Galaxy Note9

jnvdh06

The update schedule for XFA is really abysmal. Almost end of April and still on the January patch whereas XFE had been getting updates almost each month. Really unacceptable and disappointing.

Big-Mac

The update schedule for XFA is really abysmal. Almost end of April and still on the January patch whereas XFE had been getting updates almost each month. Really unacceptable and disappointing.
Why is that anyway? Geez i regret not flashing XFE, we don't have Good lock yet

Charly

I've had a cheap Chinese phone that's been keeping me going since the end of last year when I dropped my S8+ and they wanted R6k for a new screen and back glass and now it's time to upgrade. Would you guys suggest upgrading to the Note 9 now? I've been waiting for a few months and the contract prices haven't decreased at all. My upgrade period ends at the end of next month.

All my contract phones since the Note 2 have been Note phones besides the S8+. The S8+ was a nice phone but as long as the Note series stays good then I won't get anything else again.

1. Does the N9 have a flat screen? The curved screen of the S8+ had (in my opinion) no added benefit and meant that you couldn't get a decent screen protector and that the screen was ridiculously expensive to replace.
2. Would you guys say now is a bad time to upgrade - R799/month? And it seems to be exactly the same between all networks so perhaps there is some minimum price agreement with Samsung? Is the N10 going to be here on contract before September - if it's released in August?
3. I would only prefer the N10 if it had a bigger battery (unlikely?) and if its screen was flat. I'm not really bothered by the selfie camera pen or the extra cameras.
4. Would you guys suggest signing up for Samsung Care+ ? R1.3k for 2 repairs in 24 months where they can replace the front and back screen and the battery each time. R300 excess if only back glass. R1k excess for the front screen. Seems like a really good deal. Even just one screen replacement would mean that the policy and excess costed me less than half of what the repair would normally cost. And they replace the battery for free when replacing the screen! link (11.L)

Does anyone know if is it possible to get a Gear S3 as an extra on a contract from MTN? I seem to remember a similar option being offered when I got my s8+.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited:

jnvdh06

I've had a cheap Chinese phone that's been keeping me going since the end of last year when I dropped my S8+ and they wanted R6k for a new screen and back glass and now it's time to upgrade. Would you guys suggest upgrading to the Note 9 now? I've been waiting for a few months and the contract prices haven't decreased at all. My upgrade period ends at the end of next month.

All my contract phones since the Note 2 have been Note phones besides the S8+. The S8+ was a nice phone but as long as the Note series stays good then I won't get anything else again.

1. Does the N9 have a flat screen? The curved screen of the S8+ had (in my opinion) no added benefit and meant that you couldn't get a decent screen protector and that the screen was ridiculously expensive to replace.
2. Would you guys say now is a bad time to upgrade - R799/month? And it seems to be exactly the same between all networks so perhaps there is some minimum price agreement with Samsung? Is the N10 going to be here on contract before September - if it's released in August?
3. I would only prefer the N10 if it had a bigger battery (unlikely?) and if its screen was flat. I'm not really bothered by the selfie camera pen or the extra cameras.
4. Would you guys suggest signing up for Samsung Care+ ? R1.3k for 2 repairs in 24 months where they can replace the front and back screen and the battery each time. R300 excess if only back glass. R1k excess for the front screen. Seems like a really good deal. Even just one screen replacement would mean that the policy and excess costed me less than half of what the repair would normally cost. And they replace the battery for free when replacing the screen! link (11.L)

Does anyone know if is it possible to get a Gear S3 as an extra on a contract from MTN? I seem to remember a similar option being offered when I got my s8+.

Thanks a lot in advance!
1. It has a curved screen. In my opinion the Note series should have a flat screen as the curve gives no benefit other than aesthetics. It is really annoying when writing with the S-Pen and it glides off the screen. Also getting a good screen protector is extremely difficult as you mentioned.
2. I think the prices will drop only when the new Note phones come out. If the R799 is too much. I would rather go for a Samsung S10e.
3. If you want to wait for the Note 10. Hold out a little. It's only a couple of months away. I am certain though it will still have a flat screen and a camera cutout in the screen.
4. I haven't had Samsung Care yet, so can't really comment. I would just suggest to get a decent cover for your phone and take care of it ie be aware of where it is and how you hold it. If you have small hands maybe get a popsocket or similar.

Overall if you really still want a new phone. The Note 9 is a great device, and if you really like and use the S-Pen then it would be worthwhile to get.

Otherwise the new S-series phones are decent alternatives and if you want a flat screen the S10e is the only option at this moment

corwill

Vodacom April 2019 Security patch ( 509 mb )
including Improve performance -Camera

Attachments

• NOTE9_VODACOM APRIL19 PATCH.jpg
    NOTE9_VODACOM APRIL19 PATCH.jpg
    553.2 KB · Views: 45

Awesum

Expert Member
Finally...XFA April Update is out when everyone else is on the May update

Big-Mac

My phone is secured with intelligent scan, yesterday i was taking it out of my pocket touching the screen and i felt it vibrating, when i looked at it i saw this screen attached, it showed all notifications, mostly WhatsApp and each and every message I've received, read or not, which means basically a person can read your whole conversations even if your phone is locked i just figured out how it comes up, but i want to know how the hell do i turn that off!! Screenshot_20190521-081922_One UI Home.jpg

Big-Mac

My phone is secured with intelligent scan, yesterday i was taking it out of my pocket touching the screen and i felt it vibrating, when i looked at it i saw this screen attached, it showed all notifications, mostly WhatsApp and each and every message I've received, read or not, which means basically a person can read your whole conversations even if your phone is locked i just figured out how it comes up, but i want to know how the hell do i turn that off!! View attachment 661220
It's NotiStar from Good lock, you can turn it off or choose which Apps you want to see

JK1

Finally got a good deal and took out a contract on the Note 9.

I am migrating from a Note 3 so there are massive changes. I miss my action memo and cannot get it anywhere. Tried to down load it from APK Mirror but the S Note does not support it.

Any idea on where I can get action memo. I see a number of other alternatives but I am so used to action memo.

Thanks Johan

Bosbouer

Try xda developers. I have action note working on the note 8. I see mention that Pie stuffed it up on the note 9.

Haven't bothered trying to set it up on the note 9.

JK1

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried them as well as APK Mirror and Aptoide. Closest I could get to it was APK. As soon as you try to load it it says your phone is not compatable. Even tried it via S Note

So I guess you are right. I see you mention action note. So far I have tried Quick Notes, Squid, One Note and Pen Paper Note.

Thanks Johan.

corwill

Vodacom June 2019 Security update and camera improvements (night mode) ( Data 672 mb )

Tested night mode.
My impression of the quick test ...photo, seems to be very clear, ( much better /improved) than taking night photos without dedicated night mode.

20190705_034924.jpeg Screenshot_20190705-035025_Camera.jpeg