Frogfoot and MetroFibre taking the fibre fight to Openserve and Vumatel

sl0m0_za

We need more fibre in small towns - we have to pay R900pm for an 8Mb/s connection via a wifi provider and there are at least 200 internet users in my town that has about 700 people. Our closest fibre runs pare about 10km from this town. No 4G/LTE available either, only very weak 3G occasionally.

OhYeah84

Expert Member
Frogfoot couldn't take on themselves if it was just them in the market. They're useless. They're rolling out more fibre network while we have regular patch maintenance Wednesdays or downtime in PLZ, and down the Garden Route.

MEG101

We need more fibre in small towns - we have to pay R900pm for an 8Mb/s connection via a wifi provider and there are at least 200 internet users in my town that has about 700 people. Our closest fibre runs pare about 10km from this town. No 4G/LTE available either, only very weak 3G occasionally.
Exactly the same in my area, no LTE or fiber, but less than 10km away, Frogfoot, Openserve and Octotel are live. I have Just DSL 10mbps (fastest available, and seldom reach 8mbps) in Hersham Great Brakriver WC). I will welcome any FNO (Vuma, Frogfoot, Octotel, Metrofiber etc) anyday and sign up in a heartbeat.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I wonder how many of these "homes connected" are still actively connected

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
Hmmm ... , looking at those figures, seems only 1 in 3 premises that fiber passes have taken up fiber connections.

I wonder what percentage of those premises, have more than a single fiber provider running past them?

OhYeah84

Expert Member
They still pass your home, you are just no longer connected to them.
It's like celebrating like you won an F1 race but you came last 4 laps down. Passing a home and connecting are 2 vastly different things.
If this is how they benchmark themselves, then they're winners for sure /s

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
It's like celebrating like you won an F1 race but you came last 4 laps down. Passing a home and connecting are 2 vastly different things.
If this is how they benchmark themselves, then they're winners for sure /s

That's why the article includes, column for Homes passed, and another for Connections.

OhYeah84

Expert Member
That's why the article includes, column for Homes passed, and another for Connections.
Maybe, but I suspect Frogfoot will celebrate passing more homes than they've actually connected. And, bearing their poor support and service being provided of late, if there are options you might find people simply don't take them up for any offers.
Hell, I am going to switch in the next 4-6 weeks and have to pay more for Vumatel, but it'll be worth it.

Joseph matane

So provinces such as North West and Northern Cape must continue to rely heavily on Herotel and sometimes Openserve for FTTH roll-out, I wish DFA, Vumatel, and Vodacom deal can get approved and Vumatel can acquire controlling shares at Herotel because Herotel is full of .......

system32

Executive Member
Will be interesting when StarLink becomes available.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Exactly the same in my area, no LTE or fiber, but less than 10km away, Frogfoot, Openserve and Octotel are live. I have Just DSL 10mbps (fastest available, and seldom reach 8mbps) in Hersham Great Brakriver WC). I will welcome any FNO (Vuma, Frogfoot, Octotel, Metrofiber etc) anyday and sign up in a heartbeat.
What happened to Route (fibre) Networks? I thought they had imminent plans https://routenetworks.africa/coverage