Galaxy S4 vs Galaxy S4 mini: what's in a name?

Die_Miek

When they released the s3 mini it was basically a s2. Seems this is also a s2

Pythonista

@Jan (author of article) - this is good. It gives a clear table layout of the features and exactly what the differences are. Thank you.

Haldex

Expert Member
I like it! Will definitely get one.
Just worried about the price with the rand dollar rates at the moment.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
It's great because it wouldn't feel like you're carrying a tablet around in your pocket.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
It's great because it wouldn't feel like you're carrying a tablet around in your pocket.
The S4 is marginally smaller than the S3, and my S3 most certainly never feels like a tablet. It's a great size, fits well in the hand and fits in any pocket just fine thanks to being so slim.

K

kingrob

@Jan (author of article) - this is good. It gives a clear table layout of the features and exactly what the differences are. Thank you.
+1

Very well written and will help people due for an upgrade to make the right decision.

Well done, Mister! :)

K3NS31

Expert Member
My 2c as an S3 Mini owner - When it was launched everybody complained about how much they'd down-specced the hardware, and about how this was basically a previous generation phone and rubbish etc.
First thing I did when I got mine was to install a CPU monitoring program (use it to check battery usage) - it tells you how much time your CPU spends in the various speed "states". A couple of months later, and my phone has yet to go into the top speed (1GHz). It maxxes out at 800MHz. Now to be fair, I haven't tried to install any heavy-duty games yet - just cut the rope etc.
But seriously, heavy-graphics games you'll play on your tab.
But I do all the other standard phone stuff - browsing, Navigating (GPS, bluetooth, 3G), pics and vids, keep lots of apps open at once - and it's fast.
So in my experience, the hardware is more than fast enough. And the S4 Mini gonna be faster?!?!

Also, the screen is awesome, the size is perfect (and the S4 is approx the same size with a bigger screen), camera's good, plenty RAM etc.
And I got mine on contract from Cell C for... R199 (I was already paying 100 for straight-up, so basically 100/month for this phone = R2400. That's a LOT of bang for my buck.)

So yeah, I'm really looking forward to the S4 Mini, even though I won't be able to upgrade to it since I'm not even using the full capacity of my S3 Mini yet.

theJonster

Awesome, contract due end of year, this will be nicely priced by then. My bird has the S3 Mini, really you don't need anything else from a phone. It never lags, it does everything android and it's a more suitable size for a phone. S4 will be rad.

LinuxMan

Expert Member
The smaller size is great, but the specs make me feel sad..
It is like a step back from a normal S3 :/