for the Windows platform. PuTTY is open source software that is available with source code and is developed and supported by a group of volunteers.

You can download PuTTY here.

Last edited:

Saajid

Expert Member
Thanks for the responses. I've tried PuTTy but can't get it to connect.

With HyperTerminal, all I provide is the IP address and port number (23 in my case). PuTTy asks me to choose a protocol (SSH, Telnet, Rlogin, etc). I've tried all of them, but it still doesn't connect.

Bern

Expert Member
Thanks for the responses. I've tried PuTTy but can't get it to connect.

With HyperTerminal, all I provide is the IP address and port number (23 in my case). PuTTy asks me to choose a protocol (SSH, Telnet, Rlogin, etc). I've tried all of them, but it still doesn't connect.

Did you change the port number in PuTTY (next to IP address)? Are their any unique authentication and cryto settings perhaps?

warwickw

Expert Member
*is amazed that someone has not heard of putty before...*

Yup its either that brown stuff you use to hold window glass in place, or the white stuff your kid leaves on the carpet and you spend an hour getting it out.

Seriously though Putty is awesome the best terminal application out there SSH / Telnet / COM port it just works.