Frequent Disconnections - FrogFoot Port Elizabeth

louisvd

I know there is a thread about poor performance on FrogFoot, but the last few weeks I have been experiencing many "sessions" of disconnections. I may be stable for up to three days, and then the link will drop for 20 minutes, come back for 15 minutes, drop again for 3 minutes, and so on.

I've logged the ticket with my ISP, Mind the Speed (who I must admit I've truly enjoyed having as an ISP - I highly recommend them), and they have informed me that this problem is common across their Port Elizabeth customers. Sadly (yet understandably), they are opting not to sell any new services on FrogFoot's network in Port Elizabeth until FrogFoot FIX their network. Large areas only have FrogFoot as an option, so this is truly a pity.

@Frogfoot Fibre could you please highlight these concerns to your people? I'm sure FrogFoot would like to clear the mud from their name. It's of benefit to you and to me to get this fixed.

Frogfoot Fibre

Frogfoot Fibre Rep
Company Rep
I know there is a thread about poor performance on FrogFoot, but the last few weeks I have been experiencing many "sessions" of disconnections. I may be stable for up to three days, and then the link will drop for 20 minutes, come back for 15 minutes, drop again for 3 minutes, and so on.

I've logged the ticket with my ISP, Mind the Speed (who I must admit I've truly enjoyed having as an ISP - I highly recommend them), and they have informed me that this problem is common across their Port Elizabeth customers. Sadly (yet understandably), they are opting not to sell any new services on FrogFoot's network in Port Elizabeth until FrogFoot FIX their network. Large areas only have FrogFoot as an option, so this is truly a pity.

@Frogfoot Fibre could you please highlight these concerns to your people? I'm sure FrogFoot would like to clear the mud from their name. It's of benefit to you and to me to get this fixed.

Hi there, thank you for your message. We are sorry to hear that you have been experiencing issues with your fibre. We would like to assure you that we are dedicated to ensuring that you can enjoy a stable fibre connection and our technical teams are hard at work improving your experience. Our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences caused during this time. You can check for outages on our network status page. https://www.frogfootfibre.com/frogfoot/myaccount/home/networkstatus/status.jsp

thehuman

Expert Member
Hi there, thank you for your message. We are sorry to hear that you have been experiencing issues with your fibre. We would like to assure you that we are dedicated to ensuring that you can enjoy a stable fibre connection and our technical teams are hard at work improving your experience. Our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences caused during this time. You can check for outages on our network status page. https://www.frogfootfibre.com/frogfoot/myaccount/home/networkstatus/status.jsp
Maybe after each outage, give a detailed report why it happened and how you will prevent that fault from happening in future.

You have two routes in port Elizabeth
I suggest you add a manual of automatic fail over if one of the routes go down.

ZA_Chamber

Expert Member
Nope, we have had MORE disconnects in the past couple of weeks than when we used Telkom for years. I had issues on about 8 occasions with Telkom. It has been every single day with Frogfoot, and it isn't Vox! Or Axxess etc.

Conack

Expert Member
Frogfoot George exactly the same.

Numerous complete outages the last few days - up to 3 a day (maybe more) just counting the ones where I was working and suddenly sat with no internet for a while.

No SMS is sent for these outages, so you don't know if it's your network/router that's the problem. Looks like technicians are doing cut-overs and changes at random without any backup routes.
Luckily our neighbourhood groups mention when there's an outage - so we can figure out among ourselves that it's another Frogfoot issue.

As soon as a new Internet provider comes into the area I'm pretty sure Frogfoot will be losing a lot of clients - will be campaigning for Openserve to light up the area as people are very, very unhappy after the first year has passed since Frogfoot installed Fibre here.

I'm aware of 3 folks cancelling their FFibre this week alone to move to a more reliable internet solution. (It's a very sad state of affairs when LTE > Fibre.)

louisvd

I've started to send my logs to a syslog server. These are the drops in the last week:
Oct 20 03:20:12 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 9075.7 minutes.
Oct 21 11:52:56 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 1952.3 minutes.
Oct 21 11:58:29 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 4.9 minutes.
Oct 21 14:18:09 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 139.1 minutes.
Oct 22 06:39:58 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 44.8 minutes.
Oct 22 18:25:30 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 701.8 minutes.
Oct 23 01:53:13 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 444.3 minutes.
Oct 23 05:16:45 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 202.9 minutes.
Oct 23 05:52:27 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 4.5 minutes.
Oct 23 06:09:39 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 16.6 minutes.
Oct 23 23:41:32 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 1031.0 minutes.
Oct 24 11:25:06 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 665.7 minutes.
Oct 26 04:12:09 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 2446.7 minutes.
Oct 26 04:33:50 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 21.2 minutes.
Oct 26 04:49:26 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 15.1 minutes.
Oct 26 05:48:26 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 20.9 minutes.
Oct 26 06:03:25 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 10.4 minutes.
Oct 26 06:34:29 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 30.4 minutes.
Oct 26 06:41:41 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 6.5 minutes.

Retro1337

Well I attempted to email Frogfoot's Chief of Operations and Head of Operations (5 days ago) to link our mybroadband thread and for them to explain what they doing to fix the issues, still haven't received a response - shows how much they care :)

mercenary

I am seeing the same issues with disconnections, also frogofoot with mindthespeed, the pppoe connection dies and comes back between 30 seconds and 5 minutes. I use my own modem, could it be that we not using their supplied modems?

louisvd

I am seeing the same issues with disconnections, also frogofoot with mindthespeed, the pppoe connection dies and comes back between 30 seconds and 5 minutes. I use my own modem, could it be that we not using their supplied modems?
I'm actually using their modem but managing it myself. (I removed all the TR69 stuff and certificates etc before connecting it the first time.) But there is no way using your own modem will cause this unless it's faulty - but you would know if it was that, I think.

My disconnections have been fewer - better but not great - since 26 October:
Oct 28 01:15:36 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 2551.5 minutes.
Oct 29 09:53:11 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 1955.0 minutes.
Nov 3 18:26:02 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 7713.4 minutes.

skusku

Pity that Frogfoot is having al these issues as they are cheaper. I wanted to go with them a long time ago already but Ive read so many fault reports that I am sticking with Openserve. Maybe in another year I will have a look again how their stability is doing and switch over.