Full Jails a Sign that NPA is working: Radebe

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Busy courts and over-crowded jails indicate that the NPA is doing a good job, Justice Minister Jeff Radebe said on Wednesday.

He made the equation when pressed by the media about the National Prosecuting Authority's (NPA) failure to heed the Supreme Court of Appeal's order to release the so-called Zuma spy tapes, and its decision to go to court to challenge the effective reinstatement of senior prosecutor Glynnis Breytenbach.

"I am satisfied that they are doing a good job. If we look at the number of people that our courts convict on a daily basis, if you look at the number of prisoners that are in our courts, there is a complaint that there is over-crowding of our prisons," he told journalists ahead of debate on his budget vote in the National Assembly.

"People don't volunteer to go to prison. It is because we've got energetic prosecutors on all levels in our country who prosecute without fear or favour or prejudice."

Radebe became visibly irate when it was suggested that the argument was nonsensical because over-crowding was due in part to accused waiting for long periods for their cases to come to trial.

"The nonsense you are talking about is with you, not with the system," he retorted, ending the briefing.

Radebe declined to say whether the NPA would release the spy tapes if ordered to do so by the High Court in Pretoria.

"That matter is before our courts," he said.

The recordings formed the basis for a decision in 2009 by then acting NPA head Mokotedi Mpshe to drop corruption and fraud charges against President Jacob Zuma.

In March 2012, the Supreme Court of Appeal gave the NPA 14 days to produce the documents. But instead of handing the transcripts over in April last year, it gave them to Zuma's lawyer Michael Hulley.

Radebe said Zuma was still weighing the appointment of a new NPA head. Nomgcobo Jiba has been acting in the position since January 2011.

Source : Sapa /ef/tk/jk/th
Date : 29 May 2013 11:10

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I'll tell you what it is a sign of... the fact that we have rampant runaway crime in South Africa! :erm:

Wyzak

Expert Member
Full jails a sign that we have a crime pandemic in this country and that we are a violent nation.

jouda

Expert Member
Aaaaaand our jails have been full for how long now?

Question: How many jails have been built over the last few years?

KhoisanX

Expert Member
How many of those in jail are awaiting trial though, i.e. have not been convicted?

Grant

Honorary Master

or

The state legal aid services are failing in their duty

You can be assured, most in prison (sentenced) did not have highly skilled & experienced legal counsel

Cius

Executive Member
I'd have a lot more confidence in the NPA if the jails still held the likes of Shabir Shaik and Selebi. Right now it seems the prosecution is very much fearing. This line in particular I take issue with: "without fear or favour or prejudice"

I think I'll take Breytenbachs word over yours buddy.

McSack

Executive Member
No dwis ... it is a sign that your system and your jails are not a deterrent to criminals :mad:

F1 Fan

Expert Member
How do these guys get appointed? This is one of thee stupidest things I have ever heard. So if I build a jail that accomodates 10 people in a country that has a population of 2million, and it has 10 inmates, the law has done it's work? Dumbass, wake up and look at whats happening around.

I would estimate that at the very least 50% of the people that should be in prison are in prison.

Albereth

Honorary Master
Full prisons is an indication of how rampant crime is. Even an ineffective prosecuting authority could fill the jails - sort of shooting fish in a barrel. And it probably has less to do with a competent NPA and more to do with an even more incompetent defence lawyer and a magistrate who doesn't take crap.

Where you see how good it is in the high profile cases. Andries Tatane, J Arthur Brown, Zumatello, Glynnis Breytenbach (although that was slightly different). Those have all be failures in one way or another.