Free VPNs which work with Netflix in South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Free VPNs which work with Netflix in South Africa

Netflix offers a wide range of content for South Africans, delivering far more series and movies than competing platforms.

However, the availability of content is dependent on your region, meaning that there is a selection of Netflix content which is available in the United States but not in South Africa.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
NordVPN. Purely as they sponsor so many tech-related YT vids.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Smartdnsproxy
Smartdnsproxy/Getflix work well without having to use a VPN
Does it work with other sites?
Sites or services? Smart DNS services like Smartdnsproxy/Getflix allow you to access loads of different streaming services. We mostly use it for ones other than Netflix.

konfab

Honorary Master
Sites or services? Smart DNS services like Smartdnsproxy/Getflix allow you to access loads of different streaming services. We mostly use it for ones other than Netflix.
Will give it a shot :thumbsup:

Went with NordVPN for a month to see how it would work.

BuckRogers

Can you get BBC ?

Emjay

Executive Member
Smartdnsproxy does not encrypt traffic or hide your IP. Smartdnsproxy will however allow access to georestricted content.

I use NordVPN as I like having the option to hide my IP address and gain access to restricted content, but it's really spotty at times. I would not use a free VPN because those services because underutilized quickly, and you will always be on the hunt for a new one. I would also be wary why that service is free, as carrying that traffic comes at a cost, especially Netflix traffic (which is the majority of any major ISP's traffic).

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Smartdnsproxy does not encrypt traffic or hide your IP. Smartdnsproxy will however allow access to georestricted content.

I use NordVPN as I like having the option to hide my IP address and gain access to restricted content, but it's really spotty at times. I would not use a free VPN because those services because underutilized quickly, and you will always be on the hunt for a new one. I would also be wary why that service is free, as carrying that traffic comes at a cost, especially Netflix traffic (which is the majority of any major ISP's traffic).
With smartdnsproxy you also get a VPN service included in your subscription.

I've tested it and it's every bit as good as a paid VPN, but you also get the benefit of a smart DNS.

They're running a special at the moment, $50 for 2 years...

Last edited:

Odracir

Expert Member

What do you recommend we use instead?

quovadis

Expert Member

If you use a DNS proxy essentially it replaces the DNS entries for Netflix or whatever service it is providing proxy for in different markets and then specifies a tunnelling service which you connect via to the appropriate end point so technically it does hide your IP for the services like Netflix etc.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Depends on what you want. If it's just US Netflix and Hulu then Windscribe. Wouldn't touch Nord with a barge pole since we don't know who the owners are, they pay for reviews and affiliates and have a bunch of tracking and analytics on their website while promising to give you anonymity. No thanks.

Emjay

Executive Member
TBH, I am not sure. I am going to give Mike Hoxbig's recommendation a bash this weekend.

I am cleaning out all my social media accounts, using the Brave browser, and want to push all my traffic through a VPN because I really don't like what's going on with these big media companies. I suggest people start protecting their personal data, while trying to circumvent this ridiculous georestrictions. This solution looks like it will cover everything I want in a neat package.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
With smartdnsproxy you also get a VPN service included in your subscription.

I've tested it and it's every bit as good as a paid VPN, but you also get the benefit of a smart DNS.

They're running a special at the moment, $50 for 2 years...
Yep - Getflix too.
If you use a DNS proxy essentially it replaces the DNS entries for Netflix or whatever service it is providing proxy for in different markets and then specifies a tunnelling service which you connect via to the appropriate end point so technically it does hide your IP for the services like Netflix etc.
Nice thing about a smart dns is that you can have one person watching Netflix US, another watching BBC, and another watching Showmax without having to worry about switching VPN nodes.