Full solar geyser vs retrofit

BasBas

are you getting the full tank units or just the pump? if so, could you point me in the direction? My father in law had one of the "all in one" tank and pump units, he paid back then around 40k for a 200L unit, and it died now, his quote was just over 30k for a replacement
I linked ITS above if you are interested in Split unit heat pumps, know quite afew people who have them (all older than 3 years now and still running smooth). My biggest regret is going solar and not getting one.

As for the combined units, my biggest fear is that once the tank gets damaged or bursts, the whole thing may become scrap metal.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
are you getting the full tank units or just the pump? if so, could you point me in the direction? My father in law had one of the "all in one" tank and pump units, he paid back then around 40k for a 200L unit, and it died now, his quote was just over 30k for a replacement
What died?

superskully

Expert Member
Just pump and use geyser as tank.
Its and alliance are the best in SA.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
What if you want to add additional panels over time? My thinking is that even if the main purpose is to heat the water in the geyser, the rest of the energy can be saved in batteries to power the lights and possibly a fridge?

Kawak

Here's what I did almost 13 years back after speaking to friends who were manufacturing solar geysers, install the low pressure units, add a small pressure pump, these units, especially the stainless steel ones, they last, I put 3x 200 litre onto my roof, passive vacuum tube units, one feeding the other feeding the other before it feeds into my home with 4 baths, over the years I upgraded the pump units to include smart pumping and now I have added solenoid valves with sonoff switches, one before the first geyser and two between the other two, controlling when to allow cold water to enter the geysers means I have super hot water all day, and only ever needing electric heat when totally overcast. The stainless steel tanks are still perfect after 13 years.

Chingha

Expert Member
This makes sense, use the water as a battery to store the heat.
I watched a TV program where they installed a heavily insulated 5000l tank which was heated with solar. This means you can use and replace water without changing the overall temp to much.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Here's what I did almost 13 years back after speaking to friends who were manufacturing solar geysers, install the low pressure units, add a small pressure pump, these units, especially the stainless steel ones, they last, I put 3x 200 litre onto my roof, passive vacuum tube units, one feeding the other feeding the other before it feeds into my home with 4 baths, over the years I upgraded the pump units to include smart pumping and now I have added solenoid valves with sonoff switches, one before the first geyser and two between the other two, controlling when to allow cold water to enter the geysers means I have super hot water all day, and only ever needing electric heat when totally overcast. The stainless steel tanks are still perfect after 13 years.
So bwho makes SS geyser tanks?

Fingerlessliz

Is a heat pump something you can install yourself? My husband's quite handy but he's never installed a heat pump before. Not sure if you need a professional to do it.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Is a heat pump something you can install yourself? My husband's quite handy but he's never installed a heat pump before. Not sure if you need a professional to do it.
More than possible. It is just another plumbing and electrical task.
But there will be some claiming it is not DIY.
Just RTFM!

Kawak

It's similar to an AC outdoor unit, need to fix on the side wall, or ground if really large, plumb a pipe loop from the geyser.

Kawak

So bwho makes SS geyser tanks?

Couldn't see larger ones from them, I know the people at China Gate still have some in their warehouses.

Tim_vb

Solar often requires a behavior change to reduce electricity consumption. To maximize savings you need to an intelligent timer (e.g. geyserwise) and only allow the element to turn on at 4pm once the sun has done it's job, the element will only consume power if the water is still below 55. This way you will always have hot water in the evenings (or mornings if you haven't had long showers in the evening).

Solar take far longer to warm up compared to an electric element so you need to give it time to do it's job

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Any recommended / reputable sites? I see every second sketchy website selling them

qscwbt

Expert Member
have a read. and some results from my setup

Fingerlessliz

have a read. and some results from my setup

This is exactly what I want to do. How does this setup work for you in winter?

qscwbt

Expert Member
This is exactly what I want to do. How does this setup work for you in winter?
hi

Below the hours the electric geyser had to work and will give a good indication of how it works in winter.

December 2016 15 hours
January 2017 18 hours
February 2017 18 hours
March 2017 16 hours
April 2017 22 hours
May 2017 22 hours
June 2017 45 hours
July 2017 48 hours
August 2017 36 hours
September 2017 28 hours
October 2017 26 hours
November 2017 12 hours
December 2017 15 hours

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
hi

Below the hours the electric geyser had to work and will give a good indication of how it works in winter.

December 2016 15 hours
January 2017 18 hours
February 2017 18 hours
March 2017 16 hours
April 2017 22 hours
May 2017 22 hours
June 2017 45 hours
July 2017 48 hours
August 2017 36 hours
September 2017 28 hours
October 2017 26 hours
November 2017 12 hours
December 2017 15 hours
That is very significant. My manual geyser control system ensure geysers are not on for more than 30 hours per month.
This indicates a cut to about half which is really impressive.

qscwbt

Expert Member
If I remember correctly a normal geyser would be on for 120 hour per month.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
If I remember correctly a normal geyser would be on for 120 hour per month.
If only controlled by the thermostat. Yes would agree with that figure for older geysers without added blankets and pipe insulation.