From Vikings to Richard Dawkins – The origins of common tech terms

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
From Vikings to Richard Dawkins – The origins of common tech terms

Unfamiliar terminology is a common feature of modern tech and the Internet, and many of these terms have become second nature to users despite seemingly being nonsensical.

While some of these terms are self-explanatory, others come from unlikely sources that have nothing to do with the fields they are employed in.

Here are some well-known tech terms whose obscure etymologies might surprise you.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
For a while in early internet days (late 1990's) I recall 'meme' being used to refer to an 'idea', or the basic element of an idea - an idea building block. With everyone throwing 'memes' into the group, we could evolve new thinking.

RedViking

Nord of the South
For a while in early internet days (late 1990's) I recall 'meme' being used to refer to an 'idea', or the basic element of an idea - an idea building block. With everyone throwing 'memes' into the group, we could evolve new thinking.
Maybe memo?

garp

Executive Member
I clearly remember the word "meme" being used in pre-internet era 80's. It seems Dawkin's "meme" became itself a bit of a "meme" among the social science/anthropology/pop psychology/etc writers during the 80's - I didn't know it was Dawkins who coined it, though.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Come back and post it every week.
Maybe memo?
No. That is an old from the past used to CYA.

I looked up Internet Meme in Wikipedia (history): "The word meme was coined by Richard Dawkins in his 1976 book The Selfish Gene as an attempt to explain the way cultural information spreads; the concept of the Internet meme was first proposed by Mike Godwin in the June 1993 issue of Wired." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_meme