Free Speech vs Hate Speech

Bobbin

Executive Member
so whats stopping me from taking your stuff you bought at the free market
Social cohesion and trust could be one pressure that deters you from doing so, as you would lose trust from any other self-respecting citizen that would recognize you as a thief/threat based on our interaction.

Laws that recognize property rights are also a consideration though I'm no expert in this regard at all. Side note: Interestingly in the phrase, "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" - apparently "happiness" was substituted for property by Thomas Jefferson in the US Declaration of Independence as one of the three unalienable rights. -
Also, if you drive dangerously then surely you lose the moral authority to condemn dangerous driving. If you condone theft (and by committing it you condone it), surely you lose the moral authority to condemn theft against you (And those you love). So do unto others... I guess?

Also by being malevolent you're surely just encouraging a dangerous environment for yourself and your loved ones as you've condoned malevolence itself.

Ultimately nothing is stopping malevolence though. Even God, if you're so inclined, allows it until judgement day. There is an idea about the benevolent view of the universe, as it enables life (and the link thereof), but I wouldn't be able to expand on this idea without more study on my part. There is also Universally Preferable Behavior as an argument, but few people seem to have respect for the character that proposed it and there are many critics.

Last edited:

saturnz

Honorary Master
Social cohesion and trust could be one pressure that deters you from doing so, as you would lose trust from any other self-respecting citizen that would recognize you as a thief/threat based on our interaction.

Laws that recognize property rights are also a consideration though I'm no expert in this regard at all. Side note: Interestingly in the phrase, "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" - apparently "happiness" was substituted for property by Thomas Jefferson in the US Declaration of Independence as one of the three unalienable rights. -
Also, if you drive dangerously then surely you lose the moral authority to condemn dangerous driving. If you condone theft (and by committing it you condone it), surely you lose the moral authority to condemn theft against you (And those you love). So do unto others... I guess?

Also by being malevolent you're surely just encouraging a dangerous environment for yourself and your loved ones as you've condoned malevolence itself.

Ultimately nothing is stopping malevolence though. Even God, if you're so inclined, allows it until judgement day. There is an idea about the benevolent view of the universe, as it enables life (and the link thereof), but I wouldn't be able to expand on this idea without more study on my part. There is also Universally Preferable Behavior as an argument, but few people seem to have respect for the character that proposed it and there are many critics.
yeah no I'm done, you can't stick to a point

Bobbin

Executive Member
yeah no I'm done, you can't stick to a point
What??? You asked an insanely deep and open ended question that relates with morality itself, what in the blue f*** were you expecting?

Jissus boet, get a life - lol.

saturnz

Honorary Master
What??? You asked an insanely deep and open ended question that relates with morality itself, what in the blue f*** were you expecting?

Jissus boet, get a life - lol.
the context is property rights, morality is not the issue here- neither is driving a car, were we talking about driving cars? no thats once again, your strawman

Bobbin

Executive Member
the context is property rights, morality is not the issue here- neither is driving a car, were we talking about driving cars? no thats once again, your strawman
Where do you think rights and laws come from? Morality informs them. Hence if you're going to ask me how to justify a certain law or a certain right, that is a very difficult thing to do.

You asked me what stops you from stealing my stuff... I could've just said my fist? But that is hardly a good answer no? What gives me the right to defend myself or my property then?

It's only if society recognizes these things that it works.

Last edited:

saturnz

Honorary Master
Where do you think rights and laws come from? Morality informs them. Hence if you're going to ask me how to justify a certain law or a certain right, that is a very difficult thing to do.

where do morals come from?

is that another deep question thats going to open another pandora's box now...

You asked me what stops you from stealing my stuff... I could've just said my fist? But that is hardly a good answer no? What gives me the right to defend myself or my property then?

It's only if society recognizes these things that it works.

a society... so how does individualism relate to how a society operates, what if you are an individualist and I'm a communist, then what?

Bobbin

Executive Member
where do morals come from?

is that another deep question thats going to open another pandora's box now...
Some say their religion, and I suppose that's the end of it. Others, like myself, don't really have that luxury. But those others, like myself, also get to question.

Anyway I'm not sure how much I will be posting from here on as I'm going away for a while. Have a lovely vacation if you are, and all that good stuff :)

saturnz

Honorary Master
Some say their religion, and I suppose that's the end of it. Others, like myself, don't really have that luxury. But those others, like myself, also get to question.
if morals are going to inform laws as you say, I would think a less vague answer would be more appropriate

I disagree that laws are informed by morals, they may seem so superficially, but even the courts have identified that this may not necessarily be the case

Splinter

Honorary Master
if you ignore what I have to say, and don't remember what I have to say, then don't expect me to explain anything of substance to you
But I just quoted what you had to say. As usual, you just deflect.

Splinter

Honorary Master
I think I have demonstrated to a certain extent how capitalism and the principle of freedom of speech within the ideology of democracy do not work together.
No you haven't. You got capitalism totally wrong; therefore you cannot even begin to demonstrate anything relative to another concept.

kolaval

Expert Member
Tell them if they don't like it they shouldn't watch it. Easy really.

This idiot is just giving it unnecessary marketing. Where it could have gone mostly unnoticed.
So no free speech from them then?