ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Haven't read the article, but agree wholeheartedly with the headline!

purpleonlineadmin

I think our gov has one objective. To troll everything until the country becomes a fossil, these guys priorities are back to front and we wonder why we such a mess. Sheesh

Bern

Expert Member
It would more sense to get data connections sorted everywhere first and then allow access to IPTV over that than the other way around which is the current plan (DTT first). I do think a Digital broadcast network can be a very simple, efficient means for distributing television currently, but data connectivity is far more important.

One option that could have been looked at is something like an national LTE network with "TV boxes" that can connect to the LTE network and access a specific set of content ala boxee and similar services. Gov could also have looked at a free local portal for information and selected videos (like educational stuff) which would have made more sense.

abandonallhope

Expert Member
Definitely makes sense. Subsidising DTSV decoders seems like a really idiotic idea regardless.

Happy Camper

Expert Member
Definitely makes sense. Subsidising DTSV decoders seems like a really idiotic idea regardless.

At least with internet access you have the whole world opened up to you, in terms of education that is priceless! Rather that than being bombarded with the crap DSTV spews forth.

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
All new TVs will have the new DTSV tuners installed eventually. The setup box might become obsolete

Praeses

Expert Member
IPTV makes much more sense...but I guess less people will get dirty money in the process if we don't go with digital TV decoders :p

abandonallhope

Expert Member
At least with internet access you have the whole world opened up to you, in terms of education that is priceless! Rather that than being bombarded with the crap DSTV spews forth.
Exactly, not to mention the fact that Multichoice also believes in selling a "premium" service at criminal rates.

With an internet connection you have infinitely more possibilities.

Once again though, our government is not interested in progress. It is apparent in more or less everything they do.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
All new TVs will have the new DTSV tuners installed eventually. The setup box might become obsolete

Very much doubt it....

We seem to be hellbent on making out stuff non-standard, and the tv manufacturers will not build a model of the set just to meet our small markets stupid requirements.

Happy Camper

Expert Member
Very much doubt it....

We seem to be hellbent on making out stuff non-standard, and the tv manufacturers will not build a model of the set just to meet our small markets stupid requirements.

Replace 'requirements' with 'greed' and I think you're on to something!

BruceA

Agreed, but these decoders are to receive SABC channels, and have nothing to do with DSTV or Multichoice (except maybe the MNET terrestrial channel). They will be required to receive the current terrestrial TV services (plus some new ones, maybe) after the analogue signal is turned off. I also think they will use it as a way of forcing people to pay their TV Licence, but no-one is talking about that!

Happy Camper

Expert Member
Agreed, but these decoders are to receive SABC channels, and have nothing to do with DSTV or Multichoice (except maybe the MNET terrestrial channel). They will be required to receive the current terrestrial TV services (plus some new ones, maybe) after the analogue signal is turned off. I also think they will use it as a way of forcing people to pay their TV Licence, but no-one is talking about that!

My apologies, clearly i just like dissing dstv :eek: :D. Regardless, the same applies to any TV provider, it's an insult to our intelligence and should be banned outright :D The user should have choice, about what to watch and when to watch, and what he/she is subjected to (ie bull**** soapies and tv advertisements) and one can only get that from the internet.

chrisc

Executive Member
Its is R2.65 million today, but in a few years it will be another R5 million required. And for what? To watch more SABC crap! These communication ministers do not have the appreciation of what will make the country go forward in the best way and are stuck with their narrow concepts which they think we need.

rorz0r

Executive Member
Access to the internet doesn't serve the ruling party, while access to SABC does.

robgun

I agree 100%. Why waste time and money on a fading technology when the most obvious idea would be to develop the most versatile infrastructure. So backward.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Has MTN been living under a rock or something? The time to redirect these funds has come and gone.