Free Windows desktop application launched to monitor power cuts

Calico182

Expert Member
Here's a suggestion:

The little app is very cool, but it only shows that we are in Brown stage. Looking at the poweralert website, it tells us we are Stage 1B ... Is it possible to reflect that in the app, as without it the shedding schedule for your location is not very useful
hey landyman - have you been running the app for a bit - like overnight? reason i ask is there was an issue with the load stage retrieval this morning - eskom just said there was loadshedding and didn't indicate what stage it was at (the wesbite had indicated it previously - the website still has no indication - even the RSS feed says "No Stage" - think i'm gonna have to consider using poweralert's feed for the stage number too - back when we originally wrote the app and there was loadshedding - it was the other way round - Eskom showed the stage number and poweralert only gave the colour - ironically things have swopped around...) - and so on the server side it set the stage to Brown (no stage number), i've corrected it since to make sure it gets the stage number correctly. just restart the app (or click the Check for updates link at the bottom or the app to check for updates and restart automatically) and let me know if it is indicating the stage number correctly. just fyi - at time of writing this, the latest version of the app is 1.0.6

Last edited:

LandyMan

Honorary Master
hey landyman - have you been running the app for a bit - like overnight? reason i ask is there was an issue with the load stage retrieval this morning - eskom just said there was loadshedding and didn't indicate what stage it was at (the wesbite had indicated it previously) - and so on the server side it set the stage to Brown (no stage number), i've corrected it since to make sure it gets the stage number correctly. just restart the app (or click the Check for updates link at the bottom or the app to check for updates and restart automatically) and let me know if it is indicating the stage number correctly. just fyi - at time of writing this, the latest version of the app is 1.0.6
Check my edited post :D

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
How accurate is this program? For instance it says my area in brown stage 1 will be shed at 2pm... guess I have 18 minutes to learn...

Calico182

Expert Member
Here's a suggestion:

The little app is very cool, but it only shows that we are in Brown stage. Looking at the poweralert website, it tells us we are Stage 1B ... Is it possible to reflect that in the app, as without it the shedding schedule for your location is not very useful

EDIT: Just downloaded 1.0.6 ... now it reflects Brown Stage 1 ... moving in the right direction. From my assumptions, the list for Sunninghill has two Stage 1 entries, two Stage 2 entries and 7 Stage 3 entries, which means for instance Stage 1A and Stage 1B for the two Stage 1 entries. IS this correct?
i don't know if it is safe to assume that as the schedules indicate no link between stage 1a and 1b and the schedule entries on the Eskom website - they are merely listed as Brown Stage 1, Brown Stage 2 etc. Looking again now, I actually cannot find a single place that refers to 'At Brown Stage 1A, the following place is loadshed' - the schedules all seem to be based on Stage 1, Stage 2 and Stage 3 etc

Calico182

Expert Member
How accurate is this program? For instance it says my area in brown stage 1 will be shed at 2pm... guess I have 18 minutes to learn...
it's as accurate as the Eskom loadshedding schedule (or if your schedule is provided by the municipality). the difference is we are also encouraging users to report unscheduled outages so that in an upcoming release, we will be able to allow users to 'Follow user reported outage', which would make use of that data.

LandyMan

Honorary Master
i don't know if it is safe to assume that as the schedules indicate no link between stage 1a and 1b and the schedule entries on the Eskom website - they are merely listed as Brown Stage 1, Brown Stage 2 etc. Looking again now, I actually cannot find a single place that refers to 'At Brown Stage 1A, the following place is loadshed' - the schedules all seem to be based on Stage 1, Stage 2 and Stage 3 etc
I am looking at the PowerAlert website. Homepage indicates Current Level: Stage 1B.

From what I can understand, the A/B entries refer to the time of day, as that will coincide with the listed entries in the schedule on myenergy app, but I can be wrong

Calico182

Expert Member
I am looking at the PowerAlert website. Homepage indicates Current Level: Stage 1B.

From what I can understand, the A/B entries refer to the time of day, as that will coincide with the listed entries in the schedule on myenergy app, but I can be wrong
yea, saw that.

don't think it is time related, as the 1B schedule for Port Elizabeth runs for 24 hours...

Paulr

I guess I'll still see how accurate the schedules that you run it off is...

But I like the app - it's a nice fast way to see what the current status is. Thanks for it so far.

BTW - how often does it check the status and how much data does it use (Rememer, this is SA, we are short on electricity AND bandwidth!! ) :p

Calico182

Expert Member
I guess I'll still see how accurate the schedules that you run it off is...

But I like the app - it's a nice fast way to see what the current status is. Thanks for it so far.

BTW - how often does it check the status and how much data does it use (Rememer, this is SA, we are short on electricity AND bandwidth!! ) :p
hey Paulr, thanks for the message.

well, i can gladly (??!!!) say that the power went off today when it was scheduled to (well, about 10 minutes later), but I got the notification before hand warning me about the outage at 4pm (NMMM schedule). guess it can only be so accurate - but with next month's introduction of planned outages - things might be more accurate.

as for the bandwidth, guess the proof is in the numbers. it doesn't use much at all - it checks the power status every 10 minutes or so, and the schedules it checks also every 10 (but it does a simple "do i need to download an updated schedule, or just carry on using this previously downloaded schedule" test - so not much data is used at all). it obviously depends how many locations you are monitoring at once, but not much of a difference. here's a screenshot of netlimiter's logs of MyEnergy running throughout the day on a machine here monitoring one location:

http://www.myenergy.co.za/images/screenshots/stats.png

arni1954

I don't understand Eskom's site is showing Brown in the application it is Green

Calico182

Expert Member
I don't understand Eskom's site is showing Brown in the application it is Green
most probably just a delay in the changeover - the app checks every 10 minutes or so, so the changeover might only have happened - you can always click the manual refresh button next to the power status indicator.

but all is brown now....

arni1954

most probably just a delay in the changeover - the app checks every 10 minutes or so, so the changeover might only have happened - you can always click the manual refresh button next to the power status indicator.

but all is brown now....
Thanks.
It looks like it is not refreshing automatically . Is it possible that the firewall is in the way ? Also the times at you site and Eskom are different ( Brown Stage1 your site 18:00-20:30 , Eskom 10:00-14:00) . I am in Glenhazel

Calico182

Expert Member
Thanks.
It looks like it is not refreshing automatically . Is it possible that the firewall is in the way ? Also the times at you site and Eskom are different ( Brown Stage1 your site 18:00-20:30 , Eskom 10:00-14:00) . I am in Glenhazel
shouldn't be blocking it if you can already get other data. also Glenhazel on my side is like Eskom's (10:00-14:00)

but will check it out

LandyMan

Honorary Master
hey Paulr, thanks for the message.

well, i can gladly (??!!!) say that the power went off today when it was scheduled to (well, about 10 minutes later), but I got the notification before hand warning me about the outage at 4pm (NMMM schedule). guess it can only be so accurate - but with next month's introduction of planned outages - things might be more accurate.

as for the bandwidth, guess the proof is in the numbers. it doesn't use much at all - it checks the power status every 10 minutes or so, and the schedules it checks also every 10 (but it does a simple "do i need to download an updated schedule, or just carry on using this previously downloaded schedule" test - so not much data is used at all). it obviously depends how many locations you are monitoring at once, but not much of a difference. here's a screenshot of netlimiter's logs of MyEnergy running throughout the day on a machine here monitoring one location:

http://www.myenergy.co.za/images/screenshots/stats.png
I am not getting any notifications ... we are scheduled for outage at 10am, as in 2 minutes ago, but myenergy didn't notify me ..

Calico182

Expert Member
I am not getting any notifications ... we are scheduled for outage at 10am, as in 2 minutes ago, but myenergy didn't notify me ..
and you haven't turned off notifications (right clicked tray icon > Checked Ignore All Events)?

LandyMan

Honorary Master
and you haven't turned off notifications (right clicked tray icon > Checked Ignore All Events)?
Nope, it is not checked ... and I ran the notification test in the settings, that worked. I also get the notification when there is a change in stage status, but I don't get the actual 5 minute before shedding notification

Calico182

Expert Member
Nope, it is not checked ... and I ran the notification test in the settings, that worked. I also get the notification when there is a change in stage status, but I don't get the actual 5 minute before shedding notification
which location? also, that location is checked to receive a notification (stupid question, but good to know :p )

just to test: if you restart the app (right click tray icon > Exit) and start it up again, do you receive the notification then?