FW de Klerk: There is an element of truth that life and public services were better under the apartheid government.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
And that is the sad part of all of this.
Not everything maybe only 20% of what the nats did was bad.
and Not everything the ANC is doing and did is bad. maybe 20% of what the ANC has done is good.

koeks525

Expert Member
eNCA loves stirring the pot... especially now that it is election season... more clicks, views and moola for them. People get triggered, other political parties and naive followers of these parties get triggered... more easy news for eNCA to capitalize on.

Only went 3 minutes into the first clip... won't be entertaining this schitshow.

daveza

Honorary Master
Yeah, I used to stay out late after school playing cricket with friends and roaming around the neighborhood, not having to worry about crime.

If I ever have kids, they wouldn't be able to do the same.
Many things have changed - kids don't walk to school anymore, they don't even cycle to school - although I'm not sure it's due to crime but more to lazy entitled children.

Walk through any CBD at night - hell no.

Stop at a picnic table on a long journey and spend an hour having lunch .... nah.

But to an extent we are just experiencing what has been daily life for blacks for decades.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
eNCA loves stirring the pot... especially now that it is election season... more clicks, views and moola for them. People get triggered, other political parties and naive followers of these parties get triggered... more easy news for eNCA to capitalize on.

Only went 3 minutes into the first clip... won't be entertaining this schitshow.
why? are you uncomfortable in the presence of the truth? Or are embarrassed when someone shows just how bad the ANC is and has been for this country?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Many things have changed - kids don't walk to school anymore, they don't even cycle to school - although I'm not sure it's due to crime but more to lazy entitled children.

Stop at a picnic table on a long journey and spend an hour having lunch .... nah.

But to an extent we are just experiencing what has been daily life for blacks for decades.
There are more cars on the roads. Even what was once backwaters of the country has considerable traffic. I wouldn't send my kid to school on a bicycle because of that.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
and Not everything the ANC is doing and did is bad. maybe 20% of what the ANC has done is good.
Maybe you just picked an arbitrary percentage and went with it. Maybe you're correct. Maybe you're not.

surface

Executive Member
You are about 17.3% correct. Or close to it.

Moto Guzzi

It seems the good honest hardworking people and you find them in any country, any race, its just who they are, those that carry the...... parasites, criminals, laziers, destroyers etc, are dying out worldwide as time steps on, the scale has tipped and therefore the support of good life is diminishing for most worldwide, in the end the time runs out for all.

dlk001

Executive Member
He's not wrong. People who lived in the suburbs appear to have enjoyed world class services.
He is 100% correct. We should all vote for a party that would bring back Apartheid. :unsure::giggle:

Last edited:

aleksandar

Baragwanath wasn't in the homelands. It was initially not meant for black people, though it was later converted.

As I pointed out in my post, majority of black people lived in the homelands and not the townships.
@Nick333 pointed out that that apartheid government built hospitals for black people.

I honestly want to know where this was. Close to townships? Majority of black people lived in the homelands.
You said that you were not aware of it and asked where they were which I pointed out to you.

It was made available for black people in 1948 when SA government bought it, coincidentally at the same time when apartheid government came into power.
Regarding homelands, I do not know but can do further research. In any case google is your friend and that is how I found most of the info since I did not attend SA school or attended SA history classes.

Bargwanah is really fascinating facility.

Just to add as person that was persecuted too on religious basis I consider Apartheid a crime and info provided is in no way to justify it.

buka001

Expert Member
A lot of Apartheid nostalgia is predicated on the fallacy that service delivery was good.

Yes, it was good for 10% of the population. It was good because the vast majority of the governments efforts were legislated to cater for the minority. It is easy to deliver when you focus on such a narrow objective.

The effort that was directed towards the majority was somewhat incidental, somewhat planned to suite an economic purpose (services for a township close to a mine) and in some cases to suite an ideological objective.

aleksandar

The effort that was directed towards the majority was somewhat incidental, somewhat planned to suite an economic purpose (services for a township close to a mine) and in some cases to suite an ideological objective.
Absolutely no one builds one of the biggest hospitals for altruistic reasons in township.
What I think makes people angry is fact that what was built was not maintained or extended to help majority of the people.
Just look at the schools, how can it be that still today we have hundreds if not thousands schools with pit toilets?!
Those same homelands are not developed today after 25 years of democracy.

dlk001

Executive Member
A lot of Apartheid nostalgia is predicated on the fallacy that service delivery was good..
I can only speak for my homeland Ciskei and life wasn't better under apartheid. I have not seen life worse or better in Khayelitsha, Gugulethu, Nyanga over the years but I will let the people who grew up in those areas speak the facts.

koeks525

Expert Member
why? are you uncomfortable in the presence of the truth? Or are embarrassed when someone shows just how bad the ANC is and has been for this country?
The country being run in an inefficient manner is no secret... this has been echoed over and over and over in the last decade. I just get annoyed at eNCA's clickbaity, pot stirring, journalism style now days. eNCA did this not to "expose" the truth - we all know the truth. They did this to stir the pot, bring in the likes, views and drama, then capitalize on that drama for more likes, views and drama.

In a few days time, a couple of politicial organizations are going to howl... then eNCA is going to report on that too... its so repetitive, its boring.

Last edited:

Sollie

Expert Member

In terms of crime, crime was less, although dealt with differently via the local tribal chiefs and captains etc, If they felt it was needed, the cops were called, but it hardly ever happened. Let's just say it was kinder calling the cops first ~1970's. I had the advantage of growing up on a farm bordering the homelands.

Example: When it became popular to burn down schools and stuff, one area decided they rather liked their local school. The trouble makers were caught, sjambokked till they bled, then thrown into a bath with salt water. This continued for a week. The school survived.

ɹǝuuᴉM

Expert Member
there was a time that I was not able to buy property in areas of my choosing, nor able to vote for a party of my choosing ....but yea post was delivered...
And now that you are able to vote for a party of your choosing, have things improved? #LiveWithIt