Free Vumatel fibre speed upgrades

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member

Vumatel and participating ISP partners will be upgrading the line speeds of existing users on the fibre network at no additional cost.

The free speed upgrades, which will be effective between 1 April and 31 May 2020, will assist people who work from home and stream educational services.

DeepFreeze

Vumatel and participating ISP partners will be upgrading the line speeds of existing users on the fibre network at no additional cost.

The free speed upgrades, which will be effective between 1 April and 31 May 2020, will assist people who work from home and stream educational services.
How about then upgrading upload speed for those on 1gbps....

jouda

Expert Member
Lets hope Vox will be on the list!

So, Am I correct in then saying, for example, that in future a 50MB line should cost what a 20MB line costs now?

This will put some pressure on ISPs.

Cowboy619

So, Am I correct in then saying, for example, that in future a 50MB line should cost what a 20MB line costs now?

No, its from 1st April - 30 April

CPTBoy

Well, Vox doesn't even have a 1Gbps option on their site ( I want to upgrade to that, but alas ).

So let's see if we get that for a month. I'm strongly considering switching to another ISP due to this.

websquadza

WebSquad
@websquadza Are you guys participating in this initiative?
Yes, Web sQuad is offering free upgrades for existing clients. We launched a promo with Vumatel on Wednesday that gives you your first two invoices for free if you sign up with us before 30 April 2020 (this includes migrations). And Vumatel upped the ante today with complimentary speed upgrades for existing clients starting on 1 April 2020. This complimentary upgrade will run between 1 April and 31 May 2020. During this period, you will be able to request a free upgrade to the next package up at no cost. Our commercial team are finalising this and will send out correspondence in due course.

On a side note, upgrades are a manual process with Vumatel (unless they somehow automate this for ISPs), and with the large number of clients expected to request this, please be patient as we process upgrades.

websquadza

WebSquad
this is going to absolute smash the exchanges during peak LMFAO
Pretty confident that they're ready for it! Funny to see Europe is already asking Netflix to drop traffic by 25%. @NAPAfrica have plenty of available capacity and are ready for the increase in traffic. INX-ZA are also geared up and ready. This week has already seen a massive jump in terms of consistency of traffic (longer peak periods) and volume from what we've seen! Time to stress test SA's internet!

Venomous

Honorary Master

Pretty much until end May.

It's their way of helping people work from home, so not permanent.

websquadza

WebSquad
let's see once everyone gets their shiny new 200/1000Mbps lines and all runs a speedtest at the same time, maybe we'll break the 1.1Tbps mark on NAP :p
I think it's time we add NAP total traffic to our NOC screens and bring out the popcorn!

rambo919

Executive Member
That's nice, he says from a small forgotten town with one fibre line (to the police station for some reason.... probably future big brother operations) but no plans for activation within this decade.