FTTH provider minefield

Drifter

Honorary Master
Damn, it's a nightmare trying to find an ISP for my switch to Fibre. I want at least 50/5 line, but the pricing is all over the place. I really need advice. Not keen on MWEB. Is VOX a good option? I have sent mails to the end of the earth, but no replies or quotes received as yet., from anyone.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
1. What area are you in?
2. Establish who is in the area as far as a provider of fibre infrastructure, (FNOs)
3. Lookup their websites and confirm coverage.
4. Choose a shortlist of potential ISPs.

Be realistic about the packages available. 50/5 does not exist, 10/5 appears to be the minimum around.

SuperHero Sarah

Company Representative
Company Rep
Why don't you take a look at RSAWEB's offerings? They are giving a free mini UPS with every package over 30MBps!

Drifter

Honorary Master
1. What area are you in?
2. Establish who is in the area as far as a provider of fibre infrastructure, (FNOs)
3. Lookup their websites and confirm coverage.
4. Choose a shortlist of potential ISPs.

Be realistic about the packages available. 50/5 does not exist, 10/5 appears to be the minimum around.
Uhm, 50/5 is listed on many many sites with FTTH offerings.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
Damn, it's a nightmare trying to find an ISP for my switch to Fibre. I want at least 50/5 line, but the pricing is all over the place. I really need advice. Not keen on MWEB. Is VOX a good option? I have sent mails to the end of the earth, but no replies or quotes received as yet., from anyone.

dasdk

It's complicated ;), but it's tricky we don't want to have to pay for customers to want to signup with us.
It’s called digital marketing
But word of mouth works for a lot of companies

Katelknaap

Why don't you take a look at RSAWEB's offerings? They are giving a free mini UPS with every package over 30MBps!
Just a shame your not willing to consider providing your existing customers with this mini UPS. Cant even buy it. What nonsense. Marketing 101, its much cheaper to keep your existing customers than to try and sign up new ones.

dasdk

Just a shame your not willing to consider providing your existing customers with this mini UPS. Cant even buy it. What nonsense. Marketing 101, its much cheaper to keep your existing customers than to try and sign up new ones.
You know this is so often forgotten
Retention is far superior and sustainable in the long run
Offering candy and then not living up to expectations will leave that candy tasting very bitter

Drifter

Honorary Master
Looking at RSAWEB, 100Mb up and down, free everything. R1089 pm.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Afrihost is great. Vox imposes a managed router on you that you can't access without jumping through a whole bunch of hoops.

There's also no such thing as "free" anything. Read the terms and conditions very carefully, you will see that almost all ISPs have clawback clauses for "free" installation and "free" routers.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Afrihost is great. Vox imposes a managed router on you that you can't access without jumping through a whole bunch of hoops.

There's also no such thing as "free" anything. Read the terms and conditions very carefully, you will see that almost all ISPs have clawback clauses for "free" installation and "free" routers.

Yes indeed. Once you scrutinize the terms you will realise free is not so free.

At Afrihost our terms are clear. You don't have look through pages of terms and conditions. They are listed on the signup page.

If you get installation for free then there is a fixed fee for a claw back @ R999 if you cancel before 6 months. After that there are no feed associated with cancelling. The router is yours to keep. R249 delivery fee or collect it for free.

If you pay for the installation like on Vumatel and FrogFoot then the 6 months does not apply to you and the router is still your free gift :)

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
50/5 is a Vumatel thing.
There is a technical paper, not technology dependent, that shows that the minimum return channel data rate required to ensure effective utilisation of the download data rate is 25%.
That means for 50 Mbps DL, UL needs to be at least 12.5 Mbs, or 10 Mbps. Therefore a 50/5 is just a complete rip off.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
There is a technical paper, not technology dependent, that shows that the minimum return channel data rate required to ensure effective utilisation of the download data rate is 25%.
That means for 50 Mbps DL, UL needs to be at least 12.5 Mbs, or 10 Mbps. Therefore a 50/5 is just a complete rip off.
In my experience, 10% is more than enough. While downloading at full speed, the upload is around 2% of the download.
9169699192.png

9170661538.png

9235061947.png

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
And your evidence is a set of speed tests?
Okay then ......
Methinks you need to and study the theory again.

Katelknaap

Looking at RSAWEB, 100Mb up and down, free everything. R1089 pm.
Been with Rsaweb for nearly a year on a 100Mb line and no real issues. Since Octotel's recent changes the 100Mb service can be had for less through Cool Ideas and others.