FW de Klerk: There is an element of truth that life and public services were better under the apartheid government.

yebocan

Executive Member
There was a time where the post office delivered the post. a Time where SABC made a profit. a Time where SAA made a profit. a Time where Eskom was making a profit. a Time where your tax paid for the highways and not the eToll scam.
there was a time that I was not able to buy property in areas of my choosing, nor able to vote for a party of my choosing....but yea post was delivered...

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
There was a time where the post office delivered the post. a Time where SABC made a profit. a Time where SAA made a profit. a Time where Eskom was making a profit. a Time where your tax paid for the highways and not the eToll scam.
We have too many non-payers (for both services and tax) in SA now for public services to make a profit, and that part of the population keeps growing faster than the rest.

Not sure what happened to SAA though as they are mainly serving people who have money.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Ok got to that point where he made that statement, and yeah his statement is pretty damned accurate.

What I did notice though, is it looks like the interviewer is fscking around on his phone whilst FW is answering him... fscking rude little shyte if that is the case.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Public services? Like trains and buses? Can't remember ever seeing them being burned down, back then....
Thats because the law dealt heavily with terrorist activity.
Any attack on public services is and should be classified as terrorism against the state and thereby treated accordingly.
However it is now considered to be just your normal criminal activity with little to no retribution.

Nick333

Honorary Master
We have too many non-payers (for both services and tax) in SA now for public services to make a profit, and that part of the population keeps growing faster than the rest.

Not sure what happened to SAA though as they are mainly serving people who have money.
I'll believe that when government departments aren't disappearing billions of their budget every year.

rambo919

Expert Member
Some people stretch the full/complete story long enough to prove whatever point they are trying to prove..... stretch long enough and u'll get there.

rambo919

Expert Member
Thats because the law dealt heavily with terrorist activity.
Any attack on public services is and should be classified as terrorism against the state and thereby treated accordingly.
However it is now considered to be just your normal criminal activity with little to no retribution.
Terrorists are running the government.... what else would happen?

3WA

Executive Member
there was a time that I was not able to buy property in areas of my choosing, nor able to vote for a party of my choosing....but yea post was delivered...
This.

I don't care about government delivering health or education. I can get that stuff myself from the private sector. I care about not having an artificial cap on my career, being able to go where I want, live where I want, do who I want.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
This.

I don't care about government delivering health or education. I can get that stuff myself from the private sector. I care about not having an artificial cap on my career, being able to go where I want, live where I want, do who I want.
Except you still have to pay the government for their inability to deliver on those things.....

3WA

Executive Member
Except you still have to pay the government for their inability to deliver on those things.....
I think of it as South Africa tax. I pay it to develop the poor, the poor vote ANC, ANC waste money, poor stay poor. Fine by me, as long as society remains stable.

garp

Executive Member
You're simply not allowed to say or even think what he said. The totalitarians will remove his Nobel prize as a result of this thought crime, mark my words.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I think of it as South Africa tax. I pay it to develop the poor, the poor vote ANC, ANC waste money, poor stay poor. Fine by me, as long as society remains stable.
If they delivered in those areas, I would possibly agree, but they aren't even delivering in those areas. (well other than keeping the poor poor of course)

Education is a fsckup completely, Healthcare is a fsckup completely....

ForceFate

Honorary Master
For many blacks certainly. The apartheid government actually built hospitals for black areas and made sure they were run properly for a start. There are actually fewer government run medical departments in PE now than before 1994 and they are mostly very poorly run.
I honestly want to know where this was. Close to townships? Majority of black people lived in the homelands.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
You're simply not allowed to say or even think what he said. The totalitarians will remove his Nobel prize as a result of this thought crime, mark my words.
He also explained why public services were better during apartheid. The ANC have been employing inexperienced cadres instead of people fit for the job.

That doesn't make for a clickbait title though.

3WA

Executive Member
If they delivered in those areas, I would possibly agree, but they aren't even delivering in those areas. (well other than keeping the poor poor of course)

Education is a fsckup completely, Healthcare is a fsckup completely....
I don’t have the power to break that cycle. Only government does (poor communities aren’t profitable for private sector).

There’s a reason that service delivery is best where political competition is strongest. And voters in each community have the power to introduce competition.