• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

'Full Metal Jacket' actor R. Lee Ermey dies at age 74

crackersa

Honorary Master
RIP

“Only steers and queers come from Texas”

“Marines keep heaven packed with fresh souls”

“This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will…
Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.”

Last edited:

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Ah man, RIP!

"From now on, you are Private Pile. You know why? Because you are a pile of sh*t Private Pile!"

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Haven't seen that one before, doesn't seem right for rants to be PG rated...
I saw the man in action for the very first time in that long forgotten awesome sci-fi series, only saw FMJ later in life and realized he was type-cast into the role he was born to play in every movie :)

Cray

Honorary Master
I saw the man in action for the very first time in that long forgotten awesome sci-fi series, only saw FMJ later in life and realized he was type-cast into the role he was born to play in every movie :)
Yup, must be hard to have that iconic performance as his first major role, and in a Kubrick film too. Everything else he has done just doesn't have the same energy...

buka001

Expert Member
RIP.

My favourite piece of trivia for this legend -

According to director John Boorman, Stanley Kubrick wanted to cast Bill McKinney in the role of Gunnery Sgt. Hartman. However, Kubrick was so unsettled after viewing McKinney's performance in Deliverance (1972) that he declined to meet with him, saying he was simply too frightened at the idea of being in McKinney's presence. Kubrick then hired Tim Colceri to play Hartman. Colceri never got to play the role, as former US Marine Corps Drill Instructor R. Lee Ermey, consultant for the Marine Corps boot camp portion of the film, performed a demonstration on videotape in which he yelled obscene insults and abuse for 15 minutes without stopping, repeating himself or even flinching - despite being continuously pelted with tennis balls and oranges. Stanley Kubrick was so impressed that he cast Ermey as Hartman.

Cray

Honorary Master
RIP.

My favourite piece of trivia for this legend -

According to director John Boorman, Stanley Kubrick wanted to cast Bill McKinney in the role of Gunnery Sgt. Hartman. However, Kubrick was so unsettled after viewing McKinney's performance in Deliverance (1972) that he declined to meet with him, saying he was simply too frightened at the idea of being in McKinney's presence. Kubrick then hired Tim Colceri to play Hartman. Colceri never got to play the role, as former US Marine Corps Drill Instructor R. Lee Ermey, consultant for the Marine Corps boot camp portion of the film, performed a demonstration on videotape in which he yelled obscene insults and abuse for 15 minutes without stopping, repeating himself or even flinching - despite being continuously pelted with tennis balls and oranges. Stanley Kubrick was so impressed that he cast Ermey as Hartman.
Adding to that, Tim Colceri had a pretty memorable scene as the helicopter door gunner....

Door Gunner: Git some! Git some! Git some, yeah, yeah, yeah! Anyone who runs, is a VC. Anyone who stands still, is a well-disciplined VC! You guys oughta do a story about me sometime!

Private Joker: Why should we do a story about you?

Door Gunner: 'Cuz I'm so ****in' good! I done got me 157 dead gooks killed. Plus 50 water buffalo, too! Them's all confirmed!

Private Joker: Any women or children?

Door Gunner: Sometimes!

Private Joker: How can you shoot women or children?

Door Gunner: Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Ain't war hell?

TEXTILE GUY

Executive Member
RIP Gunny

"Here you are all equally worthless," Ermey/Hartman says by way of introduction. "And my orders are to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved Corps. Do you maggots understand that?"
Could you imagine trying that line in SA ..... the ous would go on strike, play the victim card, race card, clock card, graphics card and any other card .... and the whole economy would grind to a halt.