Galaxy S2 - controlling Depth of Field?

Inevitability

Expert Member
n00b photographer here...
just wanted to know how to set/control the depth of field using my Samsung Galaxy S2.

i notice that if i take a closeup, it automatically reduces the DoF (see below). But if I wanna do a pic where the subject is a distance from the camera, I don't know how to get it to limit the DoF to get only the subject into focus.

(oh, and please excuse my untidy desk :))

charged.jpg

Last edited:

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
That's how DOF works. Spend some time playing with the DOF Calculator. Pick a camera, pick a bunch of settings, and then play with one setting and see how it affects the DOF.

You need to be able to change the aperture to control it further. I doubt any phones allow this.

genetic

Honorary Master
You'll only ever get a narrow depth of field on a proper camera with a larger sensor and larger (possibly zoom) lens.

You'll get a narrower depth of field with macro photography with a cellphone or cheap "mik-en-druk" camera's.

MaximusZA

You might not be able to control you aperture on your phone but you can control the distance you are from you subject, if you want to blow out the back round get closer to your subject, if you had gotten closer to the charger in the pic above the backround would have been even more separated than it is there. So yes its not going to be as easy or look as good as it would with a DSLR with a good lens but you will still be able to, to a certain extent, separated your subject from the backround(blow out the backround).

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Fixed aperture and a small sensor . . . there's some good software available to create the illusion of a shallow DOF in post.