Freshphone - Analogue Phone on Huawei B315-s router

shahedgh

Hello all,

Will appreciate your guidance kindly

I've registered for a Freshphone account which i am using with by B315-s router, I've connected an analogue phone to the router, i can make outgoing calls but can't hear a ringtone on my analogue phone when trying to call, strangely at other times i can hear a ringtone.

Has someone experienced a similar situation ? How can i overcome this ?

Thank you, will appreciate assistance.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Hello all,

I've registered for a Freshphone account which i am using with by B315-s router, I've connected an analogue phone to the router, i can make outgoing calls but can't hear a ringtone on my analogue phone when trying to call, strangely at other times i can hear a ringtone.

I think that might be related to freshphone not sure. I use Websquad Cloud Voice on my B315 with a Telkom simcard in on unrestricted APN and it works pretty well.

playa4life

Instead of starting another thread, I am hoping that OP doesnt mind me hopping onto this one.

Please make suggestions for me.
Scenario:
Fiber will be going live in my neighbourhood at month end.
I currently have a landline and ADSL with Telkom.
The only reason I am paying for the landline is because you cant have ADSL without the landline.
As soon as fiber is live, I will be ending my relationship with Telkom but would still like to retain my landline number to use in a VOIP solution.

What are my options?
I'd like this transition to be as smooth as possible.
I dont mind sitting without the 021 number while the port (or whatever process) is ongoing - I am going to imagine, maybe a two week process?
I would like to retain the 021 number.
The most cost effective VOIP solution here please.
I do not want to pay Telkom for the use of the Telkom line - which btw - has been problematic ever since they installed the landline but they never bothered fixing it as "fiber is coming soon"... and 5 years later - Fiber is finally here.

PS: If I should start my own thread - please let me know.

TIA

georgegolding

Euphoria Telecom
Company Rep
Hello all,

Check if you have an unrestricted APN if not it can be blocking certain incoming ports causing your problem.

Instead of starting another thread, I am hoping that OP doesnt mind me hopping onto this one.

Please make suggestions for me.
Scenario:
Fiber will be going live in my neighbourhood at month end.
I currently have a landline and ADSL with Telkom.
The only reason I am paying for the landline is because you cant have ADSL without the landline.
As soon as fiber is live, I will be ending my relationship with Telkom but would still like to retain my landline number to use in a VOIP solution.

What are my options?
I'd like this transition to be as smooth as possible.
I dont mind sitting without the 021 number while the port (or whatever process) is ongoing - I am going to imagine, maybe a two week process?
I would like to retain the 021 number.
The most cost effective VOIP solution here please.
I do not want to pay Telkom for the use of the Telkom line - which btw - has been problematic ever since they installed the landline but they never bothered fixing it as "fiber is coming soon"... and 5 years later - Fiber is finally here.

PS: If I should start my own thread - please let me know.

TIA
Freshphone will be your best option. I use it on a daily basis and have only found a problem with one specific number I had to dial. I think however that the recipient number was maybe the issue. They are cheap 39 cents per minute to landlines and 79 cents per minute to mobile numbers. You can deal with them online at www.freshphone.co.za and they give you R5.00 to test their service when you join.

playa4life

Freshphone will be your best option. I use it on a daily basis and have only found a problem with one specific number I had to dial. I think however that the recipient number was maybe the issue. They are cheap 39 cents per minute to landlines and 79 cents per minute to mobile numbers. You can deal with them online at www.freshphone.co.za and they give you R5.00 to test their service when you join.
Thanx man
How do you use their service?
Do you use a dedicated VOIP Phone or are you using the app?

Thanx man
How do you use their service?
Do you use a dedicated VOIP Phone or are you using the app?
I did start with the Zopier Android app but found it unreliable. As luck would have it Freshphone then brought out their own app and it worked well but on a number of occasions I was busy with a Voip call and then my normal GSM number received a call which just switched me over to GSM leaving the other party on the Voip call thinking that I have hang up on them. At the moment I am using a Yealink dedicated Voip phone and I have never looked back. The phone is plugged into my router via network cable and believe it or not I use the R250 p/m Rain service without any issues. If you have any further questions with which I can help let me know.

playa4life

I did start with the Zopier Android app but found it unreliable. As luck would have it Freshphone then brought out their own app and it worked well but on a number of occasions I was busy with a Voip call and then my normal GSM number received a call which just switched me over to GSM leaving the other party on the Voip call thinking that I have hang up on them. At the moment I am using a Yealink dedicated Voip phone and I have never looked back. The phone is plugged into my router via network cable and believe it or not I use the R250 p/m Rain service without any issues. If you have any further questions with which I can help let me know.
Than you for your feedback.
I have now, since first posting in this thread, cancelled my Telkom services as well as my ADSL ISP services. My fiber went live last week so there really is no need to keep those services any longer.
I will get in touch with FreshPhone and request that they port my 021 number onto their network and then I'll make use of the app - until I am able to get a voip handset. Purchasing one at the moment would be very unnecessary since I have access to VOIP handsets at work - which I am not able to get to during lockdown :laugh:
Hopefully the app can serve my needs in the interim...

Than you for your feedback.
I have now, since first posting in this thread, cancelled my Telkom services as well as my ADSL ISP services. My fiber went live last week so there really is no need to keep those services any longer.
I will get in touch with FreshPhone and request that they port my 021 number onto their network and then I'll make use of the app - until I am able to get a voip handset. Purchasing one at the moment would be very unnecessary since I have access to VOIP handsets at work - which I am not able to get to during lockdown :laugh:
Hopefully the app can serve my needs in the interim...
Do you have the Huawei B315-936? If so you can try and set up the Voip service on it directly and plug in an old normal telephone. I've manged to get it working in the past but it is touch and go. There is instructions on the Freshphone help forum but as I said it's touch and go. Good luck and hope you are happy with the service.

playa4life

Do you have the Huawei B315-936? If so you can try and set up the Voip service on it directly and plug in an old normal telephone. I've manged to get it working in the past but it is touch and go. There is instructions on the Freshphone help forum but as I said it's touch and go. Good luck and hope you are happy with the service.
Unfortunately I didnt get the Huawei B315-936. RSA-Web dropped off a TP-Link EC120-F5 (link to router)
I managed to score an OpenScape DeskPhone - CP205 (link to VOIP Phone) but his router doesnt have POE. I am now frantically trying to find a solution to get this VOIP phone to turn on. The POE Injector that I had lying around at home doesnt want to power this phone on and trying to find a suitable power supply for this phone is proving to be harder than it actually needs to be.
Ideally, I woudn't want to add, yet another device - such as a 5 port Gigabit desktop POE switch - to to the equation as I feel that all the cables are going to become too much for me to deal with (I hate the site of cables).

I've loaded the FreshPhone app to my mobile phone in the meantime and did a test call to my FreshPhone 087 number and the mobile app does well in ringing when the number is called.
My Telkom port should be complete by the end of the week and I would like to get the VOIP phone up and running, on my 021 number - by that time. Seems like I'm running out of ideas and time here.
Any ideas? Anyone?