Frogfoot and Octotel increase fibre speeds and hike prices

I have to wait for a new router to arrive, as mine is now maxing out the 100Mbps ethernet WAN port of my Archer C20. At least it looks like I'm already upgraded to 150/150 as I'm getting high 90s now up/down instead of low-med 90s.
Had the same issue
I think lot users are going to be in the situation
Wonder how many of the isp customers are actually going to benefit from 150/150
Between slow wan ports and slow switches

ISPs need to update their Radius and Billing systems.

Sometimes a reboot of your router is also required to establish the connection at the new speed.
As far as I understand, Frogfoot sets the speed of the line, and not the ISP. Also not entirely sure if PPPoE details have got any limits set, I kinda suspect they don't as most ISP (Just guessing here) are using the throttling of the fibre from the FNO side

The email from Cool Ideas:

" *** The Frogfoot speed changes are being implemented by Frogfoot starting 1 February 2023, these changes may take up to 2 weeks to implement."

Quite amazing that on the back of a new cable landing in SA which will effectively lower fibre prices, they all put them up now.

The cable landing has no impact on the FNO networks, the new cable will mostly just give ISPs more options/backups for international traffic.

Sorry to change topic slightly, has openserve got anything in the pipeline as well?

Quite amazing that on the back of a new cable landing in SA which will effectively lower fibre prices, they all put them up now.
Seeing as you're the expert, explain how 3rd party back-haul capacity makes FNO's operational costs cheaper. :sneaky:

They still need to BUY capacity - it's still a finite resource, and most often it is used for redundancy. Also the additional costs are so small compared to the large speed upgrades we're getting.

Seeing as you're the expert, explain how 3rd party back-haul capacity makes FNO's operational costs cheaper.

They still need to BUY capacity - it's still a finite resource, and most often it is used for redundancy. Also the additional costs are so small compared to the large speed upgrades we're getting.

That and UPS's are no longer able to withstand prolonged loadshedding depending on how big the node is. FNO's usually have generators running. There are quite a lot of costs involved and the landing of a new undersea cable won't drastically reduce prices unless you can get transit to EU over that cable for like $0.03 per Mbps which will never happen because even if the cable is there already it has operational costs.

For prices to reduce significantly we need stable power + stronger Rand.

So I am with homeconnect on frogfoot and we had a increase a few months ago, so I find it interesting that frogfoot now claim no increases since 2021, yet that was the reason given by homeconnect.

@AfriNatic Just heard from one ISP that Frogfoot is charging customers a R750 penalty fee for downgrading. Is this the same for you? Assuming it does not apply as Afrihost is absorbing the costs, but would be interesting to now if its common practice to offload that fee to the customer?

@AfriNatic Just heard from one ISP that Frogfoot is charging customers a R750 penalty fee for downgrading. Is this the same for you? Assuming it does not apply as Afrihost is absorbing the costs, but would be interesting to now if its common practice to offload that fee to the customer?

I would need to confirm the amount but we don't usually disclose these fees, yes there are fees for downgrading even on Openserve that we absorb.

07 Feb (1 week in)

Speedtest shows that upgrade hasn't happened here (Pinelands, Cape Town) yet.

FF 100/100 trenched.

Back