Free Windows desktop application launched to monitor power cuts

LandyMan

Honorary Master
which location? also, that location is checked to receive a notification (stupid question, but good to know :p )

just to test: if you restart the app (right click tray icon > Exit) and start it up again, do you receive the notification then?
Yes, it is set for notification.
When I restart, I get the stage status change notification, but no time notification. Yesterday when I added a different location (2.5 hours after shedding was supposed to happen) I got a time notification for that new location

EDIT: restarted for a second time and a third time, and got the time notifications now (for 18 minutes ago) :)

EDIT 2: Another question ... is it supposed to get a new update for the status of the grid every 10 minutes, or will it physically only update the app if there is a change in status?

Last edited:

Calico182

Expert Member
When I restart, I get the stage status change notification, but no time notification. Yesterday when I added a different location (2.5 hours after shedding was supposed to happen) I got a time notification for that new location
hmm weird

yea, when you start the app up (or add a new location) and it detects that one of your locations is in the middle of loadshedding, then it will let you know too.

it's weird that it worked for that location, but not this one. what location is this?

CathJ

Expert Member
Hi Calico,

Looks like a great app (pity we have to rely on eskom schedules, but you've done the most you could!).

One thing I find a bit odd, is that I can find Plumstead, but not Wynberg. It's possible that they're lumped into the same area, but I seem to remember seeing Wynberg on Eskom's schedule a while ago.

LandyMan

Honorary Master
hmm weird

yea, when you start the app up (or add a new location) and it detects that one of your locations is in the middle of loadshedding, then it will let you know too.

it's weird that it worked for that location, but not this one. what location is this?
Sunninghill

Calico182

Expert Member

EDIT: restarted for a second time and a third time, and got the time notifications now (for 18 minutes ago) :)

EDIT 2: Another question ... is it supposed to get a new update for the status of the grid every 10 minutes, or will it physically only update the app if there is a change in status?
very strange - but bugs are good - as eliminating them means a more stable app. so will look into it.

it will only update and notify you about the status if there is an actual change in the status.

Calico182

Expert Member
Hi Calico,

Looks like a great app (pity we have to rely on eskom schedules, but you've done the most you could!).

One thing I find a bit odd, is that I can find Plumstead, but not Wynberg. It's possible that they're lumped into the same area, but I seem to remember seeing Wynberg on Eskom's schedule a while ago.

i had a look now and can find Wynberg under the Central region

CathJ

Expert Member

i had a look now and can find Wynberg under the Central region
Hmm, maybe a different wynberg? There's one in Jhb as well as in Cape Town... but I'll check the regions again, just to make sure.

Edit: yes, the one you found in the Central region is definitely not the one I'm looking for - it would have to be in the Western region.

Last edited:

Albereth

Honorary Master
Mine a whole lot more simple and you don't need connectivity to thr internet.

Place your computer on a table top and turn it on.

If at any time the screen goes blank and there are no lights on, then you are without power.

Calico182

Expert Member
Mine a whole lot more simple and you don't need connectivity to thr internet.

Place your computer on a table top and turn it on.

If at any time the screen goes blank and there are no lights on, then you are without power.
oh, our app has that feature too - don't worry :)

Kalvaer

Expert Member
Just downloaded it at home and will see if my power goes off in 10 min as expected.

One thing I'd like to ask. When you have the "MyEnergy Monitor" open (and even now that its sitting beind my broswer as I type this) and the advert switches in the bottom banner, There is this annoying "clicking" sound. Is there anyway to turn that off?

I have tried turning of the alert sounds, but still does it and I guess those arn't related

Calico182

Expert Member
Just downloaded it at home and will see if my power goes off in 10 min as expected.

One thing I'd like to ask. When you have the "MyEnergy Monitor" open (and even now that its sitting beind my broswer as I type this) and the advert switches in the bottom banner, There is this annoying "clicking" sound. Is there anyway to turn that off?

I have tried turning of the alert sounds, but still does it and I guess those arn't related
the clicking sound is the noise that Internet Explorer makes when navigating. the ads are in a mini IE control. When the app is minimised to the tray (clicking the X) - then ad loading will be stopped, and so will the clicking.

to turn off the Windows navigation click, you can do that by :

To remove the sound, start with your Control Panel.

* On Windows 95/98/2000, doubleclick on the “Sounds and Multimedia” icon and choose the “Sounds” tab.
* On Windows XP, doubleclick the “Sounds and Audio Devices” icon and choose the “Sounds” tab.
* On Windows NT, just doubleclick the “Sounds” icon.

From here, the instructions are the same for each of the above operating systems. Scroll down in the “Sound Events” window until you reach the “Windows Explorer” section. In this section there is a “Start Navigation” option to assign sounds to. In the “Name” Drop down menu select “None” and then hit “OK”.

Kalvaer

Expert Member
That would turn off all the sounds though... Hmm still a great app though.

Forwarding the details on to everyone I know who usually suffers from the shedding.

Calico182

Expert Member
MyEnergy v1.0.7

NB: Please make sure you are running the latest stable release of MyEnergy Monitor (1.0.7). This release fixes some important issues reported by users.

To ensure the most accurate notifications, and most stable monitoring, grab the latest updates now!

You can either restart the application (right click the tray icon > Exit) , or click the “Check for updates” link at the bottom of the monitor. Updates will be downloaded and applied automatically!

Enjoy! And keep that feedback coming - we really appreciate it! If you still haven’t installed MyEnergy, what are you waiting for?

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Something is not lekker. It doesn't update the status when I click the refresh button, only updates the ads at the bottom, and according to the status update timestamp, it was updated on 02/04/2008 at 22:20 nogal, and is now in stage Orange :confused:

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Something is not lekker. It doesn't update the status when I click the refresh button, only updates the ads at the bottom, and according to the status update timestamp, it was updated on 02/04/2008 at 22:20 nogal, and is now in stage Orange :confused:
Lol. Maybe it was a bad April fools joke?