From Brazil to South Africa and back in 98ms

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Can't do remote surgery if there is a 500ms latency to the surgeon.

And what the fsck does that have to do with the success of 5G in SA?

Even without the SACS cable, the latency between US and SA is only around 270ms...

quovadis

Executive Member
So basically the latency difference is negligible or worse going via Brazil to the US.

ToxicBunny

So basically the latency difference is negligible or worse going via Brazil to the US.

Yeah pretty much... 40ms off it seems...

Every bit helps of course, but its not earth shattering really.

Thor

Honorary Master
And what the fsck does that have to do with the success of 5G in SA?

Even without the SACS cable, the latency between US and SA is only around 270ms...

That is the whole point of the 5G hype is it not, real-time? Sub 1ms latency services we cannot imagine yet is what the other article quoted. Otherwise, why would I care about 5G if 4G can do it.

I am just saying without countrywide infrastructure (to other countries where the services are) 5G won't live up to the hype, lowering our latency to the US will be very important.

ToxicBunny

That is the whole point of the 5G hype is it not, real-time? Sub 1ms latency services we cannot imagine yet is what the other article quoted. Otherwise, why would I care about 5G if 4G can do it.

I am just saying without countrywide infrastructure (to other countries where the services are) 5G won't live up to the hype, lowering our latency to the US will be very important.

ummm they are talking about first hop with sub 1ms latency... nothing else.

5G is faster than 4G by a country mile which is why you should care.

Our latency to the US is not going to make a jot of a difference as to whether 5G is a success in SA or not.

quovadis

Executive Member

5G is the technology between the endpoint device and the tower not to the rest of the country or another country.

Johand

Expert Member
5G won't live up to the hype

Yes. There are some awesome things with 5G but it won't be the magic people it claims to be. Sure maybe a couple of ms off latency. But otherwise wise ... it depends on spectrum, and physical environment, and number of towers, etc, etc. There are so many caveats with the benefits of 5G that people will be disappointed.

Yeah pretty much... 40ms off it seems...

Every bit helps of course, but its not earth shattering really.

Redundancy! Once the brexit riots cause that little island of theirs to sink we will be glad for another path :)

Thor

Honorary Master
5G is faster than 4G by a country mile which is why you should care.
We barely have 4G here I would like networks to focus on that first. 5G is overhyped if download speeds is all people care about.

Thor

Honorary Master
5G is the technology between the endpoint device and the tower not to the rest of the country or another country.
Not so sure about that - would make for better backhaul capacity?

quovadis

Executive Member
Redundancy! Once the brexit riots cause that little island of theirs to sink we will be glad for another path :)

The more competition the better but it should be touted as improved access to South America - it would be interesting to know what impact ZA's traffic to the US would have though.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
All I have to say is my favourite computer game has a server in Brazil, so for my use case, this is going to make a significant difference, compared to connecting to their London server!

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
All I have to say is my favourite computer game has a server in Brazil, so for my use case, this is going to make a significant difference, compared to connecting to their London server!
Most games these days have a server there because of AWS.