Friend or Acquaintance... I wonder

medicnick83

Paramedic
Okay, I'm 25... I like to think I've had alot of growing up to do since I was 18 many many 'centuries' ago.

One thing in my life that has always bothered me is my friendships.
I know that some people use and abuse their friends, simply because they got no other choice, I know a few people like this - lucky, they are not apart of my life anymore.

I think alot of people don't know what a friendship is, or how to keep a friendship going and thus friends wither and die and then those people are just acquaintances as it were.

Through my life, I have had so many friends but when I sit down and think about it, I have maybe... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... gosh, I'm actually to embarrased to really say how many REAL friends I have.

What is a friend?
Do you know how to define it?

I googled it and found this: Friendship is an in-depth relationship. Friends are comfortable and relaxed. Friendship requires meeting the needs of both friends. It is an in-depth relationship combining trust, support, communication, loyalty, understanding, empathy, and intimacy.

Reading that, I have a problem with that definition... gosh, I wish I could tell you guys why, I'd scare you with how my 'trust' has been broken in ways you couldn't imagine, and 'their' loyalty goes out the window when... well... matters not.

What do you guys think of this little thread of mine?

Keeper

Honorary Master
Reading that, I have a problem with that definition... gosh, I wish I could tell you guys why, I'd scare you with how my 'trust' has been broken in ways you couldn't imagine, and 'their' loyalty goes out the window when... well... matters not.
you should of replaced "Gosh" with "Oh Hamburgers!"

I still don't understand why you needed to google the word "friendship", to understand what it is.

blunomore

Honorary Master
Friendship is tricky ...

You do not want to feel abused, yet sometimes you have to make sacrifces for your friends.

On the flipside, you feel you need their support, and when you do not get it, you feel let down.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Yeah even though I'm 18, I was contemplating how many friends I could actually rely on/trust with my life.

I came out with 3 (I'm considering a 4th) people. Real friends are ones who stand up for you in a time of adversity, others are just generic.

I mean obviously I have people I have daily contact are friendly towards, but I wouldn't trust them with my life.

Pitbull

Verboten
Just get married, your wife will be your best friend and only friend you will ever need.

But seriously, you have issues like a girl mate, I never even think about the crap you come and post in this section of MyBB :p

Alan

Honorary Master
You'll only have a few true friends in your lifetime. Probably no more than 3 or 5 IMO

blunomore

Honorary Master
Just get married, your wife will be your best friend and only friend you will ever need.

But seriously, you have issues like a girl mate, I never even think about the crap you come and post in this section of MyBB :p

Be nice to him. Some people talk more about their feelings than others.

medicnick83

Paramedic
ok this is a serious question:

Are you gay ?
Now why in the world would you ask that?
Doesn't it bother you ever?

I mean, look, check my Facebook, I have close to 200 friends.
If I had to remove the people I don't talk to, might I as well close my account on Facebook! haha.

Okay, here:

When I have a girlfriend, I seem to have no problem spending time with my friends, they... OMG, I have to fight to see them and I just don't!

Friends need help or anything, I'm there like a bear, I need something, it's always a moerse drama, which brings me to the point, am I a friend or just someone that they know?

There is more... but gay... no!

Pitbull

Verboten
Now why in the world would you ask that?
Doesn't it bother you ever?

I mean, look, check my Facebook, I have close to 200 friends.
If I had to remove the people I don't talk to, might I as well close my account on Facebook! haha.

Okay, here:

When I have a girlfriend, I seem to have no problem spending time with my friends, they... OMG, I have to fight to see them and I just don't!

Friends need help or anything, I'm there like a bear, I need something, it's always a moerse drama, which brings me to the point, am I a friend or just someone that they know?

There is more... but gay... no!
That is the problem, you have 200 people that you know, they are not friends :rolleyes:

I know 1000's of people and I have fun being with about all of them. Close close friends are like brothers. And no you don't get female friends ;)

So if out of those 200 - 199 associates are female you have one associate that is the potential to be a friend. I think your version of a friend and mine is worlds appart :D

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
That is the problem, you have 200 people that you know, they are not friends :rolleyes:

I know 1000's of people and I have fun being with about all of them. Close close friends are like brothers. And no you don't get female friends ;)

So if out of those 200 - 199 associates are female you have one associate that is the potential to be a friend. I think your version of a friend and mine is worlds appart :D
Sure you do - I think you're getting mixed up with the idea that a heterosexual male cant have a purely platonic friendship with a female . . . which is true. :)

medicnick83

Paramedic
Friends come and go...
Oh yes... so true.
But then again, GF/BF's do too.

Haha... Welcome to my world ;)

You'll only have a few true friends in your lifetime. Probably no more than 3 or 5 IMO
+1 :) So true.

Be nice to him. Some people talk more about their feelings than others.
+1 :D That's me.
Sometimes I speak so openly with my GF that I think she looks at me and thinks "OMG... this guy is such a woman!" haha :D

you should of replaced "Gosh" with "Oh Hamburgers!"

I still don't understand why you needed to google the word "friendship", to understand what it is.
I didn't need to google it for that exact reason, I googled it to get a definition of it, I know what a friendship is Keeper.

Pitbull

Verboten
Sure you do - I think you're getting mixed up with the idea that a heterosexual male cant have a purely platonic friendship with a female . . . which is true. :)
Sure, my friend's wife will by default be my friend.

I mean a female being a friend to a male :confused: Sorry but I doubt that to be even remotely possible. The sexual urge between the 2 genders does not leave space for friendship

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Sure, my friends wife will by default be my friend.

I mean a female being a friend to a male :confused: Sorry but I doubt that to be even remotely possible. The sexual urge between the 2 genders does not leave space for friendship
Why not? You're friends with your wife right?

medicnick83

Paramedic
Sure, my friend's wife will by default be my friend.

I can be friends with a female/females and not have sexual urges... so it is possible.

Pitbull

Verboten
Why not? You're friends with your wife right?
Yes, cause we can meet our urges :D

But you know what i mean. a guy of 20 has a woman "friend" of 20 or what ever......

No way, unless your gay :eek:

I mean:

Friends have things in commen, Hunting, fishing, outdoors, motor cars, motorcycles and and and you get what I'm saying ?

Now how does Minky fit in the above ?

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I can be friends with a female/females and not have sexual urges... so it is possible.
No . . . its not.
Yes, cause we can meet our urges :D

But you know what i mean. a guy of 20 has a woman "friend" of 20 or what ever......

No way, unless your gay :eek:

I mean:

Friends have things in commen, Hunting, fishing, outdoors, motor cars, motorcycles and and and you get what I'm saying ?

Now how does Minky fit in the above ?
There's no rule that you cant sleep with female friends is there? :) Of course you'll want to eventually - blame beer.