From Heita to Telkom Mobile to Telkom

kianm

Honorary Master
As long as the mobile division doesn't actually disappear. I like their mobile data pricing, with whatever name it comes as

Arthur

Honorary Master
At last. Should have been that all along.

Now if only I can get my SIM changed from 8ta to Telkom. They can't do it. Only 8ta nanoSIMs available. I've always detested the name 8ta.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan

Now if only I can get my SIM changed from 8ta to Telkom. They can't do it. Only 8ta nanoSIMs available. I've always detested the name 8ta.
Surely you don't see the SIM as it is in your device?

ttygt

Do you wanna see my baby pics too?
Should also make nice article.

b166er

Vitai said that the Telkom brand was well-established in South Africa, and that it was important to leverage off the strong Telkom brand equity.
Is he really that uninformed? The Telkom "brand" is universally hated. Branding something with the Telkom logo is like covering it with manure, dipping it in incompetence, spraying it with laziness and sticking it into a barrel to ferment.

Tinuva

The Magician
Surely you don't see the SIM as it is in your device?
Actually it does. My phone has a 8.ta menu item from the sim instead of TelkomSA from the newer sims. Also if i drag down the notification area on android, it shows me as on the 8.ta network instead of TelkomSA network my other phone with newer sim shows.

Personally, I don't really care what name it shows on the phone.

Swa

Honorary Master
Is he really that uninformed? The Telkom "brand" is universally hated. Branding something with the Telkom logo is like covering it with manure, dipping it in incompetence, spraying it with laziness and sticking it into a barrel to ferment.
Actually only a few hundred thousand people have ever dealt with Telkom. Mobile operators are hated even more with +R40 million people having been screwed by Vodacom and MTN in some way. The Telkom brand isn't connected with any of that and it's well established.

Personally I don't care about anything other than the fact we only got 120GB and 200GB bundles after Telkom entered.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Who cares actually. As long as I get my LTE and at a good prepaid price, I'm happy :)

MickeyD

RIP
You made me search my archives for info....

Where they are NOW is what was proposed 6 years ago (in 10 days time it will be 6yrs)!! Then certain folks interfered and three scenarios were proposed...

1. Become a wholly owned subsidiary - separate legal entity
2. Become a division on their own, reporting to the CEO
3. Become integrated into the Telkom structure

Eventually #2 was enforced and it has now migrated to #3.

MickeyD

RIP
And did I say that Telkom Mobile was initially going to be the name?

Until certain folks interfered...