Free WiFi for Joburg

uchoose

I wonder what speeds they are looking at. If Telkom is involved they probable think 512K speeds will be ok.

The_MAC

Executive Member
First sort out the roads, water, power, litter etc.

No wait, lets do everything half-ass so that it seems as though there is progress..

S1ght

Expert Member
Tau said that the city is financially in the best shape yet with a net surplus of R3.4 billion at the end June 2013.
This is news to me :/ I always thought we had massive debt to pay back? Or is my non-financially orientated mind confusing me here? :(

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
So people living in Jozi continue to sh*t in buckets, yet we roll out a R1bn Wifi network and the city is in the best shape ever, yet the municipality is incompetent in keep street lights on, roads in safe condition, garbage removal working and all other services at an acceptable level.

Parks Tau clearly lives an illusion and has no clue about priorities. I would have rather spent R1bn to revitalise the inner cities, sort out public transport and all other basic services every citizen should have access to. TBH, free Wifi will make zero difference to the masses.

entrepr

Expert Member
Do a search and replace of every word of that speech with 'election, election, election, election ...'

The city has over-invested in their massive fibre network project which has gone on for years and hardly connected anything. The money has followed some of the roads, down a large sinkhole.

Maybe they think that LAN'ing a few arbitrary access point is going to justify the spend

entrepr

Expert Member
But soon they will be able to update their facebook statuses while they sh*t in a bucket.
I would also go for the free broadband (if I had nothing)

Rather a large pipe to the internet than a large pipe from my loo

MartyMarts

Spontaneous Interruption
I would also go for the free broadband (if I had nothing)

Rather a large pipe to the internet than a large pipe from my loo
I would probably too :eek: but that's because I know what difference internet connectivity makes in my life.
That said, I think that someone currently sh*tting in bucket would prefer a proper toilet first :/