Free VPNI connections now available at South Africa’s Internet Exchanges

Aghori

Honorary Master
Also a very easy way to log ALL your internet traffic if you are routed through a VPN :)

Genisys

Honorary Master
Ok, so let's ask the critical question, what does that mean to the rest of us?

Last edited:

sajunky

Honorary Master
Not sure. Typically it goes that way: various Internet providers will offer free VPN, everything will go through the central hub, NSA spy there.

ambo

Expert Member
Not sure. Typically it goes that way: various Internet providers will offer free VPN, everything will go through the central hub, NSA spy there.
Not that kind of VPN...

This is more likely to be used by various service providers connecting together systems that they don't want running over the public Internet. A cloud provider giving access into their private cloud for a customer of an ISP, carrying VoIP traffic securely to a hosted PBX system or connecting database backends on different networks together.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
I am pretty certain that the "Free VPN" is not the VPN consumers think, but rather VPNI which allows cloud- and enterprise-services to interconnect across multiple data-centres via VPN - i.e. it's not your typical OpenVPN session to hide dubious browsing history.

If it is really VPNI, then this allows companies hosting in the cloud to either burst into other DC's for capacity or DR-purposes. And I then also doubt that this by any means free as DC-companies would still carry the interconnect cost to burst for DR- or capacity purposes.

Let's see if someone can correct the original article or point me to a product page where this is properly described.

daffy

Expert Member
VPNI != VPN

Free VPN connections now available at South Africa’s Internet Exchanges

INX-ZA has announced that networks interconnecting through South Africa’s Internet Exchanges can now create free Virtual Private Network Interconnects to other networks.

VPNI not VPN
Come on, it was spelled right in the bloody press release from ISPA.

Did you think it was wrong? Did you think you knew better than the guys who implemented and now provide the service?

A VPNI is useless to the end-user, it's only something the actual peering provider can make use of.

sajunky

Honorary Master
I am pretty certain that the "Free VPN" is not the VPN consumers think, but rather VPNI which allows cloud- and enterprise-services to interconnect across multiple data-centres via VPN - i.e. it's not your typical OpenVPN session to hide dubious browsing history.

If it is really VPNI, then this allows companies hosting in the cloud to either burst into other DC's for capacity or DR-purposes. And I then also doubt that this by any means free as DC-companies would still carry the interconnect cost to burst for DR- or capacity purposes.

Let's see if someone can correct the original article or point me to a product page where this is properly described.
I prefer to trust Kevin Lancaster. :)

Kevin Lancaster

MyBroadband Editor
The article and forum post have been updated to VPNI. Thanks for feedback. Apologies for the error. The article mentioned both VPN and VPNI, which was inaccurate.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
It was a troll from my side, I admit, but it gives motivation, a good things. And I really trust you will be trying.

:)

HaHahaha.... told you so :whistling:

image.jpg

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
What makes this any different from having a physical link to JINX or the like? Surely you will still require a decent connection to JINX or the like if you want to do this VPN?

The lack of having your own physical link. A VPNI is really a private/virtual point-to-point connection between multiple data-centres. So Kevin could have POPs at JINX, CINX and DINX and could then use all three POPs to Sonarr the latest episodes of Desperate Housewives.

Think of it as a VLAN to different physical locations. It is virtual. It is also private. And a network, but to avoid confusion it is not a VPN. It interconnects. And I doubt it will be free (i.e. while the peering might be free, Kevin would still need to pay for his POPs).