Free Windows desktop application launched to monitor power cuts

Calico182

Expert Member
Lol. Maybe it was a bad April fools joke?
yea, let's go with that answer :)

it's a very confusing situation at the moment. we're busy working on the backend to support the new preemptive schedules which we were under the impression would be the norm country wide. but this isn't the case as some of the municipalities who supply their own schedules are still using the old format (like on monday, tuesday, wednesday at XYZ time the power will go off). now this doesn't tie in with eskoms new format of 'on 1 april at 14:00 the power will be cut, no matter what the status is). not to mention the fact that they still have a status in place which means those old schedules are still in place. this means we now need to support both methods of alerting users. we're almost done, and should be able to put a new release out soon.

as for the weird status changes. we get the current status from www.poweralert.co.za - and at about 14:50 yesterday they stopped updating their status as they found discrepancies between what eskom was reporting and what their sources told them (eskom said it was green status, but it was loadshedding - and by definition of the colours - brown means loadshedding was in progress - so all very confusing). in any case i manually updated the status to ORANGE this morning to match up with Eskom's status. i accidentally added it with the correct AM/PM - hence the weirdness in the client. if you restart the app (or the status changes again), it will correct itself. my bad :)

hopefully by next week all will be in place and we will have all the information to get things running smoothly again. we provide a free service, and not being affiliated with Eskom (we can't even get them to reply to our queries), means we learn about format/process changes along with the rest of the public.

but thanks again for supporting us. i'll post here again soon when we get the new version out that supports preemptive schedules.

cheers

Calico182

Expert Member
MyEnergy Monitor 2.0.0 is out - get it now!

We have just launched MyEnergy Monitor 2.0.0. There are loads of new features, with a ton of changes going on in the backend. Let's just give you a rundown of some of the highlights:

• Pre-emptive scheduling - The introduction of the new pre-emptive schedules from Eskom is the major update in this release. Because of the changes to the Eskom schedules, we needed to create a new structure for our schedule data that is now date-based, as opposed to day-based. The new schedules include Eskom supply areas as well as municipal supply areas. The new pre-emptive scheduling also means that load-shedding based on a stage (brown stage 1-3) falls away, and is instead based on whether pre-emptive scheduling is taking place. You will notice that schedule items now have a stage black - this indicates a pre-emptive load shedding schedule line. We currently have the schedules for the Eskom supplied areas, Johannesburg (City Power), Cape Town Metro, Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality and eThekwini (Durban). Because of this new structure we have in place, it should be easier to load new metros into the system. We are in the process of loading other metros, and will let you know when each one is loaded, so keep checking back here.
  • New hibernate option - Now you can choose to hibernate your computer instead of automatically shutting it down when an outage is detected. This will allow you to quickly get back to what you were doing before the outage.
  • Overhauled interface - We sorted out some usability issues, and added features to make the interface more intuitive. These include being able to right click on the schedule day selector (below your location’s schedule) and jump to a specific date. Left clicking the day selector takes you back to today’s schedule. You will also notice that the power status indicator now indicates whether pre-emptive load shedding is in progress.
  • Improved location search - Because of the structure change of locations provided by Eskom, suburbs are now found within a more logical Province > Metro > Suburb structure - as opposed to the more confusing regions used by Eskom originally. Metro controlled areas (i.e. municipalities that control their own schedule, such as NMMM and eThekwini) are easily identified as they have an orange background. Note: We have further updated the location searcher since releasing version 2.0.0 to include the ability to select a province and immediately start searching for a suburb without having to specify your metro. This will be made available as an update either over the weekend, or early next week.
  • Email schedules - You can now send schedules to a friend (or even to yourself) that show the load shedding schedule for the next 7 days for a given location. Send it to your friends who aren’t able to use MyEnergy for whatever reason. View an example of the schedule here.
  • Special notifications - We’ve included a notification system that will allow us to easily communicate any issues, updates or concerns regarding the MyEnergy Monitor and its schedules directly to you.
So, either click the ‘Check for updates’ link at the bottom of the monitor, or restart the application by right clicking the system tray icon and clicking Exit. Start it up again and let the monitor check for and download any updates. If you don’t yet have the MyEnergy Monitor, download it now!

Let us know of any new issues that may have snuck into the new release. Also remember we are open to feature suggestions (the hibernate feature was requested a week or two ago), and if feasible will look into implementing it.

Enjoy!

Calico182

Expert Member
MyEnergy v2.0.1

We have just released MyEnergy v2.0.1.

This version includes the following updates :

• Improved location search (search quickly by province and suburb if you aren't sure what metropolitan your suburb falls under)
  • New outage action (you can now select a file, such as a script or batch file, to run before an outage is expected),
  • Fixes bugs reported since the last version, including the bug affecting 64-bit operating systems.

If you have any problems with the updater, head to http://www.myenergy.co.za/download/ to download the latest installer.

Last edited:

mercurial

MyBB Legend
I have a suggestion. It's quite annoying when the app starts up, that it runs the update. The problem is that I'm mostly on local bandwidth and the downloading takes forever for some odd reason. Instead of running the update when the app opens, why not just let the app start up normally and then have a "Check for Updates" button in the app itself, or even have a status bar that flashes a message that updates are available? In this way, the app can still open and work normally, cos at the moment I'm cancelling the update when the app opens and for some reason, the program just crashes when I do this. Other than that, the app is looking good. Thanks.

Calico182

Expert Member
I have a suggestion. It's quite annoying when the app starts up, that it runs the update. The problem is that I'm mostly on local bandwidth and the downloading takes forever for some odd reason. Instead of running the update when the app opens, why not just let the app start up normally and then have a "Check for Updates" button in the app itself, or even have a status bar that flashes a message that updates are available? In this way, the app can still open and work normally, cos at the moment I'm cancelling the update when the app opens and for some reason, the program just crashes when I do this. Other than that, the app is looking good. Thanks.
only version 1.0.8 to 2.0.0 was a mandatory update (clicking no to the update prompt just wouldn't launch the app), as it was a complete rework of the backend to accomodate the new style of outages (pre-emptive vs stage based). update 2.0.1 wasn't a mandatory update - so clicking no will just let the app start up as normal. we do have a check for updates link on the app itself, and version 2.0.0 introduced notifications that allow us to communicate application updates to the user. so we may look at doing away with the update check on startup. however leaving the update checking and actual updating up to the user may work on more larger, stagnant application suites, we need to constantly keep up with other people changing their minds about how things things should work, and not leave users with an app that becomes inaccurate. as it stands now, we will only be releasing updates on a Wednesday.

just out of interest - with a local only account, does the app actually work with the application being hosted in the US?

mercurial

MyBB Legend
only version 1.0.8 to 2.0.0 was a mandatory update (clicking no to the update prompt just wouldn't launch the app), as it was a complete rework of the backend to accomodate the new style of outages (pre-emptive vs stage based). update 2.0.1 wasn't a mandatory update - so clicking no will just let the app start up as normal. we do have a check for updates link on the app itself, and version 2.0.0 introduced notifications that allow us to communicate application updates to the user. so we may look at doing away with the update check on startup. however leaving the update checking and actual updating up to the user may work on more larger, stagnant application suites, we need to constantly keep up with other people changing their minds about how things things should work, and not leave users with an app that becomes inaccurate. as it stands now, we will only be releasing updates on a Wednesday.

just out of interest - with a local only account, does the app actually work with the application being hosted in the US?
Thanks. I had a feeling it was not hosted locally. It hangs trying to update. When I close the update it brings up another dialog box saying "Download in progress". I noticed that it only updates when I'm connected internationally. I will check out the updates when I get home to see if it's doing what you said. Thanks for the update.

Calico182

Expert Member
MyEnergy Monitor v2.3.0 now monitors fuel price changes

With fuel prices changing every month, it can be easy to lose track of time and forget to fill up your tank before the price goes up. Users can now setup notifications in MyEnergy Monitor to receive regular reminders days before the new fuel prices come into effect.

If the cost of fuel is an important factor in your business, or you just want to make sure you’re on top of the latest changes, download the latest version now! Click the ‘Check for application updates’ link on the application, or restart the monitor. If you don't have application yet, download it here.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
awesome - that way its like a lottery for you - every time the price changes - you can go 'sweet! i just won R20!'
ROFL ;) :D :p I think that's the way to look at it yes. Man you're an optimist, makes me shy :eek: :p

mercurial

MyBB Legend
This thing still opens up the updater when I open up the program. You said the latest version doesn't. This is also hosted internationally and because I often use my local account, this app freezes upon starting cos it can't connect to the net. I would be better if it were hosted locally, since it's only a tiny program and site. The other thing that I noticed is that if you download the app itself, it downloads quickly, but the update takes ages.

Calico182

Expert Member
This thing still opens up the updater when I open up the program. You said the latest version doesn't. This is also hosted internationally and because I often use my local account, this app freezes upon starting cos it can't connect to the net. I would be better if it were hosted locally, since it's only a tiny program and site. The other thing that I noticed is that if you download the app itself, it downloads quickly, but the update takes ages.
if you open up the program from the desktop or from the start menu, then the updater is shown - if the monitor is run on windows startup, the updater won't be shown unless there is an update. the update released last week wasn't mandatory, however the one release the other day was as it contained an important bug fix. hence the need for the update.

as for the hosting - it may be a tiny app and website, but we have a huge amount of data and a few thousand users, which adds up to a few gigs per month as it is. and as it is just a free service, we don't have the resources to afford local hosting. hopefully that can change in the future.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
if you open up the program from the desktop or from the start menu, then the updater is shown - if the monitor is run on windows startup, the updater won't be shown unless there is an update. the update released last week wasn't mandatory, however the one release the other day was as it contained an important bug fix. hence the need for the update.

as for the hosting - it may be a tiny app and website, but we have a huge amount of data and a few thousand users, which adds up to a few gigs per month as it is. and as it is just a free service, we don't have the resources to afford local hosting. hopefully that can change in the future.
Can't you guys change it so that it doesn't look for updates upon opening from desktop? It's annoying. As I've said before, rather have a statusbar or something to that effect in the app itself, giving notice and/or option of updating, instead of trying to do it for us, cos if we use local bandwidth, the app freezes. I can understand the local hosting thing.