Free Windows desktop application launched to monitor power cuts

Calico182

Expert Member
Also the tshwane stuff is usually pretty much wrong anyway... I don't think we were ever without power when we were supposed to be, and of course when we were supposed to be ok, poof it would go off.

I also see Durban doesn't seem to be covered?
The schedules from the http://www.durban.gov.za website are now included in the application, under the Eastern Eskom region.

If you still can't find a suburb/town from the Durban schedule, try restarting the app to make sure the older town list hasn't perhaps been cached.

IzZzy

Executive Member
Is it hosted internationally? Taking ages to load the website.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Looks good Calico ;) I would like to have the surrounding towns in my area though, Mpumalanga: White River, Nelspruit, Hazyview, Sabie and Graskop as well as possibly Lydenburg and Skukhuza.

Thanks ;)

Calico182

Expert Member
Is it hosted internationally? Taking ages to load the website.
unfortunately it is hosted internationally because there is a huge amount of schedule data - so the bandwidth costs for that would be huge.

but i must admit i haven't noticed any speed drops in the website since the link was made public. it's still fairly quick on my 384 connection here. what connection are you using?

Calico182

Expert Member
Looks good Calico ;) I would like to have the surrounding towns in my area though, Mpumalanga: White River, Nelspruit, Hazyview, Sabie and Graskop as well as possibly Lydenburg and Skukhuza.

Thanks ;)
thanks - you perhaps have a link to the schedule data for those areas?

Calico182

Expert Member
Not the slightest clue even where to look for it I must admit :p
i'm gonna improve the search function soon as the areas found in the schedules provided by Eskom are sometimes badly labeled and the actual name of the suburb is hidden in a long sentence of a location. had a look directly in the database this side and see that Nelspruit can be found in the Northern region under the name of "Mbombela (Nelspruit) - Delta" and "Mbombela (Nelspruit) - Nelsrivier/Marathon-Delta". Sabie, Graskop and Lydenburg are also under the Northern region. The other names aren't there though.

edit : cool - i'm a master :)

Paulr

Cool idea - thanks! Will run it at home and work and see how it goes.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
i'm gonna improve the search function soon as the areas found in the schedules provided by Eskom are sometimes badly labeled and the actual name of the suburb is hidden in a long sentence of a location. had a look directly in the database this side and see that Nelspruit can be found in the Northern region under the name of "Mbombela (Nelspruit) - Delta" and "Mbombela (Nelspruit) - Nelsrivier/Marathon-Delta". Sabie, Graskop and Lydenburg are also under the Northern region. The other names aren't there though.

edit : cool - i'm a master :)
Cool, thanks ;) :D :p

IzZzy

Executive Member
348k connection here too. On second thought I think it is my computer or internet connection because it all seems dodgy. I understand hosting it internationally in an economical sense, but could a copy of the program be uploaded to uunet? Pretty please? :)

Calico182

Expert Member
We have improved the search function in the MyEnergy Monitor’s location tool. Because of the way some names are stored in the Eskom load shedding, some users have had trouble finding their locations to monitor. For example, searching for “Nelspruit” wouldn’t immediately find the correct location as Eskom stores the name as “Mbombela (Nelspruit) - Delta”. The new search function will now find these locations.

If you haven’t already, you would have received a notice this morning when you started up the application that told you a new update was available for download. Click OK and the new updates are downloaded and the new version of the application starts up. Simple :)

If you are having trouble with the updater (let us know, please), then you can download the updated installer from www.myenergy.co.za/download/ and upgrade the app (you don’t need to uninstall the monitor - but make sure it’s closed first).

Calico182

Expert Member
Last edited:

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Here's a suggestion:

The little app is very cool, but it only shows that we are in Brown stage. Looking at the poweralert website, it tells us we are Stage 1B ... Is it possible to reflect that in the app, as without it the shedding schedule for your location is not very useful

EDIT: Just downloaded 1.0.6 ... now it reflects Brown Stage 1 ... moving in the right direction. From my assumptions, the list for Sunninghill has two Stage 1 entries, two Stage 2 entries and 7 Stage 3 entries, which means for instance Stage 1A and Stage 1B for the two Stage 1 entries. IS this correct?

Last edited: