Free Speech vs Hate Speech

Emjay

Executive Member
I thought this would be an interesting thread to have open so we can drop links in here. There has been a lot of interesting OpEds and articles floating around in terms of the encroachment big tech is having on free speech, and how people are demanding more and more policing on speech they do not like.

There are rumours floating around that YouTube is about to do a massive shakeup in terms of its user policies, and how it polices content, so look out for that.

Please, this not a discussion about Islam.

To kick it off:

Emjay

Executive Member
You can't expect free speech on private platforms.
Yes, I agree. However, YouTube, Facebook and all of those other platforms should not be classified as such, and should be held to the same set of laws as any other company with an online presence.

saturnz

Honorary Master
Yes, I agree. However, YouTube, Facebook and all of those other platforms should not be classified as such, and should be held to the same set of laws as any other company with an online presence.
and which set of laws would that be?

Arksun

Expert Member
You can't expect free speech on private platforms.
Private platforms are the major contributors to normalising the erosion of free speech and setting the bar socially on what's hate speech and what's not hate speech. Ultimately influencing legislation later down the line.

Canada is already a nanny-state. Private platforms like Twitter and the like got the ball rolling on that one.

EDIT: Autocorrect

Last edited:

saturnz

Honorary Master
Private platforms are the major contributors to normalising the erosion of free speech and setting the bar socially on what's hate speech and what's not hate speech. Ultimately influencing legislation later down the line.
who cares, private is private, you understand how capitalism and property rights work right?

saturnz

Honorary Master
Can private companies now discriminate and choose who they do business with?

I support that.
If we are going to accept the ideology that is capitalism, in which private companies operate, then yes the argument is that the consumer can vote with their money.

I personally don't accept capitalism as an appropriate ideology, but thats a different argument.

rietrot

Honorary Master
If we are going to accept the ideology that is capitalism, in which private companies operate, then yes the argument is that the consumer can vote with their money.

I personally don't accept capitalism as an appropriate ideology, but thats a different argument.
The consumer can vote with their money, but can the business do the same? Can the business say we don't like your politics(or whatever) so we are not going to bake you a cake?

And everything you've posted so far about money on the forum would indicate that you do accept capitalism.

saturnz

Honorary Master
The consumer can vote with their money, but can the business do the same? Can the business say we don't like your politics(or whatever) so we are not going to bake you a cake?
I thought I answered it, the business can do whatever it wants, and the consumer can do whatever it wants within the context of appropriate capitalist behavior (however that is defined)

The business or the consumer need not justify or feel compelled to justify why they choose to do business with whoever they wish to do business with, this is how I understand capitalism.

Reactions: STS

rietrot

Honorary Master
I thought I answered it, the business can do whatever it wants, and the consumer can do whatever it wants within the context of appropriate capitalist behavior (however that is defined)

The business or the consumer need not justify or feel compelled to justify why they choose to do business with whoever they wish to do business with, this is how I understand capitalism.
I agree.

saturnz

Honorary Master
And everything you've posted so far about money on the forum would indicate that you do accept capitalism.
sorry just saw this

no capitalism "celebrates" usury in all its forms, I reject usury in all its forms