Free Windows desktop application launched to monitor power cuts

Calico182

Expert Member
Hey guys,

We've just released a useful little application to monitor and act upon detected outages. Below is the press release for the application which should hopefully explain it a bit more.

A South African based software development house has launched an energy focused website and a free Windows desktop application that aims to help South Africans stay in control of the current power crisis.

Available as a free download from www.myenergy.co.za will be MyEnergy Monitor, a small desktop utility that will allow users to monitor the country’s fluctuating power status. It will give the user the ability to monitor selected load shedding schedules by location, for example, at home, at work, clients, suppliers and branches… simultaneously!

MyEnergy Monitor aims to eliminate the confusion surrounding the schedules currently available to the public and present only relevant information in a logical format.

In addition, MyEnergy Monitor will perform custom actions upon the detection of a expected power outage. These include a simple desktop notification, automatic computer shutdown and, for system administrators, Windows event logging.

Users can download the MyEnergy Monitor desktop application, free of charge, from www.myenergy.co.za.
Screenshots and more information about the application can be found on the download page.

We'll be keeping this thread up to date with any new updates (you can also check out the blog for news about the app). If you have any questions, requests, bug reports - we'll do our best to help you out. You can also contact us via the website.

Enjoy!

Calico182

Expert Member
great stuff!

ps - are images blocked in this category? can't seem to include a screenshot...

bdt

Executive Member
This, sadly, is THE must-have app in today's world - I plan to treat it as an essential tool everywhere I go! Kudos!

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
So the whole Pretoria is covered... and not the individual suburbs...

blecch... then this is still useless... :rolleyes:

bdt

Executive Member

Apparently, you're lucky to even *have* coverage; earlier this week I heard on radio that the nimrods that run that city didn't want to release stats in the name of preventing some kind of security risk!

Calico182

Expert Member

if you know of a public schedule for pretoria's suburbs, then please let us know - we had to make similiar arrangements as Eskom's schedule's don't cover any of the Port Elizabeth/Nelson Mandela Bay area - so made use of the schedule on the www.mandelametro.gov.za website.

Bloekom

Tshwane load shedding

Whenever there's load shedding, the page shows links to pdf files with details of outage by area and suburb. Be glad there's none now !

Calico182

Expert Member
Whenever there's load shedding, the page shows links to pdf files with details of outage by area and suburb. Be glad there's none now !
wow, that's not useful at all - so when you need to download the schedules, you have no power...

Bloekom

Tshwane outages

They publish the schedule in the mornings (I usually check at 08h00), but yes, if the first outage is at 08h00, it does not help a lot.

The Cosmos

Executive Member
Hey guys,

We've just released a useful little application to monitor and act upon detected outages. Below is the press release for the application which should hopefully explain it a bit more.

Screenshots and more information about the application can be found on the download page.

We'll be keeping this thread up to date with any new updates (you can also check out the blog for news about the app). If you have any questions, requests, bug reports - we'll do our best to help you out. You can also contact us via the website.

Enjoy!
kudos ! :D

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Also the tshwane stuff is usually pretty much wrong anyway... I don't think we were ever without power when we were supposed to be, and of course when we were supposed to be ok, poof it would go off.

I also see Durban doesn't seem to be covered?