FYI :Will I be able to use Vodafone Mobile Broadband if I am running Windows® 7

ngwenyas

It doesnt work on any Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit in my home but it does work on my laptop with Windows XP Professional, and it worked with RC1 (build 7100) of Windows 7 ultimate on the exact same machine about 2 weeks ago. The only logical conclusion is that it is software related but seeing as it doesnt get to actually using the device the conclusion I draw is that windows has some incompatibility with something related to this kind of device (very specisfic I know, but this is what Im trying to figure out). This problem is also not device specific as the other modem I have tried is not the same model. As for power from the USB ports I have tried about 8 different ports on 2 different machines (one Asus MB the other a ASRock), same problem. Any other ideas?\

(Additional thought: I was hoping the fix on the Vodacom site would fix the way Windows tries to detect these devices, and that would be the problem. But alas, no joy!

Its definately a windows inf driver missing. I noticed that a fresh clean install works until a windows update is done. I did a system restore on all the machines i had and the modem works. :D . I will try find exactly which part of the updates screws up the modem drivers. mayb do selective updates?

ngwenyas

I've got a Huawei E272 and I just freshly installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Now I have a unique problem it seems, as after going from the RC1 version of windows 7 (where the modem worked perfectly) the modem just refuses to work. I have tried different versions of VMC, MDMA, reinstalling the device driver, installing different versions of the device driver, tried it on another computer in my home on which I have also freshly installed windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, the fix on vodacom's site, emailing vodacom support about a week ago (from whom Ive have only gotten the automated response), every possible USB port on my PC, windows update, and just about everything else that came to mind. The modem wil not start up properly. This also happens with my brother's older modem (not sure what the device designation is). Windows will detect a removable device and immediately remove it again, so with the system sounds enabled I can hear the beeps for removeable device activity every 2-3 seconds. Device manager flashes like a mad bull trying to figure out what the device is doing while it is connected to the system. This has made it nearly impossible to try different drivers. As far as I can figure nobody has had this problem because I cant find related posts. Now any suggestions would be of great help.

system restore before updates.

Werfetter

system restore before updates.

Uhm, that would be perfect if I could actually connect to the internet to do a system update. This install is still the way it comes off the disc ... the only other connection I have is at work and since I dont own a laptop (yet) taking my desktop to work to update windows seems a bit excessive. As for system updates, I have checked if there are any installed and none are listed. :(

If I could find out exactly which driver is messing with the detection I would have somewhere to start!

ngwenyas

Uhm, that would be perfect if I could actually connect to the internet to do a system update. This install is still the way it comes off the disc ... the only other connection I have is at work and since I dont own a laptop (yet) taking my desktop to work to update windows seems a bit excessive. As for system updates, I have checked if there are any installed and none are listed. :(

If I could find out exactly which driver is messing with the detection I would have somewhere to start!

Sorry for not coming across clearly to you. What i meant is restore your machine to the last time your modem worked but preferrably restore to the last time your machine did an update. It is possibly the windows updates that courses all of this. Let me know what happens.

Werfetter

Sorry for not coming across clearly to you. What i meant is restore your machine to the last time your modem worked but preferrably restore to the last time your machine did an update. It is possibly the windows updates that courses all of this. Let me know what happens.

That would mean installing Windows XP pro, which I know does work (tested on other machine) It is newly bought Windows 7 Ultimate (64), I installed it and this is the only thing that doesnt work. No updates to restore to (no previous state to restore to unless formatted is an acceptable state :p), no restore points have ever been created and if I wanted to go back to XP I would have done so. I have no other files (service packs, etc) that could have changed/updated windows. It was a complete format. The modem has NEVER worked since I installed Windows 7 ...

ngwenyas

That would mean installing Windows XP pro, which I know does work (tested on other machine) It is newly bought Windows 7 Ultimate (64), I installed it and this is the only thing that doesnt work. No updates to restore to (no previous state to restore to unless formatted is an acceptable state :p), no restore points have ever been created and if I wanted to go back to XP I would have done so. I have no other files (service packs, etc) that could have changed/updated windows. It was a complete format. The modem has NEVER worked since I installed Windows 7 ...

:crying: I'm so sorry bud. Now i dont know what to say to you. I'll keep you updated if something comes up, the guys from Zte and microsoft are supposedly going to give me feedback sometime next week :whistling:

Werfetter

:crying: I'm so sorry bud. Now i dont know what to say to you. I'll keep you updated if something comes up, the guys from Zte and microsoft are supposedly going to give me feedback sometime next week :whistling:

Till next week then...

Peter Brink

ZTEk3520-z / Huawei K3520-z and WINDOWS 7 DOESNT WORK

For the love of everything sacred can someone help me with this.

I have a usb modem, Vodacom says its a Huwaei, the device manager says its a ZTE. Anyway, I have downloaded the latest software from both Vodacom and Voadfone, as well as the hotfix. Hardly works, either cant find modem or cant find network, when it does it gives me a RAS error.

Trolled the web, everyone says the lates version should work, but on my computer - Win7 64bit, HELL NO!!!!!

Tried running it in compatibility mode with XP SP2, still no joy.

PLEASE, PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
I have a usb modem, Vodacom says its a Huwaei, the device manager says its a ZTE.
What does the label say? If it ends with a '-Z', you have a ZTE.

Have you tried installing the latest full-fat version of VMC (not the lite version that goes on your modem)?

Iam3G

Expert Member
For the love of everything sacred can someone help me with this.

I have a usb modem, Vodacom says its a Huwaei, the device manager says its a ZTE. Anyway, I have downloaded the latest software from both Vodacom and Voadfone, as well as the hotfix. Hardly works, either cant find modem or cant find network, when it does it gives me a RAS error.

Trolled the web, everyone says the lates version should work, but on my computer - Win7 64bit, HELL NO!!!!!

Tried running it in compatibility mode with XP SP2, still no joy.

PLEASE, PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP

Remove everything Vodafone from the PC(including deleting the folder from Program Files after un-installation), then install VMC 9.4.3. Dont install the embedded Software.

Peter Brink

Thanks so much, now being a technophobe, exactly how do I do that?? ;) Will that then make it work on Win 7?

For interest sakes, I used a friends MTN modem, (unlocked) its a E172 I think, with the latest vodafone 9.4.4 and it works amazingly super well!! Put my modem in and I wanna get a sniper rifle and climb a tower

Iam3G

Expert Member
The Hotfix wont work, as its for Huawei Modems. ZTE is not Huawei.

Go to Control Panel. Add/Remove Programs. Scroll down to the bottom and remove all instances of Vodafone Mobile Connect.

After that process is done, go to Program Files in My Computer, and delete the Vodafone Folder.

Download and install VMC 9.4.3. For interest sake, after installation, restart your PC.

This always works for me.

Peter Brink

Cant find anything in program files, but did find something referring to vodafone in the registry:

default reg_sz C:\progra~2\vodafone\vodafo~1\bin\phoenix.exe

Iam3G

Expert Member
Cant find anything in program files, but did find something referring to vodafone in the registry:

default reg_sz C:\progra~2\vodafone\vodafo~1\bin\phoenix.exe

Leave the registry. Just un-install and remove the folder if you haven't already. And then install 9.4.3.

VodacomData

Vodacom Representative
Company Rep
WINDOWS 64bit users please read here {FIX error 31} Huawei cards.

Hi Guys

MOD please sticky

We have a fix for VMC on Windows 7 64bit only for those struggling with Huawei datacards.

THE FIX REQUIRES YOU TO EDIT THE REGISTRY KEYS SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL
VODACOM CANNOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY THE END USER WHILE EDITING THE REGISTRY

Huawei Win7 64bit Fix (error code 31).doc
WinDriver 3.10.00.11.zip

Thanks
VodacomData

P.s we awaiting on ZTE to complete the exe. but being Chinese new year around the corner there will be delays.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
@VodacomData. I have merged your thread and updated the first post. Makes way more sense to keep things together.