Galaxy S II, iPhone 4S or Blackberry???

s erxson

Hi all,

hoping to get some guidance here... I know there are a lot of these kind of threads, but hey, I rely on input from this site to make many important decisions... :wtf:

I know the iPhone Lovers will say iPhone, but I need to know why??? I have a 10.1 Tab and it works beautifully, love the Android Ice Cream Sandwich OS and interface and easily used as tethering hotspot and easy to copy files via USB. Thus the SII is a real option here... But the S III has been announced so what now? I can't wait, current phone (BB Torch) is falling apart!!

S II screen is just a little to big for one-handed use which bugs me...

And Blackberry has BIS, which is a real money saver, especially as I have a very e-mail intense job and all is free on BIS. But then again the same BIS has become quite unreliable in recent times ;)

What say you okes?

McCrazieGoalz

Expert Member
I don't know buddy.

I just saw this video on YouTube this morning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=Sbi5Q4mIFTg

Apple iPhone's Siri thinks Nokia Lumia 900 is "the best smartphone ever". The Nokia Lumia 800 is just the 900 without 4G.

By now I think Apple has caught wind of it so it will now say "it is the one you are holding" i.e the iPhone 4s.

They had to correct that one.

The decision is yours at the end of the day.

ClintX

Banned
At risk of us derailing this thread, once WP is capable of handling the tech that Nokia has at it's disposal (ie Pureview and the like) those Lumia phones are going to be the ones to beat I reckon. Stunning lookers and apparently the OS is a dream, by all accounts.You must see the ratings on Amazon.com for the Lumia 900:

329 reviews
289 five stars and 19 four stars.

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Lumia-W...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

genetic

Honorary Master
Stay away from Blackberry.

Get the SII, or if you can wait a few weeks, the SIII. iPhone = bleh.

This image from another thread describes the iPhone perfectly...

android-iphone.png

JStrike

Honorary Master
If you like Android, I would suggest the HTC One S (or One X) rather than the Galaxy 2 or 3 .
But you can't go wrong with an iPhone.
Neither can you with the Lumia 800 (or 900)
If you want a Blackberry, wait the the BlackBerry 10 devices get released at the end of this year

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Hi all,

hoping to get some guidance here... I know there are a lot of these kind of threads, but hey, I rely on input from this site to make many important decisions... :wtf:

I know the iPhone Lovers will say iPhone, but I need to know why??? I have a 10.1 Tab and it works beautifully, love the Android Ice Cream Sandwich OS and interface and easily used as tethering hotspot and easy to copy files via USB. Thus the SII is a real option here... But the S III has been announced so what now? I can't wait, current phone (BB Torch) is falling apart!!

S II screen is just a little to big for one-handed use which bugs me...

And Blackberry has BIS, which is a real money saver, especially as I have a very e-mail intense job and all is free on BIS. But then again the same BIS has become quite unreliable in recent times ;)

What say you okes?

Will give you my honest opinion.

I am an android/iOS owner and it is great, but when I came from BB I was rather shell shocked at the cost of data for just running stuff in the background like syncing mail etc - So if that is a consideration head over to BB.

The messaging etc on these to platforms are not nearly integrated as well as on BB, but you will e-mail and message without a problem with it still. There are some little things where BB spoiled you though that you will miss.

Other than that the other two platforms will beat any BB on anything else, but make totaly sure that you are ready for this. Data bundles are your friend.

Between the iPhone 4S and SGS2 I would go for the S2 based on two things - availability of the 4S and the fact that the S2 is much cheaper than the 4S now.

Between those two devices I also prefer the S2 as phone in general but that is just because the screen is bigger and the OS is less closed - don't like the restrictions form iOS on my 3G application download limit (really big bummer for me). iTunes is not that big an issue as some would make out, or not for me at least.

And on the hand thing, I use my S2 with one hand with no problem and my hand is not that big. My GF can't though, so go play with it first. If it is a big problem the iPhone might just be for you and because you already have a big tablet you don't really need a big phone.

Play with both then choose, they both are exceptional devices.

ClintX

Banned
I suppose I never factor in data costs as I bounce between uncapped ADSL on wifi at home and the office. I have a 10MB bold on with my contract and hardly ever use it.

A friend with a recently acquired iPhone got a shock R1000+ bill the first month after 2 years of averaging R400 pm.

GreyBush

Executive Member
Go look at unbiased reviews to see what phone has the higher rating and why.

I'd pick an iPhone if you have the cash to pimp it out... apps can get expensive.

s erxson

@phoneJunky... That is exatly my issue, do not want to be spending R1k on phone every month. but i have a 2Gb on my tablet that I am struggling to use each month, I even stream Friday rugby games but still lose out about 30% every month

Mtn however just advised that they have no more S2 and won't get more due to S3 launch... And also have no 4S's available!!!! I have checked some reviews but all come to about 8/10 for both phones. Same for the Blackberry Torch 9810 which is just the upgrade of what I have now (Torch 9800)...

I'm even less sure what to get now....... :confused:

McCrazieGoalz

Expert Member
The price of data should be falling further in the coming months with the new sea cable and all. And also because of the competition in the industry.

Cell C for instance has halved its data prices. So, the data benefit of BB's could soon become a myth.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
@phoneJunky... That is exatly my issue, do not want to be spending R1k on phone every month. but i have a 2Gb on my tablet that I am struggling to use each month, I even stream Friday rugby games but still lose out about 30% every month

Mtn however just advised that they have no more S2 and won't get more due to S3 launch... And also have no 4S's available!!!! I have checked some reviews but all come to about 8/10 for both phones. Same for the Blackberry Torch 9810 which is just the upgrade of what I have now (Torch 9800)...

Xperia s is nicer than S2 and same price range.

balrog

OK, I am not really a fanboy of any of the phones, so hopefully I can give a mstly unbiased opinion (let's hope!!)

I had a BB before, loved the keyboard - so quick and easy to type long messages. On the iPhone, I can type very quickly, and the iOS auto-correction workd great 99% of the time, but this only in English. As soon as I start typing Afrikaans, it is very slow, as I have to constantly correct the auto-correction (I know I can switch it off, but I want to teach it and hopefully get it up to the same speed and correction ability as for English. This last issue is the same I had on Android (w.r.t. the Afrikaans typing speed). Although I really loved Swype on Android - the iPhone could really do with Swype functionality.

My winner here is BB - due to the keayboard - I could type fast in any language. Second Android with Swype, and last iPhone.

Data charges - BB is a winner here. If you want to contain your mobile bill and still want to sync e-mail and surf the web, the cost for what you get is the best. iPhone and Android can bankrupt you with data charges!

Winner w.r.t. value for money for me, BB. Then iPhone, then Android.

Web browsing - BB SUCKS!! Yes, even the new browser. I would say Android is the best, with iPhone a close second. The whole Apple "we will not do Flash" thing just irks me completely - I was so used to play flash videos in my browser on Android, that it is a bit jarring having to use the Youtube app. But not a major trainsmash, but sites with Flash content just worked in Android, and with iPhone you get that crappy notificatio tht you need to download the plugin and sit with the ugly blank "holes".

Despite all the above though - I really dig my iPhone 4S. I use Siri (the male British one cause the sexy American chick one just doesn't understand me! LOL!) once in a while and it does come in useful. I have a US iTunes account and the number and quality of the apps is just SOO much better than anything on Android.

If you ever plan to sell your phone to sponsor a new one, then the iPhone in my experience has a much better re-sale value than other phones. It makes a great iPod Touch and portable gaming device for the kids once you move on. Could save you from buying a dedicated gaming device (PSVita, PSP, DS etc.)

BUT, I am in a fortunate position whereby my use of the phone is pretty much sponsored, so no worries about data charges etc. If I was paying out of my own pocket, I would probably have a BB and not an iPhone. Android is cool if you gonna be loading custom ROMS, developing and all kinds of nerdy stuff (yes, that is why I had an Android :) ). But I don't have time for that anymore, so that kills the magic of Android for me.

SO, depending on your specific needs - get the phone that will fit you best. For ME - the iPhone is the best, for YOU, maybe BB or Android.

Good luck with your decision!

phoneJunky

Executive Member

Cell C has the S2 for 280 a month on active chat I think.

If I were you I would go for the S2 then, better value for money at this time.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
If you ever plan to sell your phone to sponsor a new one, then the iPhone in my experience has a much better re-sale value than other phones. It makes a great iPod Touch and portable gaming device for the kids once you move on. Could save you from buying a dedicated gaming device (PSVita, PSP, DS etc.)

biased glasses on*
xperia s is playstation certified :)

s erxson

jeez dude, well said!

Thanks for breaking that down... I agree and based on that the BB seems the best bet for me as I have access to btter browser on my tablet anyway.

Here is my problem with BB... they have not added anything new since the Torch (just put touch screen into other phones; bold & curve), which means if I upgrade to the "new" Torch all I get is a different color phone and I have to wait another 22 months!! That is my ONLY issue with BB at this stage... but it is a BIG issue!

A mate of mine has a S2 and it looks and handles GREAT, especially the Golf App which gives distances etc when playing unknow courses. I put this app onto my BB and oi vey... what a mess! No signal, no reply or no work... :)

But I guess that functionality comes at quite a couple of $$$ per month, which to me is a waste.

Thanks for everyone's insights, seems BB is the best bet, so I'll probably get a 4S :erm:

s erxson

I have heard an encountered the Xperia as being absolutely CRAP... #justsaying

s erxson

Not sure if it runs Windows Mobile, but if yes it is out of the question.

I will never run windos on my phone...